yosemite/first timers

Search

yosemite/first timers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yosemite/first timers

traveling to Yosemite for two days in June, in-park hotels/motels booked. Two children 10, 15. hotel/motel suggestions needed and "should not miss itinerary" suggestions. Thank you
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:55 AM

We have enjoyed the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. It is just outside the entrance to the park. There are two swimming pools and it is right on the Merced River. There are two restaurants and a deli. The rooms have a small kitchen set up, which makes it nice.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Keep calling to see if you can get in on a cancellation. I've heard the best time to get in on a cancellation is just 10 days before. Are you apposed to cabins or tent cabins in Curry Village?

The waterfalls and granite mountians are my favorites in Yosemite Valley. The hike to Vernal Falls is great. Ride the free shuttle buses around the valley and enjoy. If you have bikes you can bring, there are plenty of bike paths in the valley. You can also rent bikes at Curry Village.

Glacier Point is another great location to visit as is the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.

Utahtea
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Since you have 2 days, I would do something like this:

Day 1:

Morning tram tour of the valley - open air tour, ranger-led, lots of good information and a good way to orient yourself to the valley. Leaves from the Yosemite Lodge and lasts a couple hours.

Afternoon, rent bikes and ride around the valley - there are plenty of bike paths and the valley is pretty flat, so riding is easy.

Day 2:

Morning: Drive to Glacier Point and visit giant sequoias at Wawona

Afternoon: Hiking - Vernal Falls and Mirror Lake are good choices.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:06 AM

J_Correa,

I like all your ideas but don't you think that Glacier Point/Wawona AND hiking to Vernal Falls/Mirror Lake in the same day is a little much for one day?

I think if I did the tram tour, I'd do the hiking that day and if I did the Glacier Point/Wawona day, I'd try to squeeze in the bike riding, if there was time.

Utahtea
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Horseback rides in the valley are a great way to see some of the park.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Utahtea - yeah, you are probably right. Switching the afternoon activities would probably be better.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM

I think you've gotten some great advice here already.

Be certain to walk to the bases of Yosemite and Bridalveil falls. Each walk only takes a few minutes from the main road and is a "should not miss."

The view from Glacier Point is spectacular and the hike to Vernal Falls is very high on my list each time I visit the park.

If you have time, we have enjoyed dining at the Awahnee Hotel (if you like older but architecturally wonderful lodge-type buildings.)
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:45 PM

I meant to add (but hit the return button by mistake) that breakfast might be a good meal at the Ahwahnee - more expensive than at your typical coffee shop but not outrageous. The room is beautiful with nice views of the park. Your kids might not enjoy the more formal dinner atmosphere.

I would keep trying for cancellations in the park as it would be more convenient, but El Portal is a good alternative.

Have a good trip!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

If you like to hike take the shuttle bus from your hotel to Glacier Point then the Panorama trail back down to the valley floor. Get the bus schedule and buy tickets for the shuttle the night before at the hotel activity desk. Takes in most of what I think are the highlights of the Valley. View from the Point amazing as well as on the trip down past Nevada Falls, Vernal Falls (take the mist trail route)and then along the Merced river. Once at the bottom take the free shuttle bus back to lodging. Not an easy hike, but downhill most of the way.