Bucharest - how many days?

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucharest - how many days?

Hello my friends, I've booked a flight from Los Angeles to Bucharest, Romania. I will fly from Bucharest to London. From London I will fly back to Los Angeles. My trip is planned for October 2017 - the total fare: $682. What an incredible bargain and on Air France and Virgin Atlantic. I haven't purchased my flight from Bucharest to London as I'm not sure how many days I should spend in Bucharest. I was thinking 4 days in Bucharest -- 2 actual full days in Bucharest, and then 2 separate day trips from Bucharest by train. I am travelling alone and don't want to drive a car alone. That would leave me with 3 1/2 days in London. I've been to London before and definitely will plan on going back again and again. However, I could do 4 days in London as opposed to Bucharest. Some blogs I've read recommend only 2 or 3 days in Bucharest. I will add that I love walking, taking leisurely days, stopping for a bite and a glass of wine, and visiting museums. I'm not that "rush" person that has an itinerary and must see everything on the list.

Any thoughts as to my plan of 4 days in Bucharest and the 2 separate day trips?

Also, any suggestion for 2 separate day trips from Bucharest?

Thank you and kindest regards,

Richard ~
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 10:30 AM

Was there many years ago and must say it didn't impress us. Much preferred Sofia. So, I would recommend the shorter time there.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 10:35 AM

0 day as far as I am concerned.

I came earlier once to visit it (been there numerous times but mostly just sleeping) and aborted the visit, went back to airport where I worked waiting for my boss coming later.

However here a trip report from someone who liked it.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-december.cfm
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 02:03 PM

Bucharest is worth 4 days. Get a guide book. I do not know if Fodor's has one, but we used Lonely Planet. You might want to take a look at my last summer's trip report which starts in Bulgaria' click on my name to fin it.

to whet your appetite:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...497987116/show
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 07:59 PM

Hello,

To have a quiet and relax citybreak in Bucharest for 4 days, I think you should have to visit :

Palace of Parliament
Village Museum
Old center of Bucarest
Peasant Museum
Sutu Palace
Museum of History
Memorial of George Enescu
Casa Aman
National Art Museum

About two days outside Bucharest, it is a little bit more complicated and I should recommend you to spend to days linked outside from Bucharest. Both at SINAIA and BRASOV.

If not, I absolutely recommend you SINAIA, for its Peles Castle, Georges Enescu HOUSE and beautiful streets.

Brasov is good to see also.

The fact is that to reach Sinaia, you spend 2.30 hours minimum by train and 3 hours minimum for Brasov.

Do not hesitate to ask me more questions

BYE

Loris LEJEAN
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 12:28 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
WoinParis linked to my recent trip report (thank you!)

I spent almost two full days in Bucharest this past December, and felt that I could have used one more day for a more comprehensive city break. Like you, I prefer a less structured approach to sightseeing, and tend to view my visits to former EasternBloc capitals with a, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" approach. I, too, like to wander with my camera, stopping at whim for a coffee or wine and people watching, and found all of that in Bucharest. I was fortunate to have blue skies and sunshine for my visit, setting a perfect backdrop for many photos.

As for, "How many days in Bucharest?" I can not say. With all of my travels, I research considerably beforehand on topics of interest to me and arrange my time accordingly. On this trip I wished I had had time for the Village Museum; was thrilled to catch the old caravanserai in the late afternoon light, and was quite fine not fitting the Art Museum into my itinerary. Your travel goals may be different.
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to you who responded. Each was very helpful. Special thank you to Lajean and fourfortravel. Let us not forget why this forum exists -- it is kind people being kinder -- assisting with knowledge. Peace and everything good to you ~