I will be traveling to Tunisia for 7 days in May (most likely May 9-May 16) as a precursor to some time I will be spending in Italy immediately afterwards.
I was hoping I could get some opinions on the best ways to spend those 7 days. I am in general looking for interesting and beautiful things, not so much beaches or resort-oriented travel.
I will be flying into Tunis with one friend (both males in our mid 20's) and am definitely interested in spending a little time there to see the Bardo museum and wander the medina. I would also like to see Carthage and Sidi Bou Said while I'm there. How many days would you allot for all of that? Again, I don't have any desire to spend any extended time on a beach, but rather want to experience Tunisian culture and the more unique elements of the North African landscape.
From there, I'm open to any ideas. I would like to venture south somewhat, though I do need to be back in Tunis on the morning of the 16th to board an overnight ferry to Salerno.
So, if I spend say the first 2 days in Tunis (including seeing Carthage, SBS, etc.), what else could I do?
El Jem and Sousse sound like great places to see, but there's a certain allure to venturing further south to a place like Tozeur or Douz. And of course there are many other places of interest as well.
So, I am asking for your help! I am an experienced traveler in Europe and North America, but this will be my first time in North Africa. I have also spent some time in Nicaragua, and I'm comfortable traveling in places that are not overly touristy or developed.
Any thoughts on what to consider "can't-miss" that is feasible in my timeline would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 http://www.potentbodyformation.com/force-factor-volcano/
- 2 help with itinerary please
- 3 Thinking About Africa...Again!
- 4 Advice on Cape Town in July
- 5 Luggage restrictions
- 6 Kgalagadi Transfrontier NP
- 7 Seeking recommendation: Beach hotel in Netanya
- 8 Spain and Morocco over 90 Days
- 9 advise on joburg pls!
- 10 Where to holiday in late June/early July 2017?
- 11 3 weeks in Uganda - Our Experience
- 12 A weeks trip to Egypt.couple with a year old babys first birthday!!
- 13 Township Tour Guide
- 14 Draft itinerary for Morocco
- 15 Gorilla Trekking Rwanda 3 months Pregnant
- 16 ISRAEL TRIP
- 17 Transportation from Casablanca to Rabat
- 18 South Africa Honeymoon: Sabi Sands Reserve Lodge Recommendation
- 19 2 Expeditions To The The Danakil Depression - My Experiences
- 20 15 day tour in Morocco - itinerary advices
- 21 Cape Town + Eastern Cape
- 22 Help with safari itinerary with 9 year old
- 23 Tel Aviv Nightlife for 30+
- 24 Advice on East African trip
- 25 Help plan African Safari