Search

Tunisia -Big Favor

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tunisia -Big Favor

I have a major request for those of you that have visited Tunisia, especially thit cho. We are considering Overseas Adventure Tours to Tunisia this coming December. Would you please go to their website and look at the 15 day tour and tell me what your opinion is of the itinary? I don't know the towns, etc. and would greatly value your opinions. I know, it's a big favor, but it would be a great help in making our decision. THANK YOU!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Happy to do so. I visited Tunisia in December 2005, and I had time limitations, so I restricted my visit to the upper portion of Tunisia, and I (regrettably) did not make it into the desert, which is supposed to beautiful.

These are my comments on the locations on the OAT tour:

Day 3 City tour and Bardo Museum/Visit Sidi Bou Said/Explore ancient Carthage/Visit North Africa American Cemetery: <u>I visited all of these places except the cemetary, and all are highlights. The Bardo Museum is perhaps the world's best museum of Roman mosaics, and its a nice introduction to the ruins you'll see later in your trip. Sidi Bou Said is a charming small enclave, now artists' colony, on the coast, but it can bet a bit crowded -- its very popular with narrow streets. Carthage -- its more interesting to recall what was there than to see what is there, but an amazing site on the sea. </u>

Day 4 Optional tour of ancient Roman Dougga/Free time in Tunis: <u>Dougga is one of the best ruinscapes I have visited, and is an excellent day trip. I visited by public transport, which was a bit tricky, so it will be nice to have transport arranged. I wouldn't skip this day trip. </u>

Day 5 Explore Cap Bon and Hammamet/Travel to Sousse: <u> I did not explore Hammamet, but did spend time in Sousse, mostly in its medina, which like the medina in Tunis, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Sousse is another highlight. </u>

Day 6 Free morning in Sousse/Optional tour to El Djem/Free afternoon in Sousse: <u> Do NOT skip El Djem, the world's third largest Roman coliseum. </u>

This is where my trip stopped, but the OAT trip continues, and visits the part of the country that I hope to visit on my return to Tunisia, including the lizard train, Djerba and the sand dunes.

These are the photos from my trip (the second half are from Italy, where I stopped after Tunisia)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...qla3y&amp;Ux=0

The OAT trip looks like a great trip, with a very comprehensive itinerary. Tunisia is a very interesting destination, and there seem to have been a few more posts about it recently -- maybe its becoming more popular.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Michael

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your assistance! A couple of more questions if you don't mind. I read on trip advisor that people were hassled in the medina(especially Sousse) and that even the hotel help bothered them to go to &quot;family&quot; stores. They said they were cursed at, yelled at, etc. Did you have such experiences in the medina? We have been to China where they follow you down the street, Egypt where they come up and talk to you but nothing like what I read. They also said Sousse was nasty, dirty and etc. Would love hear Michael's take on it, as you appear to be an easy going, positive person. What about the food and prices? I also read where people got fleas??? Was ready to book our trip and the trip advisor site has spooked me a bit. Did these people just get an unusual bad experience? Enjoyed Michael's pictures and excellent help. THANK YOU!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM

I have also been to China and Egypt, both more than once, and I haven't been hassled in either country. The only countries where I have been continually pestered are Morocco and India.

I found Tunisia to be extremely warm and welcoming, and I was not bothered in either medina (Tunis or Sousse). While wandering, I would occasionally be politely beckoned to enter some stores, but sometimes I would decline and was not bothered again.

I have been to more than 100 countries, and I would rank Tunisia among the friendliest with the least hassle. But, it only takes one or two overly aggressive touts to ruin any trip, and the posters on tripadvisor may have encountered an aggressive shopkeeper.

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM

I wandered around the Tunisia and Sousse souks by myself (middle aged woman)and had absolutely no problems.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:48 PM

thit_cho --- can you please help? Your advice is incredibly amazing and the photos were so helpful in getting excited about the trip.

Greetings.

I am trying to plan a trip to Tunisia with 2 major questions:

(1) how to get there
(2) how to get around the country

(1) How to Get there.

I am traveling with 1 other person in the last 2 weeks of August. We are trying to get to Tunis -- but want to know the least expensive way to get there.

Flights from the US are at best $1,600 and even taking the boat (SCNM) from Marselle is $700pp --- in addition to a trip to/through France.

Any ideas for how to travel from the East Coast (LGA or BOS) creatively?

(2) How to get around Tunisia.

Should we plan to hire a car and driver? Is a rental car a safe option?

Should we arrange for UNESCO site guides beforehand or once in country?

Also, what is the best way to travel from Tunis to Djerba?

My apologies for so many questions -- I am grateful for any help!! THANK YOU!