Backpacking Yosemite

Old May 4th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Denair

Backpacking Yosemite

Hope can help us. We want to backpack in Sierra Mountains. We have route from the Devil Postpile to Yosemite. Has someone done this route? Is it safe? How long to do? Thank you

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:25 PM
ttt

to the top

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Jammie

If you don't get an answer on this forum, try this website. yosemite.national-park.com. There are a lot of helpful people who have hiked and backpacked all over Yosemite. They should be able to answer your question. Go to the section labeled "Chat".

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Suzie

As someone who visits Mammoth each year I believe the scenery from Devil's Postpile to Yosemite will be some of the best around. Just the drive down the hill from Mammoth to the Postpile is awesome. Before you go if you haven't already, check out the view from the top of the Gondola ride. It's like you can see forever. I wonder if it's really clear how far you could actually see. Good luck on you trip. I know this isn't really a backpacking site but for one would love to see your trip report.

I'm sure you'll have to protect your food from bears while hiking that area. The wilderness permits are regulated in some areas and there are quotas on them. Have you checked into that. When I worked for the Inyo Natinal Forest about "100" years ago some hikers had to wait for space to become available.

Here's the forest service web site http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/inyo/vvc/mammoth/

Old May 16th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Tony

Did this hike several years ago. Absolutely outstanding. We did it leisurely in about a week. Each night we camped at a different mountain lake. Bring fishing poles as nothing like fresh trout to add to dining pleasure, particularly when eating standard backpacking fare. The trail itself is not difficult. The only real steep part is when you climb over Donahue Pass (about 11,000 feet). You then descend into Tuolumne Meadows (about 8,600 feet) and from there hike on into the Yosemite Valley. You have to watch out for bears raiding your food supplies when you head into the Yosemite Valley, but you can buy bear proof containers or hang your food high up in a tree. The whole area you will be hiking through is absolutely one of the most beautiful places in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The only people who get to see it are backpackers and people on horseback. You will really enjoy the trip if you do it.