Your advice for Maryland Trip, please

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your advice for Maryland Trip, please

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip with my 2 daughters (17 and 13) to Maryland over the Christmas break. I am thinking about a day trip to DC and to VA. Could you reccomend:
1. A central place and hotel to stay in in MD
2. Activities for a 17 and 13 year old. I should mention that my 13 year old is developmentally disabled and her interests are mostly shopping and strolling. My 17 year old is up for just about anything. Thank you for your help!!!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 04:02 AM

The Renaissance Harborplace hotel in Baltimore sounds like it would be perfect for you. The hotel is directly above a shopping mall. It's across the street (via an elevated walkway) to Baltimore's very walkable Inner Harbor, where you'll find the National Aquarium and the Maryland Science Center, as well as more shopping and restaurants.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...orplace-hotel/
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Greetings sailing - I second the Baltimore option, not too terribly far from the outer reaches of the DC metro and there are as Devonmcj suggests lots of options for stuff to do. I had a girls' weekend down there not too long ago and would highly recommend the Aquarium and also the American Visionary Art Musuem, a very cool museum full of "outsider" art. I'll top the post for you. Best of luck!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I am checking out the Baltimore suggestions now!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Staying in either D.C. or Baltimore is good. You can easily use the MARC Train to get between the two and it is a fun ride. It will go into Union station which is great fun in itself.
Also in D.C. We love the the National Geographic Center, they have all kinds of activities, concerts and movies, check out the web site. If you will have a car the Air and Space located near Dulles is worth the drive.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Sallygirl42

If you have time a day trip to Annapolis is fun. There is a little downtown square with shops and restaurants.

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Here's a somewhat different recommendation that might suit you: Frederick, Maryland is an interesting small city. It is about an hour from downtown DC by train, and is much smaller, more low-key, and cheaper than Baltimore. There is a very nice historic/artsy central area that is easily strolled through that your kids would likely enjoy -- there are murals, a canal park with great bridges (and pedal boats for rent), interesting independent shops, restaurants, tearooms, and a couple of museums. They have a "First Friday" event in the old town area each month, with a different theme. Have a look here: http://www.fredericktourism.org/Index.aspx
You could definitely spend a whole day or more just enjoying Frederick, and it would be a relaxing place to return to for dinner each night too (unless you are specifically interested in a big-city experience).

Hotels in Frederick are largely of the Holiday Inn/Days Inn variety, though you may find some B&Bs too. You can take the MARC train from Frederick to DC to see the Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo; the National Cathedral down in DC is interesting for all ages. You might check what's playing at Strathmore Arts Center in Rockville (midway between Frederick and DC) during your trip. As for additional shopping, if you will have a car, Tyson's Corner (Virginia, outside DC) is a huge mall (two, actually), or you could take the subway from DC to Pentagon City Mall.

If you are interested in semi-rural areas (the link above includes info on nearby attractions), Frederick is a great jumping-off point for southern Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and northern Virginia, too.

Have fun!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:43 AM

I would stay just outside of DC. Convienent to other places, but within reach of the DC Metro. You DO NOT want to drive in DC. I think DC offers the best activites. It is great to walk along the mall. There are many free museums for the kids and lots of monuments. If you want to see cool animals, go to the free National Zoo. You can get everywhere in DC within 15 minutes on Metro. It is safe and very user friendly. The National Aquarium in Baltimore is awesome, but for animals in general, I like the National Zoo better. IMO, the best thing to see in Baltimore is Fort Mchenry where the Star Spangled Banner was written. The Air and Space Museum out by Dulles is awesome. It may or may not interest the kids, but it is free except for the parking fee and is incredible.