Best Amsterdam Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Amsterdam for 7 nights and have narrowed my dinner restaurant choices to the following. Any positives or negatives would be appreciated. Criteria is real good food and unique atmoshphere. Loved the uniqueness of the supper club last year and hoping to duplicate that great experience. Any comments?

DINNER
1) Inez IPSC
2) d'Vijff Vlieghen
3) Le Garage
4) Zomers
5) 18twintig
6) Nomads

LUNCH
1) cafe morlang
2) Tempo Doeloe
3) Moko
4) De kas
5) Kung Fu
6) Chocolate Bar

Any other unique places is always appreciated
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Hi dougieo,
On your list, I've only dined at the Five Flies. I had my last-night dinner there on my most recent trip to Amsterdam. They have some wonderful 3, 4 and 5 course meal options. I splurged and had the 5-course vegetarian dinner. It was lovely, featuring choice local produce and artisan-produced cheeses. The atmosphere is all low lighting, heavy dark furniture, very intimate and "Old Dutch"

On the Leliegracht, check out De Luwte. The location can't be beat, on a pretty canal on the edge of the Jordaan. The food is eclectic, tilting towards the Mediterranean. I had an appetizer at De Luwte which makes people drool when I describe it...a spongy buckwheat pancake like a crumpet, drizzled with melted butter, spread with a layer of creme fraiche and then a layer of salmon caviar. A little cap of creme fraiche on top with a cockade of dill - I could have eaten ten of those!

On the Singel, there is a Belgian restaurant called Lieve which I liked very much.

Anyway, indulge yourself - Amsterdam is a terrific town for indulgences of all sorts!
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

no scoop on these restaurants? whats the deal?
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:12 PM
yk

I believe Inez IPSC is temporarily closed (for financial reasons?). I tried calling a few weeks ago and it kept ringing and ringing...

I'll be in Amsterdam next week, but won't be dining at any of your restaurants. I have made reservations at Bordewijk (good review on NYT), and at Balthazar's Keuken (http://www.balthazarskeuken.nl/). I'll post a report on them when I come back, in case you're interested.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:34 PM

MAPPA on Nes.....just off Dam Square, near the Krasnapolski Hotel....
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:06 PM

I would also recommend the restaurant in the Dylan hotel - also called the Dylan I believe. Had dinner there last week and it was great.
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Why not try the Hotel Okura, two of whose restaurants each with a Michelin star: Ciel Bleu, French cuisine at the top of its 20-odd storey tower, or Yamazato for traditional Japanese cuisine. I've eaten there and it's excellent.
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Why not try the Hotel Okura, two of whose restaurants have a Michelin star: Ciel Bleu, French cuisine at the top of its 20-odd storey tower, or Yamazato for traditional Japanese cuisine. I've eaten there and it's excellent.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:46 AM
rex

topping... maybe for suec1?
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:21 AM

nice try Rex but I'm afraid no cigar! I appreciate your help but this is not the post I've been looking for - these sound a bit too hip and fancy for me.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:48 AM
MaureenB

The original poster may have already traveled to Amsterdam, but if you click on my name above and pull up my London-Paris-Amsterdam trip report, you will find at least two very special and reasonably priced restaurants in Amsterdam, plus a couple of cafes there.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:46 PM

I'm always amazed at the number of people who want to find good restaurants to eat in when they travel. In all the years that I have been traveling, I've had only 5 bad meals and I remember them but I've had countless good ones, mostly by checking out where the locals eat and exploring and I remember them as well. Guess we americans really want good food or is it we really want "safe" food. I don't know.....Isn't part of the adventure of traveling finding restaurants by accident..
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:11 AM

De Vijf Vlieghen is a pretty good bet, albeit at a price; so is de Silveren Spiegel,(Kattengat 4)- a bit more cosy, using only traditional Dutch ingredients. One point to note, during the war, whilse German officers were eating downstairs, there were a dozen or so Jews hiding uipstairs - there is (or used to be) a small museum there you can visit.
De Silveren Spiegel is somewhere for a special dinner - visit http://www.desilverenspiegel.com for a taste of what to expect