Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle Hotel & Spirit of Washington Dinner Train

Mar 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

We are planning a 3-day trip to Seattle with a view to riding the Spirit of Washington lunch train from Renton to Woodinville & back. We would take the Victoria Clipper ship to Seattle & taxi to Renton.
1. Is Seattle to Renton an outrageous cab fare?
2. Does anyone have any recent comments about the train tour?
3. We stayed at the Vance downtown last time we were down - fairly reasonable (remember our poor Canadian dollar) but I see it doesn't exist anymore. Any comparable suggestions?
Mar 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Oh and any suggestions on great restaurants (but not dressy ones)?
Mar 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM

The Vance is now Hotel Max. If you like the smaller hotels, you might also look at the Mayflower, the Inn at the Market, and Hotel Andra (which houses one of Tom Douglas' restaurants, Lola).

AS for great restaurants, what kind of food do you like? Seafood, Northwest, Italian, Asian, fusion? You can go almost anywhere in Seattle in casual dress, so that is not an issue.
Mar 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Food likes: seafood, italian, Northwest.
Mar 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM

I'll take a guess... that Seattle to Renton would be in the range of $30-40 taxi fare.

I'm judging how much it is to get to the airport, and Renton is similar distance south but on the opposite side of the I-5 freeway.
Mar 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM

My favorite is the Mayflower Park Hotel.

As mentioned above Vance got a remodel and is now Hotel Max.

The Roosevelt is another similar to the old Vance that might suit you.
Mar 19th, 2007, 05:25 PM

If cost is of concern, you could take the Metro express bus (174) from downtown to the airport. It would then be easy to get a cab at Seatac for the short trip to Renton.
Mar 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Great idea Azzure. When it's a return trip $40 x 2 would go pretty nicely toward a nice dinner!

I've checked out the hotels online Suze. Great suggestions - thanks.
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Happy to help. The Mayflower Park is the oldest continually opened hotel in Seattle according to them. Their lobby and Olivers Bar are Seattle classics. It's right in the center of downtown. I know less about the Roosevelt or Hotel Max since the remodel, but these 3 all seem like they would be great choices imo.
Mar 20th, 2007, 08:29 AM

You don't say when you are coming. You should be aware that the dinner train will be going out of business later this summer....August 31? Not sure. The tracks are going to be torn up for reasons having nothing to do with the train itself. They are considering moving their southern terminus from Renton to Bellevue.
Mar 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM

With reference to the dinner train, I just found a newspaper article that said the service will end some time in July. Called the number in the yellow pages and got an intercept ("Your call cannot be completed as dialed.")
Mar 20th, 2007, 09:30 AM

The cab ride between Seattle and Renton would be costly. The following link is for public transit options: http://transit.metrokc.gov/
Mar 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM

For seafood check the web sites for Bell Street Diner, McCormick & Schmick, and Cutter's Bay House.

For Italian, Il Fornaio is a good choice, but mention of it usually brings complaints that is it a (dirty word) "part of a chain."

Oops, all the restaurants I name are from one kind of a chain or other.