Dressing for the theater

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dressing for the theater

Do people still get dressed for the theater? My sister and I are heading for NY and I am wondering what to pack. How dressed up do they get?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:20 PM

You will see everything in a New York theater.
Some backpacking kids will be in shorts or jeans, some ladies from the suburbs might be dressed to kill
Usually I wear a black top and pair of black pants a light sweater and trousers, that sort of thing.
It is absolutely up to you~
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:43 PM

I'm with Scarlett. Dress for whatever you're doing before or after.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:46 PM

The ultimate was a matinee in the orchestra when two guys arrived all sweaty at the last minute and sat behind us, they were in those nylon jogging shorts and tank-tops with running shoes (I kid you not). It smelled like a gym within 6 seats any direction. Anything goes at the NYC theatre these days.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:09 PM

It really is true that anything goes these days. I was in the city last night, having been to both the David Letterman show and then Cabaret, and couldn't help but notice the guy in jeans in front of me at Cabaret, as well as a woman in shorts. Certainly you will find more people in neat, smart casual attire, but truly anything reasonable is acceptable.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:35 AM

I'm with Scarlett too. Dress neatly....but there's no need to go "all out". I think it's silly when people wear really flashy clothing to the theater (sequined, tight strapless dresses for example)...all I can think is how uncomfortable they must be with that scratchy fabric digging into them for 3 hours. Plus, it's dark most of the time...no one can see you! Keep in mind that it's a little chilly in the theaters, so a light sweater or jacket is recommended.

Yes, I have seen people wear just about everything and anything to the theater.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:42 AM

I was in NY 2 weeks ago.

It seemed people dressed a little better for Broadway show( The Producers) than for off Broadway( Take Me Out). Younger, more casual crowd at the latter.

But yes, you do see just about everything in terms of dress. ..good point about dressing for where you are going before or after the show.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:15 AM

On a similar note, are the theatres comfortable temperature wise? We'll be in NYC either late July or early Aug. Here in TX, inside buildings in the summer one can hang meat. Is it the same in NYC?
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:42 AM

During the summer the a/c can be a little too cool so take a light sweater. That is best in some of these really old theaters where a/c can be too much in one spot and less wonderful in others.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:51 AM

I find that most people wear whatever they want to the theater. However, Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall seem to attract a better dressed crowd. Only one or two people in jeans and they stand out like a sore thumb.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:52 AM
GoTravel

Wear your prom dress.

Just kidding. Agree with Scarlett and djk, I wear black pants and a black top. Depending on what I am doing after the theater dictates my clothing. I do not wear jeans. I think it is tacky.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:43 AM

Most theaters are comfortable, but sometimes they are overheated or overcooled.

Beware of fancy clothes and high heels. In some theaters, the restrooms (which are nearly always downstairs or upstairs) are not the best or have tiny stalls. And, it can be dangerous getting to your seat (even front row center) in high heels.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:52 AM

We go into NY often for theater and opera. I never wear a skirt or dress anymore; just pants. My usual outfit is slacks, top and blazer jacket.
In warm months, I take a light jacket or sweater in case the AC is cold.
I rarely see anyone very dressed up. Even in Europe, I no longer pack anything but pants. Black is always good.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Darn, I guess I have to unpack that prom dress then! : ) J/K
Really though, thanks so much for all your replies. The one about bringing a sweater was especially helpful.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:26 AM
itleyen

Regretably, in the old days there'd be a more spirited debate about proper dress in large urban areas, usually centered around nyc. Apparently posters now are rather like minded on a casual approach. It always tickled many of us that people would come "uptown" and yet insist on dressing "downtown." I suppose we should be grateful the issues of jeans, tennies and jackets for hubby were not brought in.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:01 PM

For itleyen: It's not that I, personally, have a casual approach...

Once we returned to the hotel to change for dinner at an upscale establishment. While we were enjoying our cocktails, a party was seated at the next table. Opposite me was a fellow in madras shorts and sandals. Who wants to have to avoid looking at hairy knees and dirty feet in a nice restaurant? You know, the kind with glassware with no finger prints, real linens, flatware that doesn't bend, fresh flowers all over...

When the multitudes just don't care and get away with it (few business owners these days turn away business for less than desirable attire), there's no point in "overdressing" certainly.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:08 PM

Well, I threw my Prom dress out long ago, but I can throw something together real quick out of some old draperies

Tonight, while making reservations for dinner in various restaurants , I kept hearing that dress was "Nice Casual"...
Nice for what? Nice for sitting in the park with Pup or Nice for sitting in a restaurant where the appetizers cost $15-20..?
I think we should go back to the days of dressing up for everything after dark!
All if favor, raise your hand
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:39 AM

"Nice Casual" ....apparently this now means "no shirt, no shoes, no service" or something like that.

LMF
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:49 AM

nice casual-no tux needed.wear shoes.
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:10 AM
itleyen

My hand is up! Lets dress up, if for no other reason than we've already taken the time to alter our normal pattern of dining in our shorts and holey tees. We may even have travelled, and now we're in a new place and ready to dine ... and we confuse the affair by thinking casual. And if the men have to do it, then the ladies ought to reciprocate by leaving their pants (cropped or otherwise) in the room, and donning a dress. But no pinafores and sundresses!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -