Search

Zion - Narrows 2-Day & Canyoneering

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zion - Narrows 2-Day & Canyoneering

Hi Everyone!

I am leaving this Wednesday for my big trip out to the southwest and was wondering if anyone has any pointers for me. I've read through many of the posts on this subject for the past year and didn't see anything on two of the activities I'm most concerned about.

We will be doing a Canyon Adventure Day through Zion Adventure Company and a 2-day thru-hike in the Narrows.

I've heard a few good things about ZAC, but would love some recent reviews if anyone has used them lately.

If you've done the Narrows 2-day, did you bring tents? I've heard that you can do it either way and am debating whether they are necessary or not considering we have to lug them along. Also, did anyone have any problems with bugs?

We're also planning to drive down to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Any good ideas for a short activity there? We'll be driving back same day.

Finally, any other must-sees or pointers for the area? I can't wait for this trip!

Thanks, Jenni
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Hi Jenni,

I have not done the thru hike as a backpack in the Narrows - yet. ZAC should be able to answer all your questions about equipment, etc. Tents may very well be optional with them, as they will provide equipment.

However - it sounds like you have never backpacked? If not, you will have to weight and decide:

# 1 Less weight to carry (by approx. 3 lbs or less per person) or,
# 2 slightly more cosy and secure feeling to sleep in a tent (not wondering if it's going to rain on you or having a bug or reptile joining you.

As to canyoneering - are you planning to do something else with the adventure company? I would not recommend that you go on your own. For real canyoneering, technical equipment and experience are required.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:40 PM

PS - it might help you decide if you ask the ZAC how much your pack will weigh. Then you can decide on tent or not.

Personally, when I pack I will not take more than 35 lbs. (not much). That's for 3 -4 days with tent.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Dayle,

Yes, we are definitely doing a guided canyoneering trip with ZAC, just wondering if anyone had been on the same trip and what their experiences have been so I know more of what to expect.

And no, I have not been camping with backpacks before...though I have been camping and I have been backpacking, so hopefully I will be able to combine the two of them! I guess we will figure things out when we get to ZAC to rent all of our equipment.

Thanks for responding so quickly! Jenni
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Jenni-
We did a family adventure day of canyoneering with ZAC in August '04 and LOVED it. Not for the faint-hearted or the weak....there are definitely moments of sheer fear...but well worth it.

If my visit is recent enough, let me know and I'll give more details.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Hi Jenni,

Usually when people refer to backpacking, that means they are going camping for one or more nights and carrying everything they need in a backpack. As opposed to a day hike with a small pack. Big difference.

You guys will be carrying your drinking water, food, toileting essentials, etc. For only one night, you pack will not be too heavy, so the added weight of the tent will be up to you. Just remember every ounce matters so absolute necessities only.

You shouldn't really have any bug problems. Our climate is so dry, especially this year, that it's not usually a big deal. You might have some mosquitoes in the shade at the beginning of the hike at higher altitude.

Please do a trip report and let us know how it went for you! It will be something you never forget for sure!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

CCrosner,

Would definitely love to hear more about it!

Thanks, Jenni
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:38 AM

Jenni--
I thought from your OP that you were leaving this past Wednesday on your trip....but I'll write with details anyway in case I misunderstood your comment.

We spent a very fun day canyoneering with Nick at Zion Adventure Company back in August 04. At the time, our kids were 8 and 10. My son and I are fearful of heights so we knew this would be a challenge. Won't get in to particulars here about overcoming our fears, but we did.

The drive to the site (which is south of Springdale) took about 45 minutes. We each carried quite heavy backpacks with us up the two mile (I think) trail. And it's definitely UP. We had extra weight since we would be wearing dry suits (it was actually September 1st) that needed to be carried not worn up the hill. And all of the climbing equipment and water and food, etc.

We did two 40 foot drops and then had lunch in a cool little pool area. My husband was a bit surprised by the amount of water that you go through. But canyoneering is based on following water flows through canyons...thus the water!

After lunch we did a "down hike" which was the scariest thing any of us have ever done in our lives. Think climbing down sand covered boulders where the margin for error means you fall a long way on rock! I went first (crazy) and was more panicked by the idea that my kids were going to have to go next. We ended up using climbing equipment to get down which was much more secure (no chance of falling).

From there we did one or two more descents. We did not do the 120 foot drop (which I would have loved to have done) because our daughter was just too tired and the guide felt it would be dangerous for her to be exhausted. Good call I think since she gave out on the last 50 foot drop and basically hung from her rope!!!

We all enjoyed the day although our daughter now says "the next time Daddy says we're doing something scary, I'm not going." My husband found it emotionally difficult as he is the one who pushed us to go. And there were many minutes where we were scared to death. I actually am glad we did it as it proved we could.

Enjoy!!! And if you see Nick, tell him the Rosners (whose daughter ended up getting her picture published in a book on Extreme Kids thanks to him) say hi.