Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a one-week trip to see Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon national parks. We have sons that will be 5 and 6 ,and we want to do lots of easy day hikes. Any comments on the following places to stay?
Cedar Grove Lodge (2 nights)
Wuksachi Lodge (2 nights)
Yosemite Lodge (3 nights)
Also, any thoughts on John Muir Lodge compared to Cedar Grove Lodge?
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:25 AM

For a short trip, esp. with young kids, I would stay at Yosemite the whole week.

You can see big trees in Yosemite at the Mariposa grove, there are numerous trails, plus easy biking, rafting, etc.

We stayed for 6 nights and felt we could easily have stayed longer, it's THAT wonderful!
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 09:10 AM

I agree that the whole time could easily be spent in Yosemite - we were there for 2 nights on our first trip and 3 on our second. We decided that wasn't enough and will be staying in Yosemite for 4 nights this year. It's a great place and we haven't even begun to scratch the surface.

The parks are close enough to each other that I think it is totally doable to see all 3 in a week. It's just a matter of preference.

I haven't stayed in the Yosemite Lodge, but I have heard from people who have that it is clean, basic lodging and the location is good as far as access to the shuttle, food, and the ranger stations.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 10:26 AM

Hi! You may want to check out the Montecito-Sequoia Resort at www.montecitosequoia.com Your kids will love this place and it is very family-oriented. Three wonderful buffet meals are included with your stay and a 24/hr. hospitality bar. There is ice skating, sledding hills, etc. and lots of planned activites for your young children. My kids loved this place when they were younger.

We had a home right outside of the Sequoia Park and would go here frequently for summer and winter day trips. The whole staff at this place is very accomodating to families and the lobby is great with a huge fireplace and comy leather sofas to curl up on while you sip your hot chocolate!!! Check it out and have a great trip!! ***kim***
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:14 AM

My boys (18, 16, 12) and I were in these 3 NPs last summer, and it was wonderful. We stayed in a house in Yosemite West since we couldn't get into Yosemite Lodge. Wish now I had tried harder. I would definitely recommend Lodge if you can get in since you are right in the valley. We would drive back and forth - 20-30 minutes - which isn't bad, but right in the action is best. If you can't get into Lodge, Yosemite West is next closest area to the valley. Highly recommend short hikes, tubing on the river, tram tour in valley and Mariposa Grove, Crystal Caves. We spent 1 day in Touleomme Valley - short hikes, climbing on granite outcropping, having lunch - which was wonderful and wanted to go horseback riding but full. Ranger tours great in all areas - watched program about FireFall in campground at Yosemite after eating pizza there. Always ate breakfast at Lodge - very good. One night great dinner at restaurant there but pricey. Dinner and program "Under the Stars" - recommend - at hotel (can't remember name) between Mariposa Grove and valley. (However, don't stay there if want to spend several days in valley since almost 1 hr each way.) Yosemite crowded, but expected it, and LOVED it anyway. Spent about 5 nights there.

Spent 3 night at Waksacki Lodge in Sequoia and highly recommend it. I upgraded to mt. view suite, beautiful, roomy for big boys to spread out. Woke up 1 morning to HERD of deer outside window w/ bucks, does, and babies. People filming, walking to breakfast, didn't faze them. Breakfast at lodge great buffet. Dinner good too, but pricey, but I expect it on vacation. Spent probably 1 1/2 days in different parts of Sequoia and LOVED it. Some like it more than Yosemite. Much less crowded, more out of the way, much cooler than Yosemite valley, more like being in mts which you are. Made reservations this time and went on 2 hr trail ride which my 12 yo thought best part of trip.

Daytrip to Kings Canyon, and it was AWESOME! Much wilder than either of the other parks. Just watching the water scared me! Took hike through meadow, rock outcroppings, by water.
Left Kings Canyon heading to spend night in Fresno since flying out early AM.

I'm glad we went to all 3 NPs. I had never heard of Kings Canyon before I started planning trip. Each park has its own personality. Make sure you plan your trip. I usually do, but didn't this time, and wasted time 1st few days going to Visitor's Center several times to watch movie. Bought tickets early AM - for tram rides, some programs, Crystal Caves, w/o problems. Reserve horseback riding early.

ENJOY, w/ your boys! Have a great time. We did!

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:51 AM

The Crystal Caves are really cool! Did you get a chance to go to Stoney Creek? My daughter caught her first trout there when she was about five years old! This area doesn't get as much attention as Yosemite but it sure is unique in it's own way.

In Miramonte, right outside the park there is a place called The Apple Place that sells the most delicious apples I have ever had! And very good cider. I sent a picture in to our local paper of my daughter in front of the stand and the printed it, half page on a special publication that came out a few years ago. Beautiful area!! ***kim***