Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for Summer Trip: Bryce, NR Grand Canyon, Zion Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My family, DH and 3 sons ages 8, 8 & 6 will be travelling to UT this summer. I have been reading suggestions all over the forum about stops and where to stay and trying to work with reservations. So far we have the following trip laid out:

Day 1: Arrive Las Vegas Friday mid day, travel to Bryce stay at Bryce Canyon Lodge
Day 2: Hiking trails in Bryce
Day 3: Early horseback ride Bryce, drive to North Rim of Grand Canyon
Stay grand Canyon Lodge in Western Cabin
Day 4: Hike trails NRGC
Late afternoon head to Zion (or head to Coral Sands State Park?)
Day 5: Hike Angel's Landing or similar trail in early morning (Zion)
Tube on river or splash in Emerald Pools in afternoon
Day 6: Hike the Narrows (Zion)
Relax by pool in afternoon?
Day 7: Zion Canyoneering
Day 8: Zion Horseback ride, afternoon return to Las Vegas
Day 9: Meet up with family in Las Vegas, see the sites in the city or possilbly Hoover Dam
Day 10: Fly home

We have considered a completely different route where we go Las Vegas to Moab on the first day, go see Arches then on to Bryce. It would mean a really long day the first day and probably taking a day off of Zion. On one hand we see Arches and maybe Capital Reef or something. On the other hand it means more driving and less doing. Thoughts would be appreciated.

I should mention that I have reservations in Zion at the Desert Pearl Inn. I have some nights in the other areas in the parks but I do not have the reservations and this plan completely aligned yet. I am hoping that with persistent calling I will be able to get the nights I want. I am just trying to figure out what I want and how to be flexible if I need to be.

Questions:
Is it going to be too hot in July in Zion to have this trip and enjoy it? I think my kids will do fine with enough water, sunblock, hats and rest but I'm not certain.

Are we spending too much time in Zion? It seems like there is a lot to do here and while I know there is so much to see in UT I would rather spend time doing, not driving.

As a follow up to the above question, are we spending enough time in the other parks? My sons are not old enough for the mule ride in the NRGC but are old enough for the other activites in Zion. Is there something we are going to be close to that we should not miss? I should say that the kids get bored after a short time just seeing scenery. DH & I would much rather have them doing then driving.

For example we think Antelope Canyon looks beautiful! We don't think we can get there this trip. (Or can we?) Is there a place on this route that would have similar slot canyons?

Should we change this trip to start at Salt Lake City (or end there?) would that allow us to see more or go more places? Should we just leave Arches for another trip? I know I already posted some questions but this is much more focused thanks to all of your help. I thought if I started over from scratch it would be more clear.

Thank you for all ideas you have.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Hang 20, I have the same trip planned for July... from what I have read on here, it could be very hot in Zion with midday temps in the low 100s. Hiking early and late in the day (morning on the east side of Zion Canyon, afternoon on the west side) should alleviate the heat somewhat. There is plenty to do at Zion... you have a good plan with the Narrows, Angels Landing and Emerald Pools. Check other threads for details about these hikes.

Bryce Canyon and North Rim are at much higher elevation, the heat shouldn't be as bad in those parks. You might need jackets at night in those parks. I hear the hiking is great but not as much of a variety as Zion, especially with young children as you say.

We are doing these 3 parks in 6 days, then back to Vegas for a few nights... I feel you should stick with southwest Utah for this trip, and save Arches for another time. You want to relax a some point... if you have time though, a side trip to Cedar Breaks may be fun.

Good luck and please report back!
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Hang20,

I think your plan is good and would leave it as is. One thing though, I wouldn't do the horseback ride in Zion if you have already done one at Bryce. The Zion ride is rather dull and just ok on the scenery.

If you do a ride a Bryce be aware that you have 2 options. You can go down INTO the canyon on the ride through the Natl Park Service. Need to book ahead. Check age limits. Plus, you very well might be riding a mule if it matters to anyone. They are more sure-footed than horses. If you ride with Ruby's (big tourist motel just outside the park boundaries, you will not go down into the canyon. Also need to book ahead.

Remember to start your hiking EARLY. It can be up to 100 before noon some days.

Moab deserves a bare minimum of 3 days just on its own. That's if you don't do a lot of activities and just sightsee with the short walks to the easily accessible arches. A week is much better - time for a rafting trip, 4x4, hiking, canyoneering.

Have fun!
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 02:22 PM

PS- the 6 yr old might have a little trouble with the Narrows. Be sure to have proper cold water foot wear and treking poles or similar for balance. The Narrow IS a slot canyon!
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I was in SW Utah with my daughter last September.

I kept trying to put in Antelope Canyon (I've been there) but couldn't justify the number of daytime driving hours it would require on such a short trip.

For Bryce I would make sure to get up very early and be at Bryce Point for a spectacular sunrise. You can be sure you won't be alone. I was quite amused to see a tour bus arrive as the sunrise viewers were leaving.

I don't think anything is like Antelope Canyon. There are several slot canyons just east of Bryce but these are hiking canyons and definitely don't have the effect of AC.

As far as Moab and Arches NP go you have to decide when you think you might get back to it. If it's a dream then you might want to consider flying into and out of SLC and spend two days in Arches. But still count on possibly cutting some activities.

It's only 4 hours from SLC to Moab. You could hike to Delicate Arch for an amazing sunset on the way in from SLC before checking in to your motel.

You can leave arounf 4pm on the second day in Moab and stop in Goblin Valley for a couple of hours. The kids would have a ball there. Then drive as far as you can on the way to Bryce.

I think you can save a couple of days by dropping the horseback riding in Zion and grouping a few Zion hikes into the same day.

Yes, you've added a long drive from Moab but if you may not be back for a long time you may want to do it. If it were me, I'd add Moab and drop a day in Zion and maybe even the North Rim. GC isn't one of my favorite places considering all the other places there are to see.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM

I don't know that splashing in the Emerald Pools would be that great of an experience. If you want to get wet, stick with either tubing or The Narrows. I think your 6 year old will be ok in The Narrows, but you might want to consider a life jacket. If the flow is going strong and high, don't even consider it. Angels Landing is a place you will want to be careful. I would take a child there, but not sure I would feel comfortable with 3 small kids. Just make sure you hold the little ones hand at a few spots and that the other two take it very serious on the last bit. It is a pretty tough hike, so they need to know that it takes a couple of hours to get to the top, coming down is easy. Do Not rush going up or coming down on the last 1/2 mile, it is severe dropoffs. I don't know that I would call it super dangerous, but there is some real risk there.

Your kids will love the canyoneering. I haven't done it in Zion, but have done it with a Moab Company Twice. Very addicting.

I have twin neighbor boys that I play with a lot. They are 8 as well. They are very athletic and good kids and will listen and mind. I wouldn't hesitate at all to take them on the adventures that you are doing.

Day 2 at Bryce will be on a Saturday. Your kids might enjoy the ranger-led night sky program.

I like your plan just fine. I think it is much better to see a couple of places in a week and do the right. You can always go back later to Utah and do the other areas. They are all great.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. I am wondering a couple of things:
1. I don't have the second night booked in Bryce yet. Do you think it is full because it is a Saturday and the ranger hikes are so popular? I know they have some rooms that open up mid week, how likely is it that it is a tour that will not fully book and the rooms will open up?

2. What if we skipped the horseback ride in Zion and (with a few dates shifting) went to Antelope Canyon instead. How far is AC from Bryce or Zion?

3. I have to say I am not crazy about going to the Grand Canyon or Hoover dam. I have done them both and would rather explore more parks (or one park more in depth). I know everyone should see the GC at least once but maybe waiting until the boys are old enough to do a rafting trip down would be a better choice. (that would be a great trip with teenagers!)

4. We have looked into flying into Moab (more $$ than flying into Las Vegas) and flying out of LV. One challenge is the rental car pick up and drop off. Although we are leaning against going this route (not enough time in Arches or other parks in that area) has anyone done this with a car company recently in this area. It has to be common between SLC and LV.

5. What about rental cars? We were just going to get a mini van. Are we going to wish we had 4WD? A large SUV is expensive but not as much as a tow from some of these remote areas!

Again thank you for thoughts and feedback.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Hello! We did the same (3) parks in July 2010. We did them in 7 days making GCNR a day trip. I actually agree with you about the CGNP. We included it because, as you say, everyone should see it. My 82 year old MIL joined us on the trip, and I couldn't be so close to the park and not take her to see it. However it was the kids least favorite park, the one they were least able to 'explore'. And on many of the overlooks we had to force them to get out of the car!!
As far as the heat, yes it will be hot. And you will feel it most in Zion. The kids were constantly climbing inside of caves at bryce and going under rock ledges at Zion to escape the heat. We bought them large water bottle carriers. We actually almost ran out of water on the hike at Bryce. By the way, you may or may not know that they do not sell waterbottles at the park. We didn't realize did and were very surprised. In retrospect, it's a great idea, but if you're expecting to buy your waterbottles at the park, you will be out of luck.
At Bryce we did the 2hour? horseback ride into the bottom of Bryce. You will be sore when your done, but it is a nice way to get to see many of the hoodoos. I think the minimum age for the kids though is 7, and they are strict about it. As far as Zion, we felt the heat most doing the emerald pools trails, the one from the middle pools to the third pool has very little shade. My MIL didn't make it to the top. The third pool is the only one you could really splash around in, although there are signs posted saying not to. The Desert Pearl remains everyones favorite hotel of the entire trip. Including the hotels in Vegas. We had a room facing the pool and the kids just loved the freedom of being able to come and go as they pleased. The Narrows is a most do. Heat will not be an issue here. Please make sure you rent the proper equipment. There are plenty of people that don't and I can't imagine not having at least the proper footwear. My Dh, was injured and couldn't do the Narrows, and he swears we will go back on day just so that he can see it. Try to take a waterproof camara. The pictures will be incredible. This were the only hikes we attempted with our large group and limited time, but we would go back in a heartbeat, heat or no heat!!! Enjoy...
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 10:11 PM

Swimming in Emerald Pools is no longer allowed. Keep to the Virgin River for cooling off.

Utahtea
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 02:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hang20,

Antelope Canyon is about 2.5 hours from Zion and 3 hours from Bryce Canyon.

I don't think a ranger presentation affects the occupancy. However, the day of the week could. Just keep calling. More often as you get within the last month and a half.

Of all these places GC is my least favorite.

Several years ago I picked up a car in LV and dropped it off in PHX. That cost $100. extra.

SLC is more condusive to a loop than LV. It's only 4 hours from SLC to Moab and 5 hours from Zion to SLC.

You're not planning on doing anything that would require a 4WD.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 03:48 AM

If repeated calling doesn't result in a room at Bryce, make a cancellable reservation nearby, Ruby's or in Tropic where there are several chains and keep trying. In any case the kids might be ready for a motel with a pool as long as it is close enough for you to go back and forth.

As for the car rental, if you decide to do the one way drop off, check both directions sometimes it is cheaper one direction than the other. LAS to SLC or SLC to LAS.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Alamo car rental, but I am flying into Grand Junction, then dropping of in St. George. There are a couple of flights into Moab, but car rental there and then dropping off elsewhere is really hard to come by.

You can rent 4 Wheel Drive for just a day or two at Moab Adventure Center.

I think you are right in saving Moab for a later trip. You really need several days to do it. There is a lot to see in that area. I have been to GC three times, including rafting. I haven't been to the north rim, but I think I would do just as you are and go see it.

I think your kids would like Goblin Valley. I don't see it being a good idea for this trip, but perhaps when you go to Arches/Moab in a year or two. The kids there I saw seemed to be having a blast. I took my neighbor with me(he's 21) and it was his favorite place. So I guess big kids like it too.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Alamo car rental, but I am flying into Grand Junction, then dropping of in St. George. There are a couple of flights into Moab, but car rental there and then dropping off elsewhere is really hard to come by.

You can rent 4 Wheel Drive for just a day or two at Moab Adventure Center.

I think you are right in saving Moab for a later trip. You really need several days to do it. There is a lot to see in that area. I have been to GC three times, including rafting. I haven't been to the north rim, but I think I would do just as you are and go see it.

I think your kids would like Goblin Valley. I don't see it being a good idea for this trip, but perhaps when you go to Arches/Moab in a year or two. The kids there I saw seemed to be having a blast. I took my neighbor with me(he's 21) and it was his favorite place. So I guess big kids like it too.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 01:14 PM

Hang20, we're planning a similar trip this summer with our kids ages 7 and 10, although we're adding another week and Yellowstone, too.

Regarding the Grand Canyon and rafting, a half-day float trip out of Page was recommended to me on another board as a great option for kids this age (and grown ups). I looked into it and it's a little spendy, but all the reviews I have read were really positive (4.5 stars out of 5). Not sure what the link policy on this board is, but if you google "page, az float trip" you'll find it at the top of the page.

We haven't decided if we're going to do it or not, but thought I'd pass it along since you seemed interested in the rafting.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM

We did the half day float trip from page and enjoyed it. We stopped along the way at a place that had pit toilets and there were some petroglyphs there too. The ride down to the river was fun, you go through a tunnel carved into the rock that was used in the construction of the dam.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM

I am sure the float trip is great, but if your kids are adventurous go for the real thing with white water.

There is also Cateract Canyon out of Moab. I haven't done it, but hope to in a year or so. It is my understanding that is a short version of GC with equally good whitewater. It runs much faster early in the season. So June is probably a real humdinger of a ride and then later in July probably not nearly as wild.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:36 AM

I would think the kids would get more out of the Grand Canyon when they are older, so skip it if you aren't excited about going.

Antelope Canyon is out of your way, do you think your kids will enjoy it that much? There are slot canyons in/near Zion. I would save Antelope for another trip.

Check on dune buggy rentals at Coral Pink Sand Dunes, not sure if your kids are old enough for that?

There's plenty of things to do in the area, I don't see the need to add Arches/Moab. It'll be hot but there are ways around that, hike early and save the water activities for the afternoon.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again! Every time I start to get it set in my mind more great options pop up! i am really getting excited about this trip!

I am focusing in on more of a southern Utah trip this time. We will save Arches for later as well as rafting the Grand Canyon. We have a friend who did it with his teenagers a few years ago and they loved it. It was rough but they had a blast.

I am going to look into the float trip from Page. It would make a little more sense (okay so I would be able to justify going to) Antelope Canyon if we went on a half day float trip out of Page. We could do Bryce to Page/Antelope, to NRGC to Zion.

I did look into the dune buggy's at Pink Coral Sands and they seat 4. I need to dig a little deeper to see if we could just take turns or if they would expect us to get 2, age limits etc.

the parks are starting to line up. I just keep calling!
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Hi Hang20. I think it's a good decision to keep Arches for a later trip. We were there in July a few years ago and it was so hot I found it unbearable. We were just there last week, and it is sooo much more pleasant in cooler weather.

If you can't get a dune buggy in Coral Pink Sand Dunes - my kids loved just running up and down the dunes.

We did the float trip from Page and I have to warn you - it is not a white water experience. You move VERY slowly, and I don't think my boys were all that thrilled with the experience. (I know my husband kept wondering when we were going to go faster, LOL).

In case you want to know for your next trip, only a few rental car places rent one way between LV and SLC and for an SUV it is expensive. We figured we saved an extra day of driving/hotel to loop back to LV.

You are going to such a great area of the country - have a great trip!
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Okay here is a possible new plan. Do I have too much driving? Do I have a good loop?

Day 1: Arrive Las Vegas Friday mid day, travel to Bryce stay at Bryce Canyon Lodge
Day 2: Hiking trails in Bryce
Day 3: Early horseback ride Bryce, drive to Page possibly see Horseshoe Bend or other Page attraction
Day 4: See Antelope Canyon possible float trip
stay at North Rim of Grand Canyon Lodge in Western Cabin
Day 5: Hike trails NRGC
Late afternoon head to Zion (or head to Coral Sands State Park?)
Day 6: Hike Angel's Landing or similar trail in early morning (Zion)
Tube on river or splash in Emerald Pools in afternoon
Day 7: Hike the Narrows (Zion)
Relax by pool in afternoon?
Day 8: Zion Canyoneering
Day 9: Afternoon return to Las Vegas
Day 10: Fly home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -