Search

President's Library

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:15 AM
TKT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
President's Library

Anyone have good or bad experiences visitng any presidential libraries? I have been to JFK, LBJ and Carter. I have enjoyed them all, JFK is great because of the view and the films. The Carter presented an excellent view of the politics of his time.
LBJ was good but not exceptional.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:39 AM

My experience with presidential libraries has been very positive. I've only been to three, Reagan, Eisenhower and Nixon and have found them each to be very interesting in their own way.

I thought, before visiting that the museum would be mainly about the person, but they do a wonderful job of making it about the history of the time,about the office and not only about the person.

Of the three libraries I've been to, the Reagan is the most impressive. I was there on a rainly day with my infant son and we had the place almost to ourselves! The docents were extremely helpful and kind and I spent almost two hours just taking it all in.

I know there have been threads on this in the past, so if you haven't yet, do a search on presedential libraries and read the responses.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:57 AM
JJ5

The new Abraham Lincoln in Springfield IL is amazing, state-of-the art and also a Museum. Well, well worth a visit. It has lots of interaction, holograms etc.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:00 AM

JJ5, I saw a news report about the Lincoln museum. Looks like it might be the best of them all.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Politics aside, I have enjoyed each of the three presidential libraries I have visited: Carter, Kennedy and Nixon. By all measures, the Nixon library is the one that intrigued me most. Being a 'child of the 60's', I was captivated by Kennedy Library as so many of the artifacts representing the times were things that I actually OWNED at one time...check out the 'record player.' Now, who in this generation knows what that is! Being a Georgian by birth (and always by heart, though I now live in another part of the country) I enjoyed the Carter Library. But I have no need to return to these two. However, I would go back to Nixon Library in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I enjoy visiting the Presidential Libraries, and would like to see all of them eventually. (Though I doubt I would make a special trip, say to Iowa or Kansas, to do complete this quest.) The three that I've visited so far have been Reagan, Nixon, and JFK. The most interesting one for me has been Nixon's - lots of history there. I found Reagan's to be the least impressive. Air Force is very nice, but there is not a lot of information about who Reagan was or how he impacted the state of California or the US, IMO. The most surprising of the three was JFK's. I really didn't expect to find as much history and information as I did. And the views from the building are truly magnificent.

I think the libraries are definitely worthy of a visit if one happens to be in the area. Regardless of one's political affiliations (or in spite of them??), it gives an opportunity to learn about the person and the times in which he served his country.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:11 AM

I've been to George H.W. Bush's library in College Station, TX and it was very neat. I especially adored the equestrian sculpture outside the building! My husband and I have been discussing making a trip to SoCal to see the Reagan Library...
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Political affiliaton should have NOTHING to do with a choice of library to visit. This is history and education. I feel sorry for those who would be so dogmatic to only visit a Presidential library that supports ones political viewpoint.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:51 AM

The Clinton Library in Little Rock is outstanding. Even my ultra-conservative neighbor was impressed--and she's a real Clinton-hater. It has a tremendous amount of information displayed in a way tht makes it easy to understand and follow.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:49 PM

I just went to the JFK library. I was 3 1/2 when he was shot and it is one of my earliest memories. I was watching tv when they broke in and I think because my Mom was so upset it left a lasting impression on me. The library felt like a time capsule of my youth. I found it to be very moving and inspiring. I was also struck by what a force Robert Kennedy was; they have his Attorney General's office and he was so involved in the Civil Rights movement. I can't think of many better ways to relive history than a Presidential Library. They are national treasures.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Don't get your shorts in a wad ahhnold...read the posts...each of us who mentioned political affiliation agreed with you, that it should not be a factor. What more do you want?