petoskey, mi in june - travel tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Petoskey for CPE classes in late June. We would like to take one of the ferrys to Macinac Island and a carriage ride on the island. We would like to spend time seeing the natural beauty of the area the rest of the days (we have 4 days and he's done with his class by 1:00 each day). We are staying at the Gingerbread House B@B. My questions are: 1. Which ferry is the best? 2. How do we see the most of Macinac if we don't want to bike? 3. What other beautiful spots should we fit into the other 3 days? 4. What will the weather be like - does it get cold in the evenings and early mornings? (we are there from June 21-260. 5. What are a few cheaper places to eat? We don't like to spend money and we don't drink and shopping is pretty low on our list - hiking and being outdoors is high on our list. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 03:32 AM

Hooray! Another Michigan post means spring is just around the corner! (No one comes here in winter if they can help it. )

I'm flying out the door and will be gone all day, but I promise to get to you when I can and give you tons of cheap fun things to do and places to eat. It is a beautiful place and great time to visit the area.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:04 AM

Harbor Springs about 20 or 30 minutes north is a beautiful city with a scenic harbor (obviously). Harbor Spring has several restaurants serving fish on a plank, local specialty.

Charlevoix to the south is also a scenic lakefront city.

A bit of a drive, but if you haven't been to Sleeping Bear Dunes in Traverse City, I would make the trip.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Mackinac Island is a good hour from Petosky, especially if you don't start until the afternoon. Most Island daytrippers head over before 10. Not sure what time the last ferry is for the day, usually around 5 or 6 pm.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Harbor Springs is only 10 miles from Petoskey (20 minutes tops) and definitely worth seeing. Staffords is a big restaurant family up there, but will be more expensive. You can walk out on the pier in Harbor Springs and admire the boats.

http://staffords.com/

Charlevoix is actually to the west and a nice place to watch the sunset. They also have nice restaurants up and down the main street, many of which will be reasonably priced.

It is only about a 45 minute drive to Mackinaw City to catch the ferry. Any of the three ferry companies are great. (Star, Arnold, Sheplers) Check their on-line schedules to see which fits your times best. Sometimes they change their schedules, so you might want to call. Ferries in the summer run until 11 pm, at least on the weekends. Again, check the schedules on-line, but it really doesn't matter which one you take.

http://www.sheplersferry.com/
http://www.arnoldline.com/
http://www.mackinacferry.com/

For the most economical way to see the island, take the carriage tour.

http://www.mict.com/

You will want to see the fort and other attractions. On the boat on the way to Mackinac Island you can buy a guide for $1. Definitely get that.

Food can be a bit pricey on the island, but it doesn't have to be. Check up and down Main Street and the restaurants will have their menus in the windows. You can find lots of variety.

I think on Wednesdays, but you would need to double check, you can tour the Governor's mansion on the island. Our governor spends most weekends there in the summer. I saw her reading on the porch once with a giant attack dog at her feet.

Petoskey State Park is a great place for natural beauty. You can climb the sand dunes and look for Petoskey stones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petoskey_stone

Across from the entrance to the state park is Scalawag's Fish. They have THE BEST fish and chips. There is another one in Mackinaw City. We usually get take out and go have a picnic inside the state park.

http://www.scalawagswhitefish.com

Sleeping Bear Dunes is actually just south of Empire. It is a two hour drive from Petoskey and does take you through Traverse City. It is an amazing site.

There might be some tall ships in port somewhere at that time.

Definitely bring a sweater or jacket and a pair of jeans for the evening. It can get a bit chilly. It is rarely blistering hot because of all the breeze from the water.

You will love it up there!

If I think of more, I will let you know.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM

If you want to experience the Mackinac Bridge, It will cost you $6 I think, but it is fun to drive across. There is a very nice little park called Bridge View park on the St. Ignace side. I know you can get to it coming south before you go back across the bridge. There are signs. It is a great little turn off that offers a wonderful picture spot of the bridge.

There is a nice restaurant that isn't pricey in St. Ignace on the water. Just take the St. Ignace exit and head east. It isn't far.

http://www.mackinacgrille.com/

You can catch the ferry from St. Ignace if you want.

The ferries have a AAA discount. It isn't much, but it does save you a few $.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 07:44 AM

For biking or hiking you can actually take the bike path along Little Traverse Bay from Charlevoix through Petoskey to Harbor Springs (or portions thereof). Really picturesque.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM

It has been a week and no original poster. I hate it when they don't come back.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Oh gosh kelliebellie, I hope they at least came back and read all your wonderful suggestions. I live in Michigan and your posts made me want to go up north and do all those things..again.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM

I hope the OP comes back, too, kelliebellie and cgenster. I never in my life thought of taking a vacation to Michigan until about 5 years ago, but we did (DH needed to fish!) and it is breathtakingly beautiful in this area.

OP, if you do check in, drive up to the Soo Locks for an amazing sight.

We stay at Boyne Falls and love love love it! Every day we just get out and drive. Gorgeous!
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Last June I traveled all over MI for our website, smalltowngems.com. This trip was much more than I expected. If you want some photographs of the towns mentioned above to help you plan, jump onto our site. Charlevoix, Harbor Springs, Mackinac and many other towns are simply beautifulin June.

Enjoy your trip,
smalltowngems.com
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM

smalltowntraveler,

I really enjoyed your photos of the small towns in Michigan!! thanks!

kelliebellie, If you check back here, don't worry. I and lots of other people are reading your recommendations! Thanks!
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 08:24 PM

Oh good. It disillusions me when people ask questions and don't ever come back for their answers!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM

kelliebellie - great tips! Thank you. Could've used your tips for our Mackinac Island trip last July but definitely will do it again this year. Some of my thoughts for the OP:

1. I didn't see any real big difference with the ferry ride operators. We used Sheplers as it was closest to where we were staying in St. Ignace. I had read that St. Ignace was less crowded than Mackinaw City (confirmed from the no. of passengers going back to the mainland).

2. A cheap place to eat on the island is at Cannonball. I got hooked on the fried pickles. Cannonball is located in the British Landing area, towards the northwestern part of the island. It wasn't that far for us but we did take bikes. Don't know how long it would take if you just walked west on M-185.

3. I second Scalawags!

Don't mean to hijack this thread but what do you guys think about Moomers in Traverse City? A friend from K'zoo told us they had the best ice cream in the country. Is it worth the stop on the way to Mackinac?
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 03:08 AM

Bkk95 - Moomers is some pretty good ice cream. It's often very crowded. I don't know that I would drive out of my way or delay a trip just for Moomers...but if it's on your way and you're not in a hurry, it's a cute little ice cream shop.

Kelliebellie - I am from the Detroit area and have relatives in Traverse City but a lot of times when we head North we don't do much other than visit the relatives. This summer we are for sure heading to the island. Thanks for the great and informative posting!!
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 04:42 AM

bkk95 - I don't know your route, but I doubt Traverse City is on the way to Mackinac from anywhere. Traverse City and Old Mission Peninsula are such great destinations, you should spend some time just doing that.

tdmort - Thanks! It is nice to know that someone is reading my post and getting inspired by it. I got married on Mackinac Island ten years ago this May. We get back up there at least once a year. The kids love it there.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM

I'm bringing 5 girlfriends with me for a week on the lake at the end of June/early July near Cross Village to celebrate my 50th birthday. I grew up near Cadillac, so I know a little about the area, but I'm wondering if anyone has good ideas for a bunch of middle aged ladies. None of them have ever been to MI.
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

O My gosh!!! I am so sorry. My daughter is anorexic and I got all caught up in her care - pretty scary stuff - and forgot I even posted here. Please accept my heartfelt apologies for dropping this. Your information is wonderful and I wish I could find a way to contact you and tell you because you will probably never read my apologies. I can't believe the information you left - I've been reading fodors for a long time and this is by far the best info anyone has left for my requests. I really didn't think I'd get any response. I just wish I knew how to let you know how wonderful you are. Thanks!!!
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Hooray! You are back! I am so sorry about your daughter. I hope things are okay. I hope you are still planning on going up north. We are spending the week up there after Fourth of July and I'm really looking forward to it!
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM

Eileyann, I hope your daughter starts to get a lot better. What a scary time for you and your family. My thoughts are with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -