I will be traveling to Tunisia for 7 days in May (most likely May 9-May 16) as a precursor to some time I will be spending in Italy immediately afterwards.
I was hoping I could get some opinions on the best ways to spend those 7 days. I am in general looking for interesting and beautiful things, not so much beaches or resort-oriented travel.
I will be flying into Tunis with one friend (both males in our mid 20's) and am definitely interested in spending a little time there to see the Bardo museum and wander the medina. I would also like to see Carthage and Sidi Bou Said while I'm there. How many days would you allot for all of that? Again, I don't have any desire to spend any extended time on a beach, but rather want to experience Tunisian culture and the more unique elements of the North African landscape.
From there, I'm open to any ideas. I would like to venture south somewhat, though I do need to be back in Tunis on the morning of the 16th to board an overnight ferry to Salerno.
So, if I spend say the first 2 days in Tunis (including seeing Carthage, SBS, etc.), what else could I do?
El Jem and Sousse sound like great places to see, but there's a certain allure to venturing further south to a place like Tozeur or Douz. And of course there are many other places of interest as well.
So, I am asking for your help! I am an experienced traveler in Europe and North America, but this will be my first time in North Africa. I have also spent some time in Nicaragua, and I'm comfortable traveling in places that are not overly touristy or developed.
Any thoughts on what to consider "can't-miss" that is feasible in my timeline would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
7 Days in Tunisia - Ideas?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Just Back: Taming Kilimanjaro and northern Tanzania
- 2 Kruger
- 3 Americans in Iran - an amazing 1-month trip
- 4 Dennis's Trip Report: Caprivi Strip, Vic Falls and Hwange Park, Zimbabwe
- 5 Two Weeks in Capetown, want to add a safari
- 6 Best African safari destination – in addition to Masai Mara Conservancy?
- 7 Morocco Trip Report
- 8 FRS Ferry between Tarifa and Tangier
- 9 Seychelles, Mauritius and South Africa Trip Report
- 10 Five Thousand Years in 19 days - Pyramids, Tombs, Camels and a River
- 11 A month in Africa - how to spend the time
- 12 Migration into the Mara early this year
- 13 ISRAEL on SATURDAY - Transport
- 14 Namibia.It has suddenly dawned on me.
- 15 Well traveled...but not in Africa. Need help with itineraries!
- 16 Wild Dog Pups and Brown Hyenas: A Volunteer Adventure in South Africa
- 17 Wondering about airfare for 2016 Kenya safari
- 18 Nairobi airport - any updates?
- 19 Tanzania camping safari itinerary
- 20 Help needed getting from Tel Aviv Airport to Eilat
- 21 Car Rentals in Israel
- 22 PORT SAID/CAIRO - 1 DAY off cruise ship
- 23 Travelling with my elderly Mum to Jordan, Israel and PA
- 24 Hotel- 1 night in Doha
- 25 Johannesburg...?