Reload this Page >

Yosemite Questions About Tours and Activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Jon

I was lucky to get reservations just today for two rooms at the Lodge in September. A little pricey for me but thought staying in the Valley was worth the extra money. For those who have done the Glacier Point Tour, do I need to pay the $15 to $30 tour fee (depending on one-was or round trip) to hike Glacier Point? Is this just an option for narration and do I have the option of taking a free shuttle to that point and hiking down? With a family of six, these side trips could be costly. Are the other fee based side activities worth the cost? I don't want to miss out by not participarting in fee based activities but can these things be done on our own? Also, for those who have stayed in the Lodge rooms (supposedly larger than an average hotel room), would it seem feasable to bring in our own snacks, small meals and a cooler full of beverages? Trying to save a bit by not having to eat all of our meals out. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I thank you in advance for your input. We are going the first week of September...Wednesdday through Saturday. We are not avid hikers but are in decent shape.

Old May 10th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Susan

We stayed at the Yosemite Lodge last September, the rooms are big for motel rooms. I would bring food & a cooler, but be aware that you will need to follow the parks rules about keeping food away from the bears. Dining in the park can become very expensive. As for the paid activities, if you have a car, I really don't think you need to pay for the tours. The free shuttles are nice to get around & you can drive to Glacier Point & then do some hiking from there.
Once you get going on the hiking, you'll love it!

Old May 11th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Jon

Thank you Susan. Do you think we will all need to go out and buy hiking boots/shoes or will our good old tennies do? Yes, we will have a car so thanks on the driving tips. I see they have some free photography hikes and a $5.00 per person night time "under the stars" tours. Did you experience any of these? Also, I will need to spring for an outing of horseback riding for at least two of the teens. As for food, I'm feeding four healthy teens so bringing a cooler with beverages and snacks will be a real plus. And yes, I did read about the bears. What kind of weather did you experience last September? The charts show very little rainfall at that time of the year. If you have any other suggestions or would like to share some experiences, I'd like to hear them. Thanks for your response.

Old May 12th, 2002, 07:20 AM
tina

Hi Jon,
I went last October and had some very nice weather. There was not a lot of snow that year and we experienced no rain at all, which also meant that the waterfalls in the park were really dry. A little disappointing but the scenery was still beautiful.
Try to go on the photography hike. It was a really good experience and we learned a lot. Try to go on as many ranger walks and talks as you can, esp. if you are on a tight budget. I've always found them to be a great, "cheap" source of entertainment in the National Parks.
I have a Yosemite trip page as well, if you want more ideas:
http://www.mindspring.com/~quimbymoy/yosemite.html
tina

Old May 12th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Jon

Thank you Tina. I enjoyed your website. What a motivation to get me back to the gym and to get in shape for my trip. Can't let those teens forge ahead of me!

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Suzie

Jon,

I've gone to Yosemite many times in Sept. It's always been quite warm. I hope the weather is as good for you. September is a great month to visit northern CA.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:11 AM
travellyn

Tennis shoes should do just fine for most developed trails in Yosemite. Hiking boots are good if you're walking over broken rocks or have a long way to go.

My husband and I took a nighttime ranger walk in which we didn't take flashlights. We were walking over a fairly flat surface, and didn't "tour" per se. It was a nice activity; it would have been really good for older children. I remember it as being nice, but not spectacular.

Old May 24th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Elaine

Jon -- We are also going in September and have rented a private cabin near Yosemite West. You may want to search for cabin rentals, as they have kitchens which would make family travel easier. I've been told that area is about 30 minutes from the Valley entrance.

I'll watch your postings to look for other advice. Hope you have a good trip.