I will be traveling to Tunisia for 7 days in May (most likely May 9-May 16) as a precursor to some time I will be spending in Italy immediately afterwards.
I was hoping I could get some opinions on the best ways to spend those 7 days. I am in general looking for interesting and beautiful things, not so much beaches or resort-oriented travel.
I will be flying into Tunis with one friend (both males in our mid 20's) and am definitely interested in spending a little time there to see the Bardo museum and wander the medina. I would also like to see Carthage and Sidi Bou Said while I'm there. How many days would you allot for all of that? Again, I don't have any desire to spend any extended time on a beach, but rather want to experience Tunisian culture and the more unique elements of the North African landscape.
From there, I'm open to any ideas. I would like to venture south somewhat, though I do need to be back in Tunis on the morning of the 16th to board an overnight ferry to Salerno.
So, if I spend say the first 2 days in Tunis (including seeing Carthage, SBS, etc.), what else could I do?
El Jem and Sousse sound like great places to see, but there's a certain allure to venturing further south to a place like Tozeur or Douz. And of course there are many other places of interest as well.
So, I am asking for your help! I am an experienced traveler in Europe and North America, but this will be my first time in North Africa. I have also spent some time in Nicaragua, and I'm comfortable traveling in places that are not overly touristy or developed.
Any thoughts on what to consider "can't-miss" that is feasible in my timeline would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 First time Safari - any comments on Wild Wings/Taga Safari companies?
- 2 March Trip to South Africa -- Need Quick Guidance Please!
- 3 Private tours in Morocco
- 4 Kings Pool vs. Duma Tau
- 5 Hotels for Victoria falls
- 6 First time to Africa-need help!
- 7 How do I know if a company is legit
- 8 Point and Shoot camera for a Kenyan Safari
- 9 Morocco Trip End of April - itinerary help please!
- 10 South Africa trip report
- 11 Question about Yellow Fever certificate
- 12 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains
- 13 Has anyone used this company in Uganda
- 14 Jewish tour Casablanca
- 15 Kenyan Safari Spending Money
- 16 Ethiopian security
- 17 Duffel Bag Suggestions?
- 18 Eyes on Africa Safari Recommendations???
- 19 morocco
- 20 Morocco 10 days - plz review
- 21 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 22 Is an Iranian visa a problem when entering Israel?
- 23 Casablanca or Rabat for two night stay
- 24 A very belated TR - South of Namibia with Kgalagadi
- 25 South Africa route options