Yosemite - Grand Tour worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Laura

Hi all,

I am going to Yosemite in just over two weeks. I have been looking at the different tours and am wondering if it is worth doing the Grand Tour or whether it is just as good reading the guidebook and wandering around by yourself? Any insights into any of the other tours would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Laura

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:34 AM
yosemite sam

Don't know what the Grand Tour is but Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Anyway you see it will be worth it. If you have the time take the bus to Glacier Point and hike down to the valley floor on the Panorama Trail. ENJOY.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Polly

I'm not sure what the Grand Tour is either, but I will say that we really enjoyed the 'tram' tour operated by the park service. It takes you to the major view points in the valley providing historical/environmental information along the way. There are numerous stops. We used this as a way to determine places where we would like to spend additional time. And, for sure, do go to Glacier Point! Spectacular! But the tram we took does not go there.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Howard

If you have a car, then definitely go beyond the valley...to the points mentioned, as well as Tuolomne Meadow and beyond to Mono Lake. If you only see the valley, then you really haven't experienced Yosemite!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Tony

Like others, I am not sure what you mean by the Grand Tour unless it is something offered by one of the tour bus companies. Yosemite National Park has a great web site that provides a lot of information about the park. The tram tour is well worth taking for a first time visitor. There is also a free shuttle bus service available.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Laura

Thanks for all the replies - the Grand tour is an all day tour run by the park. It costs $50 for the day and it seems to take in the major sights, but I am not sure whether I would be better saving my $50 for something else.

Is the hike down from Glacier point difficult. I'm not totally unfit, but haven't done much hiking either.

Thanks again,

Laura

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 04:49 AM
yosemitesam

It's been awhile, but as I recall there are several hikes down to the valley floor that originate at Glacier Point, Panorama Trail, Pohono Trail and Glacier Point Trail. Keep in mind that if you start the hike at Glacier Point, all the hikes will be downhill. There will be sections that track back uphill, but ultimately the valley is down so you will be heading downhill. Just take your time. My favorite hike is Panorama. It crosses over three waterfalls, Illoyette (sp) Falls, Nevada Falls and Vernal Falls. The entire hike was about 5-6 hours, however that included stopping at the top of Nevada Falls to eat lunch (sandwiches which you will have to pack with you) and innumerable stops to marvel at the scenary. Like yourself, I am not unfit, however I am not an avid hiker and could certainly be in better shape. To be honest, my legs were sore the next day, but a good sore if you know what I mean. If you do go, keep in mind to go down the Mist trail at Vernal Falls. Once you get close to Veranl Falls, there are two routes, take the Mist Trail route. It follows down the side of the falls. One tip, pack a big hefty trash bag. This will serve as a makeshift raincoat as you travel through the mist. However if it is a warm day you might just luxuriate in the cooling mist. One more thing, this time of year (late September) the level of water in the falls will be low. The most specatular time to see Yosemite is actually before Memorial Day, fewer crowds and the snow melt has the falls roaring. By now, the snow pack is gone so the volume is much less. But Yosemite is beautiful anytime. Finally, a cold pitcher of beer and a pizza at the Curry Village outdoor patio is a great way to end the end the day after a full hike. Hope you are staying in the park.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Laura

Thanks for the info, Yosemite Sam. I am staying at the Lodge and just cannot wait to get there!

Laura

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Laura

BTT

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:28 PM
grasshopper

If you hike down from Glacier Point do wear good shoes. You toes will get very sore from all that downhill.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Kathy

We have a tram that takes you around the park it is really nice. You buy your tickets right there on the valley floor.
We took my parents last year and there up in age and we knew they couldn't hike to the falls. But the tram is the best next thing. Get out of the car and walk or rent a bike anything but drive... The most beauitful place in the world.
We go every spring and fall the colors are great. Enjoy

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Kathy

Oppps... They have a tram that takes you. I said we *&%$@#)*