Search

Yosemite or Coast

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 05:40 PM
Loving

Yosemite or Coast

Got 6 days, starting two in San Fran. Where from there. Is is realistic to go to Yosemite for a night then to the coast for three? Or two each or whatever. Realistic driving time etc.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 07:01 PM
howard

While a day in Yosemite is better than
done, you really should spend more time there. One day is a tease. Why not spend the remaining part of your trip after San Francisco in Yosemite? It's a spectacular destination. Drive time is about 4-4 1/2 hours from SF to Yosemite.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 07:45 PM
Anna

I would do two nights in Yosemite, one night would be too rushed. There are too many things to fit into one day. The Mariposa Grove of Redwoods is about an hour drive from the Valley, you need to hike at least part of the way up to Vernal Falls, and go to the look out at Glacier Point. If possible try to stay in the valley, we stayed at Yosemite Lodge which worked out nice. Try to go to the Awahnee Hotel for breakfast one day. The park is one of the most beautiful national parks I have been too.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 07:46 PM
Paul Rabe

What time of the year will you be traveling? If in the winter, travel in the Sierras will be iffy at best. Yosemite is beautiful in winter, and I definitely hope to go there someday to see it in snowfall. But I wouldn't want to be there with a meter of snow blowing across all highways!

Also, as much as I love Yosemite, I also love the California Coast. Would suggest two days of each, with plans to return to both for more time. After you see both, you'll agree you need more!

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 08:25 PM
Loving

Will be going this Nov. 8

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 10:51 AM
lisa

With the amount of days you have I would take the drive down the coast, Santa Cruz-see Big sur, Pacific Grove-17 mile drive, Carmel, Monterey Cannery Row-the aquarium, the wine country along the coast etc.. etc.. there is a lot in that direction.. Although Yosemite is beautiful you will fit in more variety of site seeing if you do the coastline?
and the drive will flow with the sight seeing, instead of driving out of your way for Yosemite. Just a suggestion.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 01:52 PM
howard

I'll offer an opinion that differs from Lisa. As appealing as the variety of sites along the California coast are (and they are appealing), I don't think anything can compare with the beauty and majesty of Yosemite!

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 07:34 AM
rob

i agree with lisa.....don't shortchange SF or the coast line (big sur). we had a hell of a time getting to yosemite with freeway traffic and then the twisting mountain roads. DO heed the weather reports for driving conditions in yosemite!!! some roads might be closed in winter or may require snow tires/chains. anyway, if you have LOTS of energy and might never get back to calif.....then try to do everything. in my opinion, 2 full days in yosemite sounds right.....if you want to hike a few trails. if not, maybe 1 day driving around the valley would suffice.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 07:51 AM
howard

Not to belabor a point, but if you can only spend a day or day at Yosemite, I say spend the time on the coast and save Yosemite for another trip when you can spend more time there. One day at Yosemite? That's nothing but a tease!

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Polly

My husband and I did a 10 day circle tour of California starting in LA...then up the coast as far as Napa...then back down the central valley and to Yosemite and Sequoia...and back to LA. Far and away, the most spectacular sight we saw was the view of Yosemite Valley from Glacier Point. I would tell EVERYONE not to miss that if you go to CA. If you are not hikers (or if you just have time to hit the high points...no pun intended) you can enjoy Yosemite in one day, as we did. Enter the park early in the AM; take the tram tour; drive to the lodge and back to some of your favorite spots from the tour; then up to Glacier Point; and exit the park via Mariposa Grove. Fully do-able in one day! And not to be missed!

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 07:56 PM
Anna

For me Yosemite was much more impressive than the California coastline. We visited midweek in October and found it not to be that crowded.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 10:52 PM
Jo

I think you get the idea that Yosemite is a beautiful NP. I am from australia and spent three days there on a trek through America and already planning another back. A good trek is up to vernal and Nevada Falls going through the mist Trail on the way down. Or if you are fit enough half Dome is also awesome!!!