Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need something Amazing in Amsterdam for b-day surprise

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its my husband's birthday when we are in amsterdam. Can anyone think of something amazing that I could surprise him with? It would be a Sunday night in January.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:56 AM

A couple grams of double bubble gum from Grey Area coffeeshop.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Doc, what is it exactly that you have in mind? Is it a fantastic hotel, a special restaurant, or a "couple grams of double bubble gum from Grey Area coffeeshop"?

Please be specific.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Maybe a great restaurant or some type of amazing experience. My hubby will definitely smoke some pot....so it won't be a surprise if I get it for him.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:27 PM
yk

I haven't been, but heard/read lots of great things about restaurant De Kas. It's located just outside of Amsterdam, and the restaurant is sort of a green house and quite beautiful.
http://www.restaurantdekas.nl/
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:28 PM
yk

Nevermind. De Kas is closed on Sundays.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Sorry, I just can't resist. Love the way smoking pot is the thing to do but heaven help the person that smokes a cigarette!!! Personally I just don't get it.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:54 PM

I'd go to one of the Indonesian restaurants and get a Rice Table (Sorry, can't spell the Dutch word for it, but someone here will). I went to Sarang Mas, on Damrack. It was an adventure. Also, how about a nightime canal boat ride? They have a wine and cheese ride.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 03:09 PM

By far the most unique place we've found is the Supperclub:

http://www.supperclub.nl/open/eng_index.html

It is very different, to say the least.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM

I've always wanted to try this:

http://www.boomchicago.nl/
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Not sure I can help with anything that will be amazing but I'll make suggestions that could make for a memorable birthday.

For dinner you might go to In de Waag in the Nieumarkt. You must go after dark (not a problem with January's short days) as it is lit only by hundreds of candles. Romantic with bags of history + atmosphere.

http://www.indewaag.nl/en/index.htm

If you enjoy any form of jazz, head over to The Bimhuis, now housed in a fantastic new building overlooking the IJ.

http://www.bimhuis.nl/new_bim.php?lang=en

For local, or maybe bigger name, rock/modern music there is always something at the Melkweg (Milky Way). It's a big multimedia venue housed in an old dairy (hence the name).

http://www.melkweg.nl/home.htm

Have you already booked a room? If you're looking for a cozy, romantic room I can suggest one.

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!! I don't think I have hit on the perfect idea yet! Please keep the ideas coming! We already booked a hotel so we are already set with that. We will actually only be in Amsterdam for two days because we are heading for a safari in South Africa.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM

Perhaps the Supperclub Cruise? www.suppercruise.nl
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:10 PM
DAX

Amsterdam in January is somewhat dead, so it's hard to find something exciting in the cold winter night assuming you're looking for more than just a nice restaurant.

One unique thing to do in Amsterdam is SPEED/ICE SKATING ON THE FROZEN AMSTERDAM CANALS. Maybe you can start the surprise in the afternoon by skating the canal to get to a brown cafe of your choice. I've never been to Amsterdam in the dead winter, but I imagine it should be quite popular among the locals considering skating is their national sport.

Ask your hotel where you can rent skates(hard to find since most Dutch own their own skates). Supposedly there is one skating rink that lets you rent & take the skates out of the rink on Radioweg 64, Amsterdam. Good luck with your plan and I hope you post after your trip.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:53 AM

And if the canals aren't frozen?????
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:01 AM

Usually the canals do not freeze enough to allow skating.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:59 AM

I can think of all sorts of "amazing" things you could show your husband in Amsterdam, particularly after he got wasted, but since this is supposedly a G-rated board I'll dispense with that....rent the skates and PRETEND the canals are frozen??????
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:11 AM
DAX

Ok let's dump the speed skating idea and find out what Voyager has in mind besides a donkey show.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 02:01 AM

LOL, DAX...not so much what I "have in mind" but rather what I've already seen and experienced first-hand..and believe me, "donkey shows" are soooooo ten minutes ago. I'm thinking more about what some human beings do in that city with absolutely no need for animals of the four-legged variety.

Perhaps a really AMAZING thing would be (thinking particularly of some of the posters here) to eat at MacDonalds and actually come back and TELL people you did it without any regrets whatsoever!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:56 PM
DAX

Sorry we have to drop the four legged animal show also, even though it's in theme with their african safari trip plus .... she's a doctor.

As bad as it is, speedskating on a semifrozen canal is way more amazing than eating in Mcdonald anywhere in the world especially if you have to TELL someone. Don't you think?

OK, I'm just topping. Someone is bound to have a really Amazing idea for our Fodorite doctor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information