Help with # of Nights at Utah National Parks and a Couple Other ?'s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all. I'd like opinions on splitting three nights between Zion and Bryce N.P.'s next May. Which one is more deserving of the extra night and why? Also, I'd like to participate in some horseback riding at one of these two parks. Is one more enjoyable than the other for this activity?

I'm working on an itinerary of about 9-10 days originating from central Missouri, driving all the way. The other destinations on my list include Mesa Verde, CO., Antelope Canyon in AZ., and Arches and Canyonlands near Moab, UT.

Regarding Zion in particular, would anyone say there is a comparison between Zion N.P. and Yosemite N.P.?

Here's another question about Arches N.P. I read that it is fantastic to view Delicate Arch at sunset. I understand it's an hour hike each way. Is it a safe path back to your car after sunset?

If a person has already visited the Grand Canyon, is Canyonlands in UT worth a visit?

Thank you all for any opinions. I've read numerous past posts about these areas and have taken many notes. But I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions as I work on my plans.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:11 AM

It is really a very personal opinion on the subject of which is better...Bryce or Zion. Many people have BIG preferences so it's very hard to decided if someone will like one over the other.

I personally prefer Zion. We took my BIL and SIL this summer and spent 2 nites at both. They wish we had only spent one at Bryce.

Since Bryce and Zion are so close together you can spend two nights at one park and then move early the next morning to the other park.

On the comparison of Zion to Yosmite Valley, I will say that in both of them you are in a valley looking up at high walls of stone. In Yosemite the stone is granite and in Zion it's mulit-colored sand stone. Both very beautiful...yet different.

On the subject of Delicate Arch. I prefer being there at sunset because you get the best light for pictures at that time. After sun sets on Delicate Arch there is still light for quite a while afterwards (depending on the time of year) to get you back. Take a flashlight incase it does get dark. We have walked back the last part of the trail in moonlight before.

I've been to both Grand Canyon and Canyonlands many times. Canyonlands is well worth the time! I love the Green River Overlook at Canyonlands.

Utahtea

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Uma

I, too, would go with spending two nights at Zion and one at Bryce Canyon.
We stayed in one of the cabins at Zion -it was great to wake up in the park with deer and wild turkeys at our door, and the wonderful view. Stayed at Ruby's
in Bryce, but would have preferred the
Lodge in the park.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:21 AM

I would do 2 nights in Zion and 1 in Bryce. I had done it the other way around a few years ago in May, and there was snow and ice at Bryce, which closed the trails, so we couldn't hike!

The best thing about Bryce is that you can just drive around to all the overlooks...it can easily be done in a day.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Idnas71 ~
I remember, last summer being with a guide while @Canyonlands and saying "This is like Utah's own Grand Canyon". I had seen the Grand Canyon, south rim and remember it as being spectacular. Canyonlands was also so vast. You could see for miles (even w/last summer's smoke from the fires), it was so peaceful & quiet. And to think geologists still debate Canyonlands' origin ~ very cool. We sometimes felt like we were the only people among the Canyonlands.
The views from Dead Horse St. Park are also memorable. My family had never seen the Colorado river before. We made Dead Horse Pt. our first stop while in Moab. The trails there are short & easy.
You'll also love Arches! Bring plenty of water for your hike to Delicate Arch. This hike was a true highlight of our entire trip. (Chapter 2 of my son's 9th grade Earth Science book refers to Arches NP w/a full page picture of Delicate Arch. He's the only student in school who's actually done this hike.) There are also several references to Canyonlands, Bryce & Zion. Such great stuff!
Also ~ we stayed at Ruby's while @Bryce and went horseback riding at Red Canyon in the morning. This was arranged through Ruby's. Highly recommend!
Have fun planning & bring plenty of film!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:59 AM

While at Bryce go to Tropic, UT and eat at the Hoodoo restaurant. It is this little place in a building shared by generalstore (the real thing - the locals shop for everything there), gift shop, candy store, and gas station. We had incredible local trout there. It beats eating several meals in a row at Ruby's. If you take AM horseback ride at Ruby's, be aware that they often leave and arrive back late - we were trying to check out by noon (ride due back at 11 AM) and drive a certain distance that day - riders did not return until after 1:30 and this seemed quite common. Husband and dtr. who went said it was beautiful.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Just wanted to add:
The morning we did the horseback riding @Red Canyon, we first checked out of Ruby's. Instead of driving in their van to Red Canyon, we followed the van in our own vehicle. That way, we were free to go and do as we pleased after the AM ride. It worked out well.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I am reading with much interest and still hope to hear from others.

If I chose to do the horseback riding at Bryce over Zion, would that be good reason to stay the second night at Bryce instead of Zion?

I will bring lots of film, rest assured. I am obsessed with taking the perfect picture, and at places like this I bet I could go through three rolls a day. I've been wanting to see this part of the country for years, but it seems other opportunities always present themselves and I can't say no to chances of traveling with friends. I'm a single gal, so finding friends to travel with is hard to come by sometimes. I have traveled solo before, but it's just more fun having a friend to share the experience.

When I asked about the hike to and specifically from Delicate Arch, I guess I envisioned falling off a cliff in the dark or something like that. Seems all state parks in my area close at sundown for safety reasons and such.

Thanks again, and I look forward to any other responses.

Sandi
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:40 AM

We stayed one night at both Bryce and Zion, and had plenty of time for hiking and exploring at both. If I had to choose one to spend 2 nights at, it would be Zion, since it is bigger, and the grounds at the lodge are very relaxing - lots of open greenspace, outdoor cafe, etc.
We did the horseback ride at Ruby's, outside of Bryce, it was a lot of fun. The cowboys who led it were real characters. On the other hand, I've heard that the rides within Bryce are more spectacular. You will have lots of photo ops in both parks. Definitely hike the Navajo and Queens garden trails at Bryce, preferably early, to get some otherworldly shots in the hoodoos.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Hi again Sandi,
As for the hike to Delicate Arch @sunset ~ the "scariest part" is just before you come around the corner to have the arch come into your view. It made me a bit nervous and I certainly wouldn't want to be there in the dark. Other than that, you are on an easy to navigate slickrock trail. Also, the arch itself is at the edge of a slickrock bowl. Walking out there was somewhat of a challenge, since the slickrock is tilted ~ but my husband held my hand and I did it! (o.k. so I'm fairly afraid of heights. You wouldn't want to fall here.)
But, Utahtea says you'll have time to descend before it's dark. Going back down is the easy part!
I know what you mean about travel planning. There are just too many places we need to see!!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:12 PM

I have visited both Bryce and Zion.They both are wonderful parks and have different types of scenery. I think you only need one night at Bryce of course that depends on what time you arrive that day. If it is early you should be able to drive through the park stop at all view points and still have time to do horseback ride. If you are planning to do some extensive hiking another night would be needed. I have done horseback ride in both parks and think the scenery was more spectacular by horse in Bryce.
Whatever you do it will be a wonderful trip. I think everyone should see this part of the country it's beautiful. I also have done hike to delicate arch at sunset. I would suggest if you do as soon as the sun sets start walking down because there still would be some light to see your way down we stayed on top a little too long and it was quite dark coming down and we didn't know to bring flashlights so make sure you do also good walking shoes.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:53 PM

I concur with the above. Zion is much bigger and there are a greater variety of hikes there, so I would stay the extra night at Zion. I love both parks and wish you a great trip.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:09 PM

I agree with the others that Zion deserves more time--it's just a larger, grander park that has more trails and variety. You could do Bryce as a daytrip--while the trails are great, it's a smaller place in general. IMHO, Bryce doesn't hold a candle to Zion and Arches in terms of natural splendor.

Arches really is an amazing place. Three rolls of film would not be too few to carry with you on that trip--we couldn't stop taking pictures! As for coming back down Arches: if you go at sunset and linger for about an hour up there, there will be plenty of people coming back down with you, so don't be concerned that--even if it's dark--there won't be others around.

My favorite trail at Arches is Devil's Garden--it ends at the Double-O arch. If you're adventurous and not afraid of heights, you can actually walk OVER the top arch--the view from the top is just phenomenal, and peaceful.

One place I'd stay in Springdale (outside Zion) is the Red Rock Inn--www.redrockinn.com. Spacious rooms with little porches in the front. The best outdoor breakfast I've had in a long time, too!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:17 PM

On our recent two week trip I took 707 pictures with my new digital camera...I also love taking pictures. I can't wait to get back to Delicate Arch with my digital camera!

In May you are going to lose daylight faster than in the summer, so I would take the flashlights! As others have mentioned, you will really need to leave as soon as the sun sets. The only cliff to fall off of is right as you leave, but there will be plenty of daylight at this point.

I want to point out that you can get horse back rides from outside the park at Ruby's and inside the Park. The rides from Ruby's DO NOT go into the park. If you want to ride horses inside the park then you have to hire them inside the park thought the park service.

To Coffeeaddict:

The trail continues past Double O Arch for another mile to Dark Angel. It was really exciting walking on those sandstone fins.

Utahtea
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. I had pretty much concurred that Zion would be the one to get two nights, but I wanted to pose the question in case someone else might point out a good reason to do otherwise.

I can't believe the park service allows people to walk on top of the arch.

If I could squeeze in possibly another night or two on this trip, one in the Mesa Verde area, should I make an effort to visit Natural Bridges? I first thought if I visit Arches, how different can a natural bridge be? But I'm thinking that's not the case now. I've got lots of time to figure this out, but I do like to plan a pretty solid itinerary. Thank you, again.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:48 AM

I just did Zion and Bryce in August. It is the right decision to stay 2 nights at Zion and plan on doing most of your hikes there. I did the horse ride in Bryce and it was definately the right decision. They are the only ones to take you to the bottom of the canyon, you do have a choice of a 2 or 4 hour ride. From what I learned it is very possible that you have snow and or cold weather at Bryce in May...just a FYI.

Bryce is also much higher elevation than Zion, could make hiking more challenging depending on your conditoning. I am from the Midwest and found Bryce's 8K plus feet gave me shortness of breath at some point. Issue is much less at Zions 4K elevation.

By all means stay in the parks if at all possible. Have a great time!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Natural Bridges National Monument is a good park if you have plenty of time to spend in the area.

If I had to choose the amount of time I would spend at Arches and Natural Bridges....just to give you an idea.... I would pick 2 to 3 days at Arches and a 1/2 day at Natural Bridges.

I'd say to see Mesa Verde you need at least one whole day to do it some justice. 1 1/2 days would be better and you could get in two of the guided tours.

Utahtea
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

All right... let me lay it all out for you guys to look over. You've been very helpful already. These are my earliest stages of planning, some changes need to be made.

Day 1: Jeff City, MO to Pueblo, CO (13.5 hours/784 miles). I think driving a bit further this first day would be a good idea as I know I won't be tired yet. Adrenaline rush on first day of vacation is always a given.

Day 2: Pueblo (or somewhere on the way) to Cortez, CO. (8 hours/315 miles). I originally thought just spend one night here but I think I'd like to drive the loop to Telluride in this area now.

Day 3: Visit Mesa Verde, N.P. Drive to Page, AZ for overnight. (6 hours/215 miles).

Day 4: Visit Antelope Canyon. Drive to Zion N.P., visit Coral Pink Sand Dunes on the way. (3 hours/120 miles)

Day 5: Visit Zion, stay second night. Maybe visit some of Cedar Breaks this day, too.

Day 6: Drive to Bryce early in morning. Horseback riding, walk some trails. (2.5 hours / 95 miles)

Day 7: Drive to Moab -- visit Escalante Petrified Forest and Capitol Reef on the way. Hope to arrive at Arches in time for the sunset hike to Delicate Arch. (5.5 hours/ ? miles)

Day 8: Visit more of Arches N.P. and Canyonlands N.P. Drive part of Route 191 looking for Fisher Towers(?) and Petroglyphs(?). Undecided to stay second night here or drive part-way home. It's 19 hours and 1,100 miles from Moab back to Missouri.

Day 9: Driving home.

So, I'm pretty sure about adding an extra day near Mesa Verde. Maybe an extra day in Moab if I'd like to see the Natural Bridges Monument. Any comments on my plans? I tried to break it up between the days so it's not all driving but maybe I still need to cut something (or add something close that I'm missing?) I want to experience as much variety as possible on this trip because I seriously doubt I'd be back to the same area. Too many places on my trip wish list for that.

So thanks again if anyone wishes to comment further on my plans.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:34 AM

WOW...you are really taking about a WORLD WIND TOUR!

OK, I checked and you will have about 14 hours of sunlight in May, but to do even part of all you planned you better be up at sunlight!

Day 5: Spend it all in Zion. I guarentee you will enjoy hiking there much more than traveling to and from Cedar Breaks. Cedar Breaks is just a mini-Bryce Canyon. You will see a much better and grander exhibit in Bryce

Day 7: You don't have enough driving time between Bryce and Moab. Plan on this route taking at least 7 hours of just driving time! This is 265 miles if you take Hwy 12 and visit Capitol Reef. I would skip Escalante Petrified Forest, but if you go, just take a look at the petrified wood they have near the campground. There just isn't that much on the hike and the hike will take up to much of your precious time. Instead, spend the time in Capitol Reef.

Day 8: Fisher Towers is out on Hwy 128. If you are going to be driving home on I-70 then just drive Hwy 128 to I-70 the day you leave. It is a very scenic drive along the Colorado River.

There are petroglyphs out on the Potash Road (Hwy 279) and Kane Creek Road. Both go west of town along the Colorado River. Potash is in the north bank and Kane Creek is on the south bank of the Colorado River. Just ask anyone in town for directions. Both are pretty short and very scenic drives.

I would skip Natural Bridges this trip.

I would recommend adding a day to Mesa Verde so that on the day you drive to Page, AZ you could stop at Monument Valley just 20 miles north of Kayenta on Hwy 163. Also as you drive to Page, take Hwy 98 to save an hour of driving time. BTW, on Hwy 98 you will pass the entrance to Upper Antelope Canyon.

Utahtea
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:43 AM

P. S. On Day 8 the city I'm talking about was Moab.

Also check out my favorite web site for this area:

http://www.so-utah.com/

Utahtea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -