Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Zion-Bryce and beyond: itinerary comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and two teenagers have finally found a small window during which to visit southern Utah, and would appreciate any comments you have on this rough itinerary (based to a large degree on really helpful info from this forum!) We leave later this week.

preliminary day: fly to Vegas and spend the night

first real day: shop, drive to Springdale, and get our tent camp set up. We have a riverside campsite reserved in Watchman Campground for one night. Thinking we'll try our luck and hope for a good site for the second night. Or check into an air conditioned motel if we just can't take it!

day 2: maybe tubing on the Virgin, maybe some short hikes, get oriented to the park.

day 3: hike the Narrows in a.m., then drive to Bryce, where we have 2 nights booked at Bryce Canyon Lodge (I just got this, so there must have been a cancellation). I have read that the lodge is wonderful because of its setting.

day 4: try to book a horse trip into the canyon, or hike and explore the area.

day 5: more exploring, then depart Bryce for parts unknown. This is where I could really use some help.

for day 6, our last night, I reserved a campsite at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. This leaves night 5 open for pushing on to Boulder and Escalante if we want to. I'd like to see highway 12, but don't want to spend tons of time in the car (just read maw's trip report, which was very helpful) Or, if our time would be better spent in the Escalante region, we could skip the North Rim entirely and spend 2 nights around Torrey. Or perhaps we should head directly from Bryce to the North Rim and spend two nights there. My kids would like to see the Grand Canyon, but I know we won't get to do more than look around and do a short hike if we spend only one night there. (we have to arrive back at the Las Vegas airport by 9 p.m. on day 7)

So, do any of you have opinions on 2 days of Grand Staircase-Escalante vs. 2 days of North Rim of the Grand Canyon vs. splitting time between the two? Or none of the above? Have I created a driving nightmare? Are fires a concern in those areas now?

I considered the Page raft trip, but that seems a bit out of the way. Am open to persuasion if it really isn't such a bad drive. I considered the South Rim, but didn't want to do the extra driving if we could have a meaningful Grand Canyon visit on the North Rim.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Kathy
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM

IMO, that last couple of days is too much. Instead, from Bryce, I'd go out U-12 (one of the most beautiful drives in the country) to Torrey. I'd make Torrey my base and explore Capitol Reef NP. You'll have plenty of time to get back to LV for your evening flight on the last day.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Springdale is going to be close to 100 degrees soon. I'll have my husband comment on your plans today--he knows the area.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:35 PM
maw

Just wanted to say Utahtea is the campground expert but myself and daughters walked the paved trail thru the campground area and thought it was very nice, many sites by the pretty (and cool-nice on a hot day!)river and good cliff views.
Allow a GOOD 1/2 day at least for the Narrows, not one you want to rush..wonderful swimmin holes and lots of photo ops!
I will say, there IS something to being able to see any of the Grand Canyon but you don't want to spend all your time in the car either--any chance you'll get back to the area for a "real" Grand Canyon visit?? Otherwise we loved the Capitol Reef park (Torrey area). I'd pick one of your choices and spend 2 nights.
Looking forward to your trip report..we would definitely consider the Bryce cabins if we get back for a Zion/Bryce spring break sometime. The Bryce horse ride is great--wranglers have quite the sense of humor and love 'playing up' the cowboy stuff.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:43 AM

If you have a riverside campsite, most of those are really shady. When we were there last Nov. they had put up wooden fences so that you can only get down to the river at certain locations. It use to be you could go down anywhere but they are trying to let nature reclaim some of those areas. It's still easy to get down to the river.

We've camped in Zion on 100+ degree days. I just put on my bathing suit, go get wet in the Virgin River and then go back to campsite to cook dinner and it's not bad at all!

As for what to do with the last 2 nights...that's a hard choice. I would either do one or the other and not try to do a little of each.

If you do the Grand Canyon, then spend the two nights there and I would make reservations for the 2nd night camping.

If you decide on seeing scenic Hwy 12 then spend the two nights at Capitol Reef. The campground there is really nice. Lots of shade trees and it doesn't get quite as hot as Zion. Capitol Reef is a first come, first serve campground but you really shouldn't have a problem getting a sight if you're there by early afternoon.

Good luck on your decision...and what ever you choose...it will be a good decision! You really can't go wrong with either!

Utahtea
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM

In May I flew into Vegas (arrived at noon) and drove to Springdale the same day. So, unless you want to stay overnight in Vegas for some reason, get out of Dodge ASAP!

We spent one night in the Desert Pearl Inn just outside the gates of Zion and it was one of the most pleasant lodgings I've experienced. Check our their web site to get a feel for the place. Springdale was a lovely little town. Eat at the Bit 'n Spur. There's a free trolley that will take you all over town and another that will take you into the park so you can park the car for good. We only spent one night in Springdale, but to see Zion properly you need at least two nights there. Like the earlier poster, I'd recommend you see Zion and Bryce on this trip and save GC for another trip. Enjoy yourselves and don't rush.