What area of Paris to stay in - August honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'll be honeymooning in August, a week in London (all set) then a week in Paris (not set yet). I have never been there, and have no idea what areas/neighborhoods are 1)nice enough to want to stay in, and 2)good for touring. I am quite intrigued by the websites that show apartments for rent, I think that would be very fun. What advice can you give this newbie on what part of Paris to stay in? Thank you all! I appreciate all your help....Peter
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:08 AM

hello, Peter. I will give you my advice, although you may not like it. It's not really advice so much as what I would do in your situation, and why. I'll leave others to the London advice, as I know Paris better.

First, for a first-timer, it is best to stay in a central area, that's the most important thing. The central arrondisements of Paris are all quite nice and will be convenient for visiting. Generally, that would be areas 1 and 4-7.

As for the apt., I would not do that myself in your situation. First, you are only going to be in Paris a week. Apts. involve advance planning and deposits/insurance so are a lot more commitment and financial risk than hotels. Second, you haven't been there before -- in an apt., you won't have anyone like a concierge/front desk staff to answer questions or things like that. Third, it is August, and for a honeymoon you probably want something nice -- very few apts. in Paris have AC, but it is easy to get a hotel with AC at a reasonable cost (espec. August when many hotels have discounts). The weather could be moderate in August, you never know, but I wouldn't risk it.

Of course, you didn't state your budget which can make a big difference. There are some apts. in Paris (very few) with AC for S/T rental, but they will be expensive.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:26 AM
ira

Hi Peter,

>I am quite intrigued by the websites that show apartments for rent, I think that would be very fun. <

This is NOT a good way to start a marriage. Have you asked your fiancee whether she wants to do the shopping, cooking and dishwashing on her honeymoon?

How much are you planning on spending?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:34 AM
JonJon

I think Christina has offered excellent advice. Some people stay in apartments when they travel for any number of reasons, some of which may be realistic and some perhaps not so much so, such as that old one about "feeling like a local."
Beilieve me you can feel as much like a local if you stay in a hotel where you do not have to do any housekeeping, etc. Hopefully, you'll have ONE honeymoon in your entire life and whereas the money you spend on it may seem enormous now, in a couple of years it will seem amazingly cheap. I would SPLURGE as much as possible and let others do the daily chores..you'll have plenty of opportunities later to do those when you are at home and feeling like a local there.
Also remember that almost regardless of where you stay you'll be within easy walking distance of a Metro stop and I strongly advise you to consider using it to get around...yeah, just like a lot of the "locals" do!

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:39 AM

If you are really thinking of renting an apartment for the week, look no further than www.chezmichelaparis.com. (You can also find it on the vrbo site.) We rented this fabulous flat in May '03. It is deluxe in every way (except A/C)and perfectly located in the 7th (bordering the 6th). The American owner could not have been easier to deal with, so you shouldn't have any concerns there. Bon voyage!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Whatever youdecide, make sure it has air conditioning. Remember last August. And if it were my honeymoon, I would really want to stay in a hotel in the 6th Arr. Save the apartment for your later trips.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far. We thought an apt would be fun for the week to 1) cook for ourselves and 2) experience life more like a local. I didnt think about A/C, and remember the heat wave of last summer, eeek! Back to my main question: what part of town to stay in? We are on a moderate budget....not hostels, not 5-star hotels...thanks again, Peter
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Have a look at the Hôtel Nôtre-Dame, in the 5th. Some rooms have a view across the Seine to Nôtre-Dame cathedral. The fifth arrondissement is quite centrally located for sightseeing.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:34 AM

We stayed at Hotel DE Notre Dame (which I believe is different than Underhill's suggestion.) This is the one on Rue Maitre Albert, 5th bordering on 6th. Hotel De ND is only yards from the Seine and the literal center of Paris, Notre Dame. Rooms were small, but clean and well-appointed. Bath was large and modern. About 160 euros for a double on the river side.

Karen Brown gave it a great review, although I can't understand why she says it's "a few blocks from the Seine". In reality, it's no more than 50 yards. We absolutely LOVED the location.

http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/

http://karenbrownusa.com/franceinns/...so?RecID=9816#
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:07 AM

One more note about Hotel de Notre Dame. I just found that Guy Savoy has opened his new restaurant right up the street.

Go to
http://wfd.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi
and enter the address "1 RUE MAITRE ALBERT". Bring up the PHOTO of the street. Click the down arrow to back up a little and you'll be looking at the entrance to the street from the river...toward the hotel which sits in the bend at what looks like the end of the street. The restaurant sounds fabulous...according to Patricia Wells.
http://www.patriciawells.com/reviews/iht/2003/12-19.htm

Has anyone eaten there? It only opened in Nov or Dec. I couldn't get the restaurant website to open.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM
dcespedes

I would follow Christina's excellent advice. We were in Paris for the first time last year and were overwhelmed by the size of the city--stay central, close to the major attractions and you will do yourself a huge favor. Also, you can eat well inexpensively in Paris. By staying in an apartment you potentially cut yourself off from hotel staff and other travelers who may have good information to share with you while you're there. Save the apartment for an anniversary trip! Hope you enjoy an amazing time! AMC

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:44 AM
ira

Hi Peter,

>what part of town to stay in? We are on a moderate budget....not hostels, not 5-star hotels..<

What is your budget? 150-200E?

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:44 AM
jenifer

ira's question is still a good one. For me, moderate is around 100E per night, but for others 150-200 is "moderate", and others may consider more than that "moderate". And that makes a big difference in hotel choices!

Also, have you done any reading on Paris? There are many wonderful places to stay in Paris. Get a guidebook from the library or bookstore, and really familiarize yourself with what Paris has to offer, and what the different neighborhoods are like. Once you know what you are looking for, you could come back and post more specific questions for more help.

Finally - even before you post more specific questions, try searching here. If you just put "paris hotel" in the box above, you can find many good threads with lots of info to help you out. Or, search "paris apartment" if you are set on going that route. Many wonderful threads on that topic already as well.

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, just reserved a room at the Hotel Muguet in the 7th arr.

Thanks for all your help. Especially in thinking about A/C. Hotel Muguet seems to have a very good reputation online, and in the Rick Steve's world (I am in Seattle and went to his shop/resource center this week).

I'll post a report when we get back (in August). Happy travels!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Try www.paristays.com -- a great new webiste run by the English speaking former manager of Residence des Arts & Villa d'Estree, Pascal Schubert. During several prior stays at Residence des Arts, we called on him to make and change reservations, make restaurant bookings, arrange for airport transfers, give advice on day trips, sights, etc., and always found him to be helpful, cheerful and responsive. His company can recommend and book accomodations at various charming hotels in good locations and also has a few lovely upscale Latin Quarter apartments. The website has pictures and price ranges. They also offer concierge services for things like airport transfers, restaurant reservations, etc. which really takes the hassle out of trip planning. I am using them via e-mail to make the arrangements for an upcoming family trip and Mr. Schubert has been efficient and helpful as always.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Message: The Hotel des Saintes-Peres on the Rue des Saintes-Peres in the 6th is a lovely, quiet hotel where we went on the recommendation of people who go there often. We stayed there in 1998 in a double room that had an enormous bed and with a bathroom was among the most luxurious I have ever seen--enormous and beautiful!! To top off the experience, it was so quiet that we never heard a sound of any other guests, even though the hotel was booked. I wish I had kept the room number b/c I would request the same room again, if I could. I did notice that the prices have gone up considerably since the franc was changed to euros. You *must* have a/c in Paris in summer. I often think that the only place that rivals the summer heat of Florida is Paris!!

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:54 AM

August is the month that Parisians & French in general go on holiday so you may find somethings closed eg some restaurants. It is hot in Paris in August.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:32 AM
adoptionisfab

Any other suggestions?