I will be traveling to Tunisia for 7 days in May (most likely May 9-May 16) as a precursor to some time I will be spending in Italy immediately afterwards.
I was hoping I could get some opinions on the best ways to spend those 7 days. I am in general looking for interesting and beautiful things, not so much beaches or resort-oriented travel.
I will be flying into Tunis with one friend (both males in our mid 20's) and am definitely interested in spending a little time there to see the Bardo museum and wander the medina. I would also like to see Carthage and Sidi Bou Said while I'm there. How many days would you allot for all of that? Again, I don't have any desire to spend any extended time on a beach, but rather want to experience Tunisian culture and the more unique elements of the North African landscape.
From there, I'm open to any ideas. I would like to venture south somewhat, though I do need to be back in Tunis on the morning of the 16th to board an overnight ferry to Salerno.
So, if I spend say the first 2 days in Tunis (including seeing Carthage, SBS, etc.), what else could I do?
El Jem and Sousse sound like great places to see, but there's a certain allure to venturing further south to a place like Tozeur or Douz. And of course there are many other places of interest as well.
So, I am asking for your help! I am an experienced traveler in Europe and North America, but this will be my first time in North Africa. I have also spent some time in Nicaragua, and I'm comfortable traveling in places that are not overly touristy or developed.
Any thoughts on what to consider "can't-miss" that is feasible in my timeline would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Tipping...
- 2 Changing planes at Dubai
- 3 Morocco for 9 nights in February
- 4 upcoming Africa trip ... gift ideas needed?
- 5 Has Anyone Been to Sudan...?
- 6 Kenya Safari Tour Operator Recommendations
- 7 Morocco Trip Report
- 8 Where to go for lunch and dinner in Fes, Marrakech, and Essaouira
- 9 Free walking tours Medina Marrakech ???
- 10 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 11 Israel Transportation
- 12 Chaos in the old Medina-Marrakech
- 13 Glorious Return to South Africa--Two Weeks in October
- 14 North African Tips for a First Timer
- 15 Morocco help
- 16 First trip to Africa
- 17 Morocco 6 days Itinerary..Need Help
- 18 3 day desert tour: Marrakech to Merzouga
- 19 Driving Distance from Kalahari Tented Camp to Western Etosha NP
- 20 IRAN
- 21 Money in Uganda
- 22 Uganda Visa
- 23 accomodation near Mata Mata Border post
- 24 Egypt- Dec Itinerary-help needed
- 25 Private Guide for Cairo