At a loss - what to do in NYC for a day?

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At a loss - what to do in NYC for a day?

I find myself heading to NYC this week and have one free day. I've been to NYC dozens of times(2-3x/yr) and have been to most if not all the tourist sites. I love art & architecture so I usually visit a couple of museums on my trips, mostly depending on the current exhibition.

I had a look at the NYtimes listing for galleries and museums for this week, and nothing really intrigues me.

Just FYI, I've been to Met, Neue Galerie, Frick, Cooper-Hewitt, Jewish Museum, Guggenheim, Morgan Library, Whitney, MOMA, MAD, Tenement Museum. Also have been to NY Botanical Garden, have taken many walking tours of midtown as well as downtown districts, and walking tours of Central Park. Have done guided tours of Lincoln Center, Met Opera, United Nations. Have been to High Line but not Phase II extension.

What would you suggest? Maybe a food-oriented walking tour? Or any other walking tour? Or any interesting exhibitions that I am aware of?
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:33 PM

Ellis Island? This is a perfect opportunity.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought the Dead Sea scrolls exhibit at Discovery Times Square was fascinating and the audio guide is worth getting.

If you are at a loss, yk, what are the rest of us supposed to do?
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I love the foodsofny.com walking tours. The original - Greenwich Village tour - is still my favorite.

I really enjoyed the Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour as well. The tour bus picks up in Manhattan (Union Square) and it's a delightful tour of Brooklyn with two stops for (very different) kinds of pizza. It's a 6 hour tour so it takes most of the day. It worked great for me when I had an evening flight and was trying to figure out what to do with my last day in the city on one trip. I'm very glad I took the tour. If Brooklyn is of interest, check it out.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 03:05 PM

Museum of Sex?
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 03:19 PM

My friend and I are planning a day--exhibitions and lunch at the Asia Society, then the Arts of the Islamic World tour at the Met (in the recently opened Islamic galleries).
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Based on what is not on your "have seen" list:
1. Staten Island Ferry
2. Ellis Island
3. Top of the Rock
4. Phase 2 of the High Line (but maybe, it's too cold for this one)
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM

I think you would love both of Starrs' ideas, but especially the village walking tour, unless you feel it would be too cold.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 03:55 PM

The New York Historic Society has recently reopened after a complete redesign (was closed I thik almost 2 years). And the new exhibits sound fascinating. Also, you might consider looking at the exhibit at the main brand of the New York public library.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 03:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks jubilada!

I took the tour during the first week of January when it was 7 degrees. Seven of us showed up for the tour. We spent more time inside the shops and scurried to the next shop/restaurant. It was fine.

The East Village tour has more walking. The Chelsea Market tour is mostly indoors. I've not taken that one but other Fodorites have and enjoyed it.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:05 PM

The Doug Wheeler show at David Zwirner is interesting. If you can get in without a long wait (I waited two hours on a Saturday), I recommend it.

The shows at Pace look interesting, but I haven't seen them. One is on "Happenings" while another is on the last two years of Dubuffet. If you're there, why not?

Surprised you're not seeing the Renaissance portraits at the Met? I only took a quick look at this and will have to go back. Granted, the star in Berlin, Leonardo's "Lady with an Ermine" is not here, but I think this show is still quite interesting. There's also a show on Fu Baoshi, which I plan to see. Fu is a seminal artist for his work at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing. The show was at Cleveland and I briefly considered flying there to see it.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:10 PM

NY Public Library at 42nd Street at Fifth Avenue, known as "the main branch" though its current name is the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building . . . beautiful building. Be sure to see the lovely Periodicals Room featuring paintings of famous NYC buildings and the impressive main reading room on the third floor. There's a nice current exhibit "Celebrating 100 Years" featuring more than 200 items from the library's collections

http://www.nypl.org/locations/tid/36/about
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you been to the Rubin Museum of Art in Chelsea? Indian, Himalayan, Chinese, beautiful space.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM

I lived in NYC for thirty years. Now when I visit, I always enjoy spending one day on a long walk starting at Central Park and then to Rockefeller Center, Broadway Theater District, Murray Hill, Gramercy Park, Chelsea, the Meat Packing District, Greenwich Village, SoHo, the East Village, the Lower East Side, Little Italy, Chinatown, the Brooklyn Bridge and Wall Street.

HTTY
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
J62

I made a 1 day visit to NYC in late December. You can see my itinerary towards the bottof of this thread. Similar to htty's, with Staten Island Ferry thrown in there for good measure, and a few subway rides to break up the distance.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...highlights.cfm
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 06:01 PM

I agree with the recommendations of the Asia Society, Rubin Museum, Ellis Island. We also enjoyed the International Center of (or for?) Photography.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 06:06 PM

yk, If you haven't been to the Cloisters, that is where you should go! You'll have a wonderful time. The Unicorn Tapestries alone are worth the trip, but there is so much more to see...

http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/visit-the-cloisters/
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 06:13 PM

The Lewis Chessmen are at the Cloisters right now, so that should be worth a visit.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Thanks for adding that, 111op! I'd love to see the Lewis Chessmen!
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 07:14 PM
yk
Original Poster

I appreciate all your responses! I know Fodorites will come to my rescue. Now I have many more places to go on future visits.

I was leaning towards the Foods of NY tour, since I've never taken a food tour before and am not too familiar with Greenwich Village. Alas, no tours are offered on my free day. Next time, perhaps.

I am now considering Asia Society and Metropolitan Museum. I've never been to Asia Society, so why not. And I haven't been to the new Islamic galleries at the Met. Perhaps I'll stop by Cafe Sabarsky at Neue Galerie for lunch.

I will most certainly save all your other suggestions for my next NYC visits. thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information