Young Adults to South Beach, FL

Feb 16th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Young Adults to South Beach, FL

21 yo daughter and 3 girlfriends want to travel for spring break. They're not looking for a wild nightlife but they'd like the idea of young people being around --- they're really just looking for someplace WARM to relax and gear up for the remainder of the semester.

They're thinking South Beach/Miami (they're on the east coast and don't really have a need to leave the country). Is that a good idea? They really just want to relax by the pool/ocean and go out for a nice dinner, maybe a club or two, some shopping, etc. (Spring break is mid-march, so they have to go pretty far south for the sun)

Can anyone recommend a hotel? (They'll split the hotel 4 ways, and they're only thinking maybe 3/4 nights.) Restaurants? Anything else?

Grateful for any and all recommendations.
Feb 17th, 2014, 03:06 AM

South beach fills their criteria for warmth and a great beach, though it is a 20 something and 30 something area rather than a place with lots of college students.

Any of the Deco District hotels would be fine BUT they may be reluctant to rent to people this young and they may not allow four in a room. And no (referring to another Fodor's thread), you can't just sneak in another two people into a hotel room.
Feb 17th, 2014, 10:22 AM

I think South Beach fits the bill. We stayed at this place:
www.thefritzhotel.com

It isn't super fancy but the location is great and it has the advantage of having a kitchen which is nice to heat up leftovers, make coffee, etc. to save on expenses. And if I remember right they have 2 bedroom suites.
Feb 17th, 2014, 02:17 PM

The Clevelander South Beach was always spring break HQ and is in the best location for your girls... big party pool and they advertise to under 25's... have a look at their website

www.clevelander.com
Feb 17th, 2014, 07:35 PM

Okay, let me makes sure I understand the situation.

Three young ladies want to go South Beach during spring break, but do not want to party. Am I understanding this accurately?

Hmmmm...yeah, that's a complete oxymoron.

Look, if you want to be in South Florida during spring break, yet not party, then head a bit north to Sunny Isles. It has a Trump and a few other nice hotels, and the crowd is mid-30's and older.
Feb 17th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

They aren't really interested in partying --- maybe south beach isn't the location, but they don't want to be with 30 year olds. They're all 21, but engineering students and frankly, they're exhausted. (Which is why I'm doing some of the research) They'd like to have young people around, relax by a pool, go out for dinner, do some shopping, and maybe get in some night life.

We're in the mid-atlantic area, so not super familiar with FL beyond Disney and a great trip to the keys. I'm pretty sure they won't want to rent a car (and am not sure they'll be able to).

They liked the Clevelander --- so maybe that's the route?

Thanks for all of the input.
Feb 18th, 2014, 06:29 AM

also have a look at the Surfcomber South Beach... its a bit quieter but amazing pool and right on the beach...

www.surfcomber.com
Feb 18th, 2014, 07:08 AM

Partying is a choice. I am too old to distinguish it from " clubbing" but I think the distinction is there.

These girls have the option of staying near where the other young adults are (though many of them still call themselves "kids") and doing all the things you include without partying in so far as that involves getting drunk, passing out, posting unsuitable pictures, etc. you have a lot of faith in them, and I trust they will live up to that. But they might be happier at a hotel slightly off the strip if they want to sleep for part of the time.
Feb 19th, 2014, 01:52 PM

I think the nicer hotels will monitor the partying crowd situation...they cater to families as well.

It depends on the budget for a recommendation. If they want to relax at the pool - don't have them stay at the Clevelander. I think the smaller hotels on Ocean Drive would not be for them - the pools are tiny and packed. Maybe the Loews would work.

A new hotel opened in Surfside which is beautiful.
The Grand Beach Hotel. They can walk to Bal Harbor and Surfside shops and restaurants.
Feb 19th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

That sounds good. I don't think they'd like to rent a car (and don't know if they'd be able) Walking to shops and restaurants sounds perfect.
Feb 19th, 2014, 08:14 PM

Mayhem- it's not South Beach, though. Its quieter, no nightclubs. They could take a cab or bus to South Beach if they wanted to check it out.
Feb 20th, 2014, 05:32 AM

They're 21... they can handle it... Surfcomber or Clevelander are steps away from everything... no car needed