Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pre-theatre dinner near the Gerald Schoenfeld theatre New York?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked at many of the posts on restaurants in New York, including NeoPatrick's, but am still a bit overwhelmed. I only have 3 nights in NYC, one of which is seeing All My Sons at the Schhoenfeld on a Sat. night. Looking for something within walking distance, not too noisy, not Asian food, price not an issue but not pretentious. And what is the dress code for Broadway play on a Saturday night? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Guess I should add the Schoenfeld theatre is on W 45th St.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM

There are probably hundreds of restaurants within walking distance.....and probably dozens of them that could be recommended. How are refining your preferred types of food and a more precise dollar figure!
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Anything goes these days at the theater. Dress for the restaurant or after theater more than the theater. You'll see everything from jeans (and maybe even shorts if it's a hot night) to more typical night out clothes.

As to a restaurant, my picks would be:

Blue Fin for seafood (in the W Times Square hotel)

DB Bistro Moderne for French bistro food

Orso or Bond 45 for Italian.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM

HR is correct in that there is a big range in quality and price; can you be more specific in what you want?

Unfortunately, there is no dress code on B'way and sometimes you see things that you wish you hadn't. If you're a male, nice slacks and shirt are ok; if you like wearing a jacket, that's ok too. Women can also wear nice pants and shirt/blouse or a pants suit or a casual dress. If it's hot (like now), I would want to be comfortable. Some theaters have great air conditioning, so carrying a sweater is a good idea. I was in a theater in June that felt like it was 20 degrees, but that's not the norm.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Add Esca for Italian with a concentration on seafood.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Our old standbys of Roberto Passon and ViceVersa are also within pretty easy walking distance (about 10 minutes for a non-New Yorker). Both are Italian, and VV has a prix-fixe. Robert Passon just has a la carte for dinner, but hte prices are very reasonable there.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Oh ... and dress code. It's casual, but please men wear long pants and everyone wears collared shirts (not wrinkled polos with fanny packs and baseball caps), and real shoes (no flip flops). I know it's not the era anymore when people dress up to go to the theater, but All My Sons is a big people play, so I think you should at least treat it as an occasion and dress like an adult and not a tourist.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Agree -

If you can stump up the big bucks for the theater - and it sounds like a decent restaurant - you should do business casual at a minimum. But suits and dress/pumps are not necessary - esp in the summer heat. We generally dress for the restaurant we will do dinner at after.

Depending on your plans for the day consider dinner later - so you're not rushing through that - then sitting for hours with a stuffed tummy. WE usually do either a late lunch or a light snack and a drink first and then dinner later.

We were at the theater (Fri night) a couple of weeks ago and a couple came in who had obviously been touring all day (grown - not to say oversize - adults in their 40's wearing giant white athletic shoes, too tight or baggy shorts and tee shirts that had seen better days). There was no way they had gone back to the hotel to shower and change - and I felt sorry for the people sitting next to them. Then they kept making little comments to each other - as if they were watching TV in their living room - until someone right behind shushed them.

Sorry - I'm not suggesting the OP would do this - but, really, anyone who doesn't know the difference between the theater and their living room - should stay home.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your assistance! I am actually one who loves to dress up since I don't get the chance too often- so I was actually wondering if I would be overdressed in a cocktail dress(black) and heels. This will be Oct. 4th so heat will not be an issue.

I love French and Italian the best, so am leaning toward Roberto Passon or DB Bistro Moderne. I was also thinking of Chez Josephine- any commments on that one? I saw it received a 2007 award (not sure from whom- it's on their web site) for best pre-theatre dinner? Are any of these compatible with dressier attire?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM

Chez Josephine is more fun after a show, imo, when they have live music. The music doesn't start til about 7:30 so you'd be leaving from a pre theater. The food at DB Bistro is better but ambiance at CJ is fun.

Roberto Passon is very casual. It may be good food and good value, but it's sure not much to look at. I think a black cocktail dress would be very over the top there, not so much so at the 2 French places. Barbetta is a very nice Italian in the area. The ambiance is maybe better than the food, but it's a very nice spot with a lovely garden if it's warm enough.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I'm a longtime fan of Chez Josephine and have consistently recommended it on this forum....excellent food, marvelous ambiance, and perhaps best of all, the owner and host Jean-Claude Baker who definitely will enhance your experience.
mclaurie is correct about the after-theater experience being worth a visit as well....though I'd be hard pressed to say whether the later hour is better. I love it at both times.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Since the theatre is on 45th you also have the option of walking down Restraunt Row on 46th (btwn 8th and 9th) if you have trouble finding any of the previous suggestions. Plenty of options, good prices, and for the most part, decent food.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Black cocktail dress? db Bistro Moderne - the ambiance and service are refined imo.