I will be traveling to Tunisia for 7 days in May (most likely May 9-May 16) as a precursor to some time I will be spending in Italy immediately afterwards.
I was hoping I could get some opinions on the best ways to spend those 7 days. I am in general looking for interesting and beautiful things, not so much beaches or resort-oriented travel.
I will be flying into Tunis with one friend (both males in our mid 20's) and am definitely interested in spending a little time there to see the Bardo museum and wander the medina. I would also like to see Carthage and Sidi Bou Said while I'm there. How many days would you allot for all of that? Again, I don't have any desire to spend any extended time on a beach, but rather want to experience Tunisian culture and the more unique elements of the North African landscape.
From there, I'm open to any ideas. I would like to venture south somewhat, though I do need to be back in Tunis on the morning of the 16th to board an overnight ferry to Salerno.
So, if I spend say the first 2 days in Tunis (including seeing Carthage, SBS, etc.), what else could I do?
El Jem and Sousse sound like great places to see, but there's a certain allure to venturing further south to a place like Tozeur or Douz. And of course there are many other places of interest as well.
So, I am asking for your help! I am an experienced traveler in Europe and North America, but this will be my first time in North Africa. I have also spent some time in Nicaragua, and I'm comfortable traveling in places that are not overly touristy or developed.
Any thoughts on what to consider "can't-miss" that is feasible in my timeline would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 바둑이 바카라 ≫nnk688.com≪추천인 : 지퍼
- 2 A couple of quick questions about Israel
- 3 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 4 Proposed Itinerary Israel & Jordan
- 5 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 6 Buying merchandise
- 7 South Africa planning next Feb/March
- 8 Want to take your laptop on the plane?
- 9 Egypt January-February 2018
- 10 Kruger National Park with 5 year old
- 11 safari for the mobility impaired
- 12 Honeymoon - South Africa
- 13 Morocco first timer around 8 days
- 14 Morocco: Do it yourself, or get a tour company?
- 15 Private tour guide in Marrakech
- 16 Dubai shopping - any tips?
- 17 Need a Car in Nassau?
- 18 Dining in Cape Town
- 19 Change Tour Operators at Last Minute?
- 20 Dubai plan
- 21 Best Layover from NY to Cape Town
- 22 Israel with kids in August
- 23 Sterkfontein/ Cradle of Humankind
- 24 Iran in May
- 25 South Africa in June