I will be traveling to Tunisia for 7 days in May (most likely May 9-May 16) as a precursor to some time I will be spending in Italy immediately afterwards.
I was hoping I could get some opinions on the best ways to spend those 7 days. I am in general looking for interesting and beautiful things, not so much beaches or resort-oriented travel.
I will be flying into Tunis with one friend (both males in our mid 20's) and am definitely interested in spending a little time there to see the Bardo museum and wander the medina. I would also like to see Carthage and Sidi Bou Said while I'm there. How many days would you allot for all of that? Again, I don't have any desire to spend any extended time on a beach, but rather want to experience Tunisian culture and the more unique elements of the North African landscape.
From there, I'm open to any ideas. I would like to venture south somewhat, though I do need to be back in Tunis on the morning of the 16th to board an overnight ferry to Salerno.
So, if I spend say the first 2 days in Tunis (including seeing Carthage, SBS, etc.), what else could I do?
El Jem and Sousse sound like great places to see, but there's a certain allure to venturing further south to a place like Tozeur or Douz. And of course there are many other places of interest as well.
So, I am asking for your help! I am an experienced traveler in Europe and North America, but this will be my first time in North Africa. I have also spent some time in Nicaragua, and I'm comfortable traveling in places that are not overly touristy or developed.
Any thoughts on what to consider "can't-miss" that is feasible in my timeline would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
7 Days in Tunisia - Ideas?
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Trip Insurance - a must?
- 2 MOROCCO CAMEL TREKKING
- 3 Buy links
- 4 Info for those considering gorilla trekking in Rwanda
- 5 South Africa in February?
- 6 Car Rentals in Israel
- 7 Dubai for New Years Eve - Fireworks, Itinerary
- 8 KwaZulu Natal and Kruger - sort of a Trip Report
- 9 Who to Choose? Africa Serendipity, Rothschild Safari or ATR?
- 10 Morocco to portugal
- 11 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 12 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 13 Uganda or Rwanda 2015
- 14 Independence Day in Israel
- 15 Drinking on safari
- 16 Fodor's 100 Hotel Award Winners
- 17 Travelust
- 18 Okavango Delta - how to see it without breaking the bank?
- 19 Shots for Morocco
- 20 South Africa - travel from Bloemfontein via Karoo to Stellenbosch
- 21 South Africa - Cape wine lands - Suggestions organized wine tasting tour
- 22 Southern Africa trip - 5 weeks April / May 2015 starting in KZN
- 23 SOUTH AFRICA WESTERN CAPE TRIP REPORT: SEPT/OCT 2013
- 24 To Egypt in February - Need some advice
- 25 Thinking about The Gambia