Your favorite Michigan lighthouses?

Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Your favorite Michigan lighthouses?

Hello to all... I'm going to be visiting Chicago and Detroit in June and will have a day or two in between to play around with. I really enjoy lighthouses, and have heard that Michigan has the most out of any other state. Would not have figured that one. Anyway, I won't be able to make it all the way to the northern peninsula due to time constraints, but wondered if people would tell me some of their favorite, or just most unusual (architecturally speaking) lighthouses on the lower western shore of the Lake? Was thinking of overnighting in Holland, MI so anything particularly close to this location would be great.

Thanks so much!

Sandi
Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM

I can't help that far south, but if your free time coincides with one of the lighthouse curises, make the drive up to Mackinaw City. There are 9 cruises in June. Depending on which tour you take, you may see up to 6 lights including Round Island Lighthouse which you may remember from the movie Somewhere in Time.

http://www.sheplersferry.com/lighthouses/map.html

Plus you can tour Old Mackinac Pointe Lighthouse right next to the Mackinac Bridge.

unusual?

Old Mackinaw Point lighthouse will remind you of a castle.

Waugashaunce Lighthouse has a rare bird cage lantern and was a bombing target in WW2.

White Shoal Light with its barber pole stripe is very distinctive.

Keith
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:14 PM

Can't help with lighthouses, but can help with a great b&b in Fennville near Saugatuck:

http://www.kingsleyhouse.com
Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:21 PM

Also, some great lighthouses in the Traverse City and Empire areas if you get that far north. Look on the map, they are in T. City and Empire.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the tips... the cruise sounds very interesting. I'm pretty sure I won't make it far enough north to reach Mackinaw this trip, but would love to visit there on another, more lengthy trip.

Anyone else care to share an opinion?

Thanks,
Sandi
Feb 24th, 2006, 06:21 AM
JJ5

We tried to do the lighthouse tour twice and never got all the way around. There's just too much fun and lingering spots on the way.

My favorite lighthouse now is the one on 94 near the sign that says "Welcome to Michigan". LOL!

Also we had a fantastic day on the beach right at the base of a lighthouse, I believe near the St.Joseph area beach. Also one near Mears on Silver Lake inlet near the Dunes.
Feb 24th, 2006, 08:04 AM

There is a lighthouse in the city of Detroit. It's at the eastern end of Belle Isle which is a city park in the Detroit River. It was designed by the noted architect Albert Kahn and is the only all-marble lighthouse in the US.

You can get a map of Belle Isle and more info at www.fobi.org While on the island you may also want to check the Dossin Museum which has a large maritime collection that includes several ship models and a gothic lounge room taken from one of the old Great Lakes passenger ships.
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to the further replies... will definitely check out the one in Detroit, and will look up the suggestions to see if they will work with my trip route.

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Sandi
Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM

About a half hour north of Holland, MI is Grand Haven, which also has a nice lighthouse with a very long pier. Both Holland & Grand Haven are fun cities to visit. Also, about an hour north of Holland is the White Lake lighthouse which offers tours inside - it's been converted to a museum. Hope that helps.

heidi
Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:07 AM
cd

Sandi
On your way from Chicago to Holland, Mi and Grand Haven, make time to stop at Michigan City, Indiana. We used to slip our boat here and it is a beautiful beach and lighthouse that you walk out to on a catwalk. You can't go into the lighthouse, but you can walk around it and sit on the rocks and watch the boats entering and leaving the marina. We sailed from here to Chicago, Grand Haven, New Buffalo, Saugatuck (which is a great little town to bum around in, Many art shops) If I were you, I would stay overnight here.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:08 AM
cd

Sandi
For clarification, It is Saugatuck I would overnight in.