My husband and I are planning our winter vacation and have narrowed the choice to Tulum, Mexico or the Sol Melia Rio de Oro in Guardalavaca.
We have never done the BIG resort AI thing before but have read so many favourable posts on this resort that we are persuaded to give it a try.
Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated:
- best places to snorkel from shore in the area and how to get there (we want to see coral, not just sand and fish)
- best boat snorkel expeditions
- best units to ask for and why you would consider them the best
- are there bicycles provided? (my brochure says 'yes', but I've learned to take brochures with a grain of salt)
- can you rent mopeds and can you easily get gas for them?
- do you need reservations for the restaurants and how difficult is it to get them?
- any food shortages in the restaurants ? (have heard horror stories about some resorts in Cuba not having a lot of menu items in stock, slooooooow service etc.)
- how accessible (bicycle? walk?) are the 3 private coves I've heard about?
- I understand that credit cards drawn on American banks are not accepted in Cuba. What about Canadian subsidiaries of US banks such as Citibank Canada or MBNA? We will probably just bring cash for side excursions etc., but it would be nice to know, just in case of a major expense such as emergency medical care.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Help with Grace Bay Hotel
- 2 Cuba
- 3 How to get to Taylor Bay Beach?
- 4 Traveling with 15, 13, & 10 year old kids to Jamaica...need advice
- 5 Conference in Cuba in February
- 6 Santiago de Cuba suggestions
- 7 Planning a Spring Break Trip in the USVI
- 8 All-Inclusive, adult only resorts
- 9 Help me to pick an island
- 10 Small boat excursion
- 11 Fern Gully or nearby....walking in nature
- 12 Overwhelmed....
- 13 Can you tell me where?
- 14 bareboat sailing tips in bvi
- 15 DAY 14 - PRE LAST DOMINICANA DAY, STEAK HOUSE
- 16 3 weeks in Puerto Rico
- 17 Alta Vista or Mayan Sky - St. John
- 18 Where to spend a week at the beach(in april)
- 19 Marigot, Rodney, or Soufriere?
- 20 first Caribbean trip with kids
- 21 Haven't been to The Caymans in many years???
- 22 DAY 13 - PUNTA CANA BACHATA & MICHAEL JACKSON SHOW
- 23 Turks & Caicos Rental Car
- 24 Help picking an island!!!!
- 25 Relaxing on Trinidad's Beaches