My husband and I are planning our winter vacation and have narrowed the choice to Tulum, Mexico or the Sol Melia Rio de Oro in Guardalavaca.
We have never done the BIG resort AI thing before but have read so many favourable posts on this resort that we are persuaded to give it a try.
Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated:
- best places to snorkel from shore in the area and how to get there (we want to see coral, not just sand and fish)
- best boat snorkel expeditions
- best units to ask for and why you would consider them the best
- are there bicycles provided? (my brochure says 'yes', but I've learned to take brochures with a grain of salt)
- can you rent mopeds and can you easily get gas for them?
- do you need reservations for the restaurants and how difficult is it to get them?
- any food shortages in the restaurants ? (have heard horror stories about some resorts in Cuba not having a lot of menu items in stock, slooooooow service etc.)
- how accessible (bicycle? walk?) are the 3 private coves I've heard about?
- I understand that credit cards drawn on American banks are not accepted in Cuba. What about Canadian subsidiaries of US banks such as Citibank Canada or MBNA? We will probably just bring cash for side excursions etc., but it would be nice to know, just in case of a major expense such as emergency medical care.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Nassau Bahamas
- 2 Turks and Caicos or St. Thomas in October?
- 3 St. Thomas or Turks and Caicos in October?
- 4 Biking in Caribbean
- 5 customs questions
- 6 Best Quiet Peacfull Island to Rent a Vacation Home?
- 7 Which Island for Travelling Without a Resort?
- 8 Two Highly Recommended Tour Companies for Travel to Cuba
- 9 Help with how long on each island.
- 10 Small Carribean Hotel
- 11 Travel from Culebra to St. John
- 12 Puerto Rico from Ponce to Arecibo
- 13 Average prices for taxis in Havana
- 14 Honeymoon All Inclusive
- 15 Christmas in the Caribbean
- 16 Where to go January beach bachelorette?
- 17 St. Lucia to Puerto Rico
- 18 Hiking in St. John
- 19 The Crane Resort - Stay Away!!!
- 20 Seeking a boutique/intimate Caribbean honeymoon in March 2018
- 21 celebrating husband's 50th birthday AI suggestions needed
- 22 Turks Caicos July 19 - Aug 2
- 23 Struggling with Decision for Honeymoon (St. Barts/St. Lucia)
- 24 Negril questions
- 25 Changes to travel US-Cuba