I will be traveling to Tunisia for 7 days in May (most likely May 9-May 16) as a precursor to some time I will be spending in Italy immediately afterwards.
I was hoping I could get some opinions on the best ways to spend those 7 days. I am in general looking for interesting and beautiful things, not so much beaches or resort-oriented travel.
I will be flying into Tunis with one friend (both males in our mid 20's) and am definitely interested in spending a little time there to see the Bardo museum and wander the medina. I would also like to see Carthage and Sidi Bou Said while I'm there. How many days would you allot for all of that? Again, I don't have any desire to spend any extended time on a beach, but rather want to experience Tunisian culture and the more unique elements of the North African landscape.
From there, I'm open to any ideas. I would like to venture south somewhat, though I do need to be back in Tunis on the morning of the 16th to board an overnight ferry to Salerno.
So, if I spend say the first 2 days in Tunis (including seeing Carthage, SBS, etc.), what else could I do?
El Jem and Sousse sound like great places to see, but there's a certain allure to venturing further south to a place like Tozeur or Douz. And of course there are many other places of interest as well.
So, I am asking for your help! I am an experienced traveler in Europe and North America, but this will be my first time in North Africa. I have also spent some time in Nicaragua, and I'm comfortable traveling in places that are not overly touristy or developed.
Any thoughts on what to consider "can't-miss" that is feasible in my timeline would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 http://wellnessincredible.com/testo-pure-prime/
- 2 Son of Cecil shot by trophy hunter in Hwange
- 3 Once again last minute short trip to South Africa
- 4 African Safari/BeachTrip possible in 2 weeks?
- 5 recommendations for first Africa safari?
- 6 Lamu Island or Diani Beach
- 7 Zimbabwe - Game Viewing in Hwange and Mana Pools?
- 8 Skip Victoria Falls for more Cape Town?
- 9 first family kenyan safari trip report
- 10 Dubai for 3 Days (2 nights)
- 11 Naukluft Hiking Trail travel companions wanted
- 12 Passport pages stuck together
- 13 Self drive tour south africa
- 14 Packing for a month in Southern Africa
- 15 Tanzania-An organized trip or on our own?
- 16 Flight to italy then To Romani
- 17 Minor Children & Birth Certificates?
- 18 Duba activities - help deciding
- 19 Eilat
- 20 recommendations for AI islands
- 21 Trip Report: Tanzania Northern Circuit Safari with Earthlife Expeditions
- 22 Petra from Israel
- 23 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 24 What makes South Africa unique & different from other places in the world?
- 25 16hours transit at Doha