My husband and I are planning our winter vacation and have narrowed the choice to Tulum, Mexico or the Sol Melia Rio de Oro in Guardalavaca.
We have never done the BIG resort AI thing before but have read so many favourable posts on this resort that we are persuaded to give it a try.
Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated:
- best places to snorkel from shore in the area and how to get there (we want to see coral, not just sand and fish)
- best boat snorkel expeditions
- best units to ask for and why you would consider them the best
- are there bicycles provided? (my brochure says 'yes', but I've learned to take brochures with a grain of salt)
- can you rent mopeds and can you easily get gas for them?
- do you need reservations for the restaurants and how difficult is it to get them?
- any food shortages in the restaurants ? (have heard horror stories about some resorts in Cuba not having a lot of menu items in stock, slooooooow service etc.)
- how accessible (bicycle? walk?) are the 3 private coves I've heard about?
- I understand that credit cards drawn on American banks are not accepted in Cuba. What about Canadian subsidiaries of US banks such as Citibank Canada or MBNA? We will probably just bring cash for side excursions etc., but it would be nice to know, just in case of a major expense such as emergency medical care.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Soul@: Norton Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT 1-800-570-1233 norton 24*7
- 2 Restrictions on US Military travel to Cuba?
- 3 Affordable Honeymoon Help
- 4 Anguilla Trip Report & Photos 6/26-7/3 2016
- 5 Anguilla Hotel recommendations
- 6 Restaurant Recommendations
- 7 Antigua or St. John Honeymoon Dec.
- 8 Help, USVI in June, must book soon!
- 9 What is the food and water situation in Cuba?
- 10 Family vacation
- 11 Puerto Rico Christmas Week
- 12 Airfare Tips for Flying to Abaco Islands, Bahamas in December
- 13 PR or USVI
- 14 Havana Hotel
- 15 Best kids friendly Island to visit in August
- 16 The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Reall-Punta Cana DR
- 17 Back to the Exumas - Trip Report
- 18 Cayman Islands Currency
- 19 Virgin Gorda BVI
- 20 Martinique June 4th - 16th
- 21 Where to rent in St. John? and other questions
- 22 What foods can be taken to Providenciales
- 23 Havana
- 24 Using USA credit cards in Cuba
- 25 Scrub Island Resort