Grand Canyon lodging

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Grand Canyon lodging

Hello,
We are travelling to the Grand Canyon with 2 other families this July. There will be 6 adults and 7 teenagers in all. We will be staying 3 nights in the area. We would like to see the canyon, take a "float" ride and check out Sedona. Does anyone have suggestions on accomodations that would please everyone? I would like something comfortable and CLEAN but also would like some amenities to keep the kids happy (pool, arcade, etc.).
Also Thunderbird Lodge can accomodate us for one night. Not crazy about changing hotels so much but would it be worth it?!
thanks for all your help
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Float rides within the National Park are a minimum of three days, cost about $250 per person per day, and are usually booked over a year in advance.

www.azstarnet.com/grandcanyonriver/FAQcom.html

You do have some alternatives.

1) pontoon boat ride at the Hualapai Reservation.
www.destinationgrandcanyon.com/activities.html

2) a boat trip either before or after the National Park
www.PowellMuseum.org/WaterTours.html
(this URL is just one of dozens I found)

GrandCanyonLodges.Com has all info on lodging within Park, and I conclude you've checked there already. For 13 people with 13 different abilities to wake up and get packing, I suggest you stay in one place the entire time. This is one of the VERY RARE times I would recommend staying outside the Park if you absolutely can't stay inside.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:01 AM

thre is so much to do--are you focusing on the GC (and SEdona) only? With 13 people, planning this coud be a challenge --monument vallye-near the 4 corners-is terrific but a bit of a drive from GC

I think 3 days at the GC alone will be too much, unless you do some hiking into the canyon.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the recommendations. We are flying into Phoenix and plan to drive to GC. We will see the sights along the way. I am thinking of staying at the Best Western Country Squire just outside the entrance to the south rim for 2 nights. That would include the float ride possibly from Page and seeing the Grand Canyon (I wouldn't call it hiking). Then wondering if we should go to Jerome (not sure where it is) and then spend the 3rd night in Sedona. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Lots for moving for a lot of people. I would stay in Sedona for 2 nights (rather than S & Jerome).
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Dear ID:

Stay 2 nights in Sedona and the one at the Canyon.

MY
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:05 PM

You can do the float trip out of Page, AZ two ways. One from the Grand Canyon, this cost more because the bus you from the Grand Canyon to Page, AZ and then back to the Grand Canyon. Plan on this taking ALL DAY!

The other option is you can drive yourself to Page, AZ and catch the afternoon float trip that starts at 1:30 but you need to be there about 12;30 and gets back at 6:15 P.M. Again this is going to take almost all day by the time you drive to Page, AZ. Two things in your favor are the price is much cheaper if you go from Page, AZ and you can stop at some of the scenic overlooks as you exit the park on the way to Page. I think I would spend your two nights at the Grand Canyon, then one night at Page, AZ instead of Sedona, if you want to do the float trip.

Utahtea
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM

We based ourselves in Flagstaff and it worked out nicely. We rented a two bedroom timeshare apartment.