Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yosemite in September... accomodation and things to do.

Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there Fodorites

We are planning on visiting Yosemite in September this year... but due to a fairly flexible travel itinerary we are unsure of exactly when we will arrive. I'm a bit concerned about accomodation. Can you suggest anywhere near Yosemite we can stay if staying in the park is not an option? I realise September is a busy time at the park.

If we can stay 3 days in the park, what would be your 'must do' recommendations? We are interested in photography, We are also wondering hiring bikes in the valley is a good idea. If anyone has done one of the photography walks, I would love to know if it is a worthwhile tour to do. Any other Yosemite tips would be appreciated... it looks like such a beautiful place.

Thanks in anticipation

Cathy
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

As an added thought... would staying in El Portal be a good base?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM

I prefer Fish Camp to El Portal. Or, if you're coming in from the Bay Area of Highway 120 consider Groveland.
I took one of the photo walks several years ago and thought I could have done better on my own. Depends on how proficient you are in photos. For relative newcomers the tour offered some good tips and ideas on where to find special photo opportunities in Yosemite.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 12:00 PM

I think El Portal is a good base - it is fairly close to Yosemite Valley, so it is a convinient location. That would probably be my choice.

Fish Camp is just outside the south end of the park, which is close to Mariposa Grove and Wawona - farther from Yosemite Valley than El Portal though, and for the high country, you'll have to drive into Yosemite Valley.

Renting bikes in the valley is an excellent thing to do - there are miles of paved paths and things are pretty flat, so the riding is easy.

My husband is into photography and he has gotten most of his best valley shots while wandering along the Merced River. Shots with the river and trees in the foreground and something big and magnificent in the background like Half Dome or Yosemite Falls and that kind of thing. Also great shots around the meadows in the valley.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM

You really should look at a map - "near Yosemite" has a lot of options both south and north of the valley.