Paris Honeymoon. Questions Galore.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Paris for our honeymoon from Sept 26 - Oct 6, 2007. We have a ton of random questions that I hope the Fodorite community can help us with.

We're an adventurous couple, and we don't require the most luxurious accommodations. We like to abandon the beaten path and enjoy having unique experiences. We're trying to be thrifty on this trip, although we do want to spoil ourselves a bit. It is our honeymoon after all.

Our initial plan is to book an apartment for a week in Paris and then spend 2-3 nights in the Burgundy Region. Then we will drive back to Paris, spend a night at the Marriott near the airport, and fly out at 11am the last night.

1. The apartment we're looking at is

http://www.parisbestlodge.com/rivoli.html

Does anyone know if this is a good location/price/idea? The problem is that the apartment is not available until the day after we get there. So we'd either have to a.) find a hotel for one night, and then move to the apartment on the 2nd day (shortening our time in Burgundy as well), b.)go to Burgundy first and then to the Paris apartment, or c.) find a similar apartment that fits our timeline.

2. We thought that doing Paris before Burgundy would be a good idea. We expect Paris to be fun and draining, while Burgundy would be a nice, relaxed ending to our trip. Would you agree with this? Or should we do the opposite and use the countryside to unwind after our wedding before moving on to the excitement of Paris?

3. Is Burgundy even the right place to go? We're looking for romantic, relaxed, French countrysides with wine and chateaux and all that good stuff. Does anyone have a better recommendation?

4. I have about 200 Euros worth of Marriott dollars. We thought it would be good to stay close to the airport our last night. But, I also think it could be a waste of one last night in Paris. If our flight is at 11am, would we be okay getting there in time from central Paris?

We have many more questions, but I’ll just keep it at those 4 to start with. Basically, if you have any tips or recommendations for us, we would be very grateful to hear them.

Thanks!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:05 AM

First, congratulations!

Here's a lodging alternative, less expensive by 300 euros and elegant enough for a honeymoon spot. We stayed in this apartment for eight days late last year and loved it. It's near Place de La Bastille, a happening place, and the 11th arrondissement is particularly good if you happen to be young.

http://www.slowtrav.com/cl/detail.asp?l=2636

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:14 AM

http://hotelmanasses.ifrance.com/page11.html

We stayed in this wonderful B and B several years ago. The photos do not do it justice, it is comfortable and lovely and sits within its own vineyard. The breakfast was
delicious, and the owner is very friendly and speaks English. You can sample his wines also. It was the first night we spent in Burgundy, and by far our most favorite place to stay. I believe it is a good spot for a honeymoon. Just watching the sun go down over that little valley is something I will never forget - like something out of an illuminated manuscript.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Here are my thoughts:

1. Have you visited Paris before? Do you specifically want to stay at an apartment, as opposed to a hotel? Do you intend to eat breakfasts in? If you're staying in Paris for a week, an apartment is generally the best way to go, expense-wise, but on the other hand, hotels offer amenities that apartments don't. While we don't use hotel front desk staff very much, we do use them to confirm dinner reservations and for advice about taxis and the like. If you don't need that kind of assistance, then an apartment may be preferable. I've been in the Place de Vosges neighborhood, and it was nice to stroll around, but I'm sure others can give better advice on the neighborhood as a home base. (We like the 6th, which some people feel is too touristy, but I like its proximity to the Seine and Notre Dame.)

Finding a different place to stay for the first night, IMO, would be enough of a hassle to not want to use this apartment - though it looks very cute!

2. I can never decide on whether country or city first is best, and have done it both ways, and enjoyed it both ways!

3. We visited Burgundy once; DH is big into wine, and I'm not. For chateaux and the amount of time you're budgeting, also consider the Loire Valley. Their wine region isn't as well-known, but there are many vineyards there, and there are more chateaux there than you can see in your timeframe.

Especially if you're planning one week in Paris, consider 3 or 4 nights for your other location. Depending on travel time, etc., 3 nights may really mean only 2 full days, which may not be enough time to explore whichever area you end up in. While you could, of course, spend months in Paris and never see it all, you might enjoy the variety of a second location on your honeymoon, with more time spent there. Also, while I find Paris hotel prices reasonable, you will probably find cheaper accommodations outside of Paris.

4. I agree with you, that it's a waste of time in France to spend your last night at a Marriott at the airport. So what if you have to leave Paris early in the morning to go to the airport - you can always sleep on the plane! This will, however, mean you have a one-night stay in Paris at the end, which can be a bit of a hassle. For this reason alone, you might want to consider going to Burgundy (or the Loire Valley, or wherever) first, straight from the airport when you fly in. Then your last week (or whatever amount of time) can be spent in Paris.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Don't stay at the airport your last night in Paris. You will have plenty of time to get there for a 11AM flight.

If you insist on using that hotel money, arrange for a very late checkin and endure the two bag drags.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't stay at the airport the last night. Just take a taxi in the morning. It's easy and you have plenty of time.

I prefer hotels to apartments myself. And I would definitely not pick one that was not available for the entire time you need it. I hate moving around places to stay more than necessary.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Don't sell Burgundy short...it's much more than just wines, good though they are.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:35 PM
ira

Hi W,

Why not stay in Paris and take a daytrip to 2-3 of

Auxerre
Troyes
Dijon
Versailles
Chartres
Giverny (Monet's Garden)?

It saves changing hotels except for your one night at the Marriott.

I'd choose one of the two in Paris rather than the airport.

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Here are our latest finds:

http://www.rentalapartmentparis.com/
http://studio.provaction.com/paris/arcadesuk2.html
http://www.parisbestlodge.com/rosiers.html
http://www.parisbestlodge.com/luxembourg.html
http://www.parisbestlodge.com/studiomarais.html

Any advice on these regarding location, price, proximity to Metro, etc.

We are leaning towards the first one, but we are unsure of the 17th Arrondissement.

BTW, we have decided to ditch the hotel near the airport. We are staying in an apartment for a week, then a trip to Burgundy for the rest of our stay.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Paris in April last year and I have posted this trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . Maybe you can find some useful information there d:

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:10 AM

First, regarding possible apartment rentals: in general, as a longtime Parisian I wouldn't recommend the 17th Arrondissement for short-term visitors. The Batignolles area is safe and pretty, but it is not very lively and a bit out-of-the-way. As for the apartment you initially mentioned in the Marais -- I notice that it is on rue Rivoli, which is a very busy and not terribly charming street. The Marais is a terrific neighborhood, though -- it's one of my favorite areas to walk around in, and I have friends who live there and love it. So I am pasting here another Marais possibility: I don't have firsthand knowledge of it, but the photos and the location look good, and the price seems reasonable. http://www.parlerparisapartments.com...provencal.html

Second, regarding Burgundy ... yes, it is wonderful and very accessible from Paris, only an hour and 40 minutes on the TGV to Dijon. But if you really want the full Burgundy experience you will need to rent a car. That's easy to do, as you can pick one up at the train station in Dijon. Car rentals in France aren't cheap, but in my opinion it's worth doing for at least one day. Happily the Cote d'Or region where the great Burgundy wines come from is quite small and only a few minutes' drive from Dijon. For example if you picked up a car in the morning you could head down toward Beaune, stopping along the way to visit a domaine or two in one of the little villages like Aloxe Corton or Gevrey Chambertin. In contrast to Bordeaux, the Burgundy domaines are very small and intimate ... I visited one where the proprietor came to the door in his bedroom slippers and invited us into his private tasting room. If you are visiting in late September, there's a good chance you'll see the vendange -- the grape harvest -- which is interesting to watch. Beaune is a nice town to walk around/have lunch in and visit the Hospices de Beaune. You could easily do all this in a day, overnighting in Dijon either the night before, the night after, or both. Another possibility would be to stay a night in Beaune or out in the surrounding countryside. Dijon is a pleasant town and has some interesting things to see, though on such a short visit I'd give priority to seeing the countryside since it'll be your only taste of "la France profonde."
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info. I love this website.

Mlaffitte, you mention that you don't usually recommend the 17th. We really like the look and feel of that apartment. We also don't mind having to take the metro every morning. Is the access to the metro not very good from the 17th? How long of a commute would we be looking at to get to any of the typical hot spots? Is the area that this apartment is in just not that pretty?

Thanks for everyone's help
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Don't worry, it's not a long metro ride from Batignolles into town, and the neighborhood is very pleasant. In fact you can probably get a little more square footage for your money in Batignolles than in an area like the Marais or the Left Bank. My hesitation in recommending it is that it's a bit bland, essentially a middle-to-upper class residential neighborhood, not as much Old World charm and funkiness as you might get in other areas. But if the apartment feels right for you, by all means go for it!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM

I think Burgundy is much more interesting than the Loire. IMO, the countryside itself is much prettier, and after I saw a couple of the chateaux of the Loire, that was enough for me.

I would heartily recommend Coco's apartment in Dijon as a super place to stay; the location could not be better, and it is a lovely, fantastically equipped studio. www.myhomeindijon.com

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

mlaffitte,

I'm starting to like the look of the Marais apt you recommended. I do have one question. It says it has either 2 twin beds or 1 king size. Does this mean it's 2 beds pushed together? I've seen this a lot while doing my searching. Is this a customary thing? Has anyone slept in these doubled up beds? I just see myself doing my normal tossing in turning during the night and pushing the beds apart and getting stuck. What do ya think?
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:31 AM

I don't know for sure, but my guess is, the 'king' is two twins pushed together. (I want to emphasize, I have no firsthand knowledge of this apartment, it's just one I've seen in an online newsletter I receive, and I thought it looked nice.) My husband & I lived for several years in a furnished apt with this kind of 'king,' and while that wouldn't have been my first choice, we never had a problem with the beds sliding apart.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:33 AM

p.s. to Wendlegee ... if you do end up renting the Marais apt., I'd be interested in hearing how it is, so I'd know whether it would be good to recommend to others. Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:20 AM

I just wanted to suggest that for a first time trip (unless you plan to skip the typical sightseeing) I'd stay somewhere in the 1-8 arrondisements where many of the tourist attractions are located. While the metro is easy to negotiate I wouldn't want to spend unnecessary time on it to get to and from locations daily.

I've debated the Paris first or last issue too. This summer I'm going to Provence for the first week then to Paris for a week. My rationale is that Provence with jetlag will be easier than Paris with jetlag. I figure I can find something to do nearly 24/7 in Paris so I don't want to miss out due to jetlag.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed in this apartment or at least know if its a good location?

http://www.vrbo.com/75429

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Well, we have decided on this apt:

http://www.vrbo.com/75429

I really have to stop looking so deaply into my decisions. Thank you all for your help.

Now on to Burgundy. We are planning on renting a car and driving there. Right now I have 2 basic questions:

1. What area is the best for base camp?
2. Most cottages that I've come across in my search are for a minimum of 1-week stay, but we only have 3 nights. Should I abandon looking for cottages(gits?) and look into places in town?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -