Yosemite to Cambria help

Mar 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Yosemite to Cambria help

I am looking for a recommended route from southeastern Yosemite to the coast. We would like to tour Hearst Castle then head north. We will be at the Yosemite Lodge June 4th and 5th. We would like to south of Yosemite to stay one night(June 6) but I need suggestions! Where to stay/what to do that would be fun w/an 18 and 11 year old...
Then we will head towards the coast. I have no idea the best way to get there! We would like to stay one night (June 7) perhaps in Cambria and tour Hearst Castle on June 8th. Head toBig Sur & spend the night of 6/8? Perhgaps Monterey 6/9. We need to be in San Fran on the 10th and will be there 3 nights. Thanks!
Mar 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM

You really don't have to stop/stay anywhere between Yosemite and the mid-coast. It is less than a 1/2 day's drive and there is almost no reason to stop (except for a meal) in between.
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM

janisj is so right. Nothing worth stopping for between Yosemite and Hearst Castle. The directions are simple--you will want to take CA 41 out the south entrance of Yosemite and follow it nearly all of your trip, until you hit US 101 near Paso Robles from which it is a short drive on CA 46 to the coast and the Castle.

Stay another day in Yosemite Lodge if you can, if not stay near the southern entrance where there are a number of lodgings and go back a short distance into the Park to see Mariposa Grove and Glacier Point if they are open (they are closed sometimes even past that date by snow)and you have not seen them already. They are musts if open but both a good drive south of the Valley, where the Lodge is. The Grove in particular is right near the south entrance.

Or move the Castle (which is worth it)up a day and spend another day in Big Sur, Point Lobos and Carmel, especially Carmel Beach for the kids. Unless there is strong interest in the Aquarium (it's a great Aquarium but there are other excellent ones other places which are right next to one of the world's most spectacular coasts) I think you will find Monterey itself a disappointment and I would short it time if anywhere.
Mar 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Good advice so far. I would also recommend not missing Santa Cruz. You can spend several hours there on your way from Monterey to SF - check out the beach, the Boardwalk, the small surf museum at Steamers Lane and if the surf is good, see some world-class surfing there, maybe go downtown and check out the Pacific Garden Mall.