My husband and I are planning our winter vacation and have narrowed the choice to Tulum, Mexico or the Sol Melia Rio de Oro in Guardalavaca.
We have never done the BIG resort AI thing before but have read so many favourable posts on this resort that we are persuaded to give it a try.
Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated:
- best places to snorkel from shore in the area and how to get there (we want to see coral, not just sand and fish)
- best boat snorkel expeditions
- best units to ask for and why you would consider them the best
- are there bicycles provided? (my brochure says 'yes', but I've learned to take brochures with a grain of salt)
- can you rent mopeds and can you easily get gas for them?
- do you need reservations for the restaurants and how difficult is it to get them?
- any food shortages in the restaurants ? (have heard horror stories about some resorts in Cuba not having a lot of menu items in stock, slooooooow service etc.)
- how accessible (bicycle? walk?) are the 3 private coves I've heard about?
- I understand that credit cards drawn on American banks are not accepted in Cuba. What about Canadian subsidiaries of US banks such as Citibank Canada or MBNA? We will probably just bring cash for side excursions etc., but it would be nice to know, just in case of a major expense such as emergency medical care.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Questions - Sol Melia Rio de Oro
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Out islands, Bahamas referral
- 2 Guide to Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas
- 3 Snorkeling In Close Proximity to Hotel
- 4 Dinner or Cocktail Sailing Cruise in Bermuda?
- 5 Best places for Honeymoon!!
- 6 Tipping at AI
- 7 First time visit to Turks & Caicos -- would love advice on the island!!
- 8 Having trouble finding nonstop flights from Boston
- 9 Traveling Solo
- 10 What happened to the Maho Bay Campground property on St. John?
- 11 A Volcanic Paradise
- 12 Best Singles Vacation 35-50 in Caribbean
- 13 Turks & Caicos - no kids
- 14 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 15 Food at Cove Eleuthera
- 16 St. Kitts, the details
- 17 which Caribbean Islands don't have a big stray animal problem
- 18 Please help a beach vacation novice: Turks & Caicos vs. St. John vs. ...?
- 19 Vacation Review: Topic Follow-Up
- 20 Out islands of the Bahamas. Exumas? Abaco?
- 21 Scrub Island vs Turks and Caicos
- 22 St. Thomas trip with 7 year old
- 23 Help me pick an island for my first Caribbean trip
- 24 8 TUFF MILES
- 25 Puerto Rico Nightlife?