Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Zion & Bryce or MV and Canyon de Chelly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2012, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and kids, age 11 and 12, are going to AZ the last week in March and first week in April. We fly into Phoenix, spend a few days in Sedona, GC, and Page. I am not sure which way to go next - Zion & Bryce or MV and Canyon de Chelly. We love nature, hiking, and culture so either way looks great.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 04:18 AM

From the Grand Canyon - you can see something like Canon de Chelly - but it's not quite as far - as just east of Monument Valley - is the Navajo Monument, which has a great visitor center and also a nice trail to see the Cliff Dwellings across the valley - or you can even hike to the dwellings. http://www.nps.gov/nava/index.htm

Sedona is also beautiful and I think the Grand Canyon is a must.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 04:21 AM

Actually - the Navajo Monument is just West of Monument Valley.

For a better idea - see below - and hey - the famous Crater is also a great spot for the kids to check out, and they have a big Imax. It's an hour? or so east of Flagstaff.

http://www.amwest-travel.com/awt_northernarizona2.html

http://www.meteorcrater.com/
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 04:42 AM

Zion and Bryce are really "nature"...
Monument Valley is "nature" and some indian cultures(there are some pictogramms in MV but also in Mistery valley.(the site www.monumentvalley.com could give you some ideas, but this is not the only tour's guide.
If your kids are "western's fans" , Monument valley is a must.
Canyon de Chelley is really a gem in views, but also in indian culture...and in my opinion, MV/Chelley could be a better option...
Navajo Nat'l monument is more strenous and perhaps you should wait 2-3 more years before...going with teenagers.
Erik
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Do you think from Page I should go to Navajo Monument and Monument Valley then and skip Canon de Chelly? My other choice is to go from Page to Zion and Bryce. Also, what should I expect as far as weather.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 05:01 AM

So you have two otions :
Page, Navajo Nat'l monument and the MV(you can lodge in MV).

Page-MV and then lodge in Kayenta-1 or 2 days- and the day after Kayenta Canyon de Chelley.

For me, the 2nd option is better...
In MV, Goulding's lodge was always a dream(the sunset from there on the valley is a "delight"...
In Chelley, Thunderbird lodge is the adress.
Erik.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for helping me.
So it sounds like everyone things I should go west from page (MV and Canyon de Chelley) instead of northeast (Zion and Bryce). Is that right?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 05:56 AM

I've been to all four places.
I'd EASILY choose Bryce and Zion over MV and Canyon de Chelley. And I loved both of the latter.

One problem with both of them is that hiking is greatly restricted -- in MV it's pretty much forbidden without a tour guide. There is more native culture, of course, so you'll have to decide which one of these two experiences -- hiking or culture -- is more important to you.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I am a little worried about the limitations in MV and Chelly. However, I am also concerned it will be too cold to hike in Zion and Bryce. Do I need to worry about weather in the first week in April?
Also, do I pack swimsuits for the Phoenix area or will it still be too cold? We are staying at the Hilton Squaw Peaks at the end of our trip to give the kids some down time before school starts again. It would be great to sit by the pool!
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

I have never posted on this site before. Do I need to put my message in both AZ and UT? I don't want to clutter the site, but I thought some folks may only look at one state.
I am now going to get on line and help people coming to my area, D.C./MD. Thought I would give back since you all have been so great.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:31 AM

Whether post in AZ, UT, or any other state, the post will show up in the US forum.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:39 AM

I am follow similar route, need to cover Sedona, GC, MV and Chelly. Need to finish my trip in LV. I have a question from Sedona is it better to drive to MV, CHELLY , then GC, LV or from Sedona to GC first then MV, Chelly, LV?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

opps! just realized I wrote MV and Chelly are west of page. I had that backwards - should I go east to MV and Chelly or Northwest to Zion & Bryce?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:57 AM

Effectively, restrictions exist :
- in MV, you can drive by yourself the "road", but you can hike only with a navajo guide and there are several options.Some are described in the site I've mentioned(www.monumentvalley.com) and Goulding's organise also some excursions, but less hike, more drive. The Hunt's mesa hike worth the day since you'll see MV from high and it's really different. The Mitchell's mesa hike is also a nice option.(Tom J Philipps from Keyah Hozhoni knows a lot of those hikes and give you a lot of informations on the navajo way of life...).

- in Canyon de Chelley, there is one hike you can do by yourself, the White house hike. There are some excursions by car and you can ask to hike in the canyon.
Some guides are in the visitor center and you can organise some day's hike( we've made the Spider rock one and the mummy cave by pine trail...and they worth the efforts...).
Years before it was possible to have a whole day on horse + hike but I don't know if it is always possible.
We have done both trails by feet and by horse and perspectives are really different...
Finally, with a little organisation and a guide who would do some efforts, you can hike down from one rim, hike in the canyon and going up on the other rim...(just need two cars for the back drive...).
The choice for me would be more on the "Westezrn's culture and/or knowledge" of your sons...and your husband...
MV and Chelley are for me more mythic than Zion and Bryce, but those last two are also not to be missed...
Difficult choice...
Why not add a week to your vacation ???
Erik
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

AB18 why did you decide to go MV and Chelly instead of Zion & Bryce which are closer to LV?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice Erik. I wish I could do it all but I am already taking the kids out of school to add days on to their spring break. Last year we took them out for Japan and before that for Hawaii. I think I am going to be on the "bad parent list" if I keep this up. LOL
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 07:55 AM

The weather in April can be beautiful in Bryce and Zion. April is my favorite time of year there. It is a bit chilly in the mornings and evenings. Bryce would be colder but again a great time of year. Don't let that be the deciding factor.
I agree with the others that MV CdeCH would be more "educational" and less "active"
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 07:09 PM

The Navajo Monument does not require strenous hiking. You can take an easy trail and look directly across the valley at the Cliff Dwellings, or you can choose to take a longer hike to actually get to the Dwellings.