Search

Bookmarking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bookmarking

I am seeing some bookmarks or ttt (or t in Ira's case). Is the search option working now for the rest of you? That is, the search on your user name. It doesn't seem to be working for me. (Or maybe I've made fewer posts than I remember.)
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:24 AM

Just click on your name, it should show you all of your posts. Mine seems to be working.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM

There's no point to searching on your user name, and never was. Just click on your own name, either within a post or at the top of your page. The only reason to search on a name (I assume you mean by typing text in a box) is if it's someone else and you can't find a recent post of theirs or something. It is still always better to click on a name.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
ira

Hi M,

>I am seeing some bookmarks or ttt (or t in Ira's case). <

Whenever someone posts anything to a thread, it goes to the top of the list. Thus: ttt for "to the top", or just t for "topping".

Some people post "bookmark" to a thread because they can then get all of the threads to which they have posted.

The problem with doing this is that the threads will be in chronological order, not grouped by topic.

It is much better to Right Click on the header and then copy and paste the link into a Word document.

That way you have the threads by topic, title and time.

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM

<<< It is much better to Right Click on the header and then copy and paste the link into a Word document. >>>

Or just save it as a bookmark / favorite depending on which browser you are using
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ttt is most often used to either bring a thread back up to get more response, or sometimes to help someone who can't find a thread.

Searching by name is totally unproductive - as the others say, click on your name.

The bookmarking thing doesn't bother me too much - but sometimes we get one who just "bookmarks" every thread s/he is interested in... That is a huge pain because each of those threads shoves others farther down the list.

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Jed

If you want to help someone find a thread, it may be better to post the URL of the thread, such as: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35055288, than to bring it up, as it will soon sink.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Jed: I agree. But as many times as we explain how to get a thread's url in order to post a link, some still have a hard time figuring it out.

In that case ttt is better than nothing.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Well, my technique was wrong. But it worked before....
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Jed wrote: "If you want to help someone find a thread, it may be better to post the URL of the thread ... than to bring it up, as it will soon sink."

And one of the reasons why it will sink is the number of people who bump things above it by bookmarking or topping older threads!

That's why I wish people would limit their use of such methods.