Grand Canyon Crazy Question

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon Crazy Question

At the risk of sounding incredibly ignorant..Can anyone tell me what city provides a good base for exploring this area??We would love to spend a day or two exploring the Canyon, but would also like to see maybe Sedona,Scottsdale,great hotel, etc.This area of the country is NOT my forte' and any help you guys can offer would be most appreciated..thanks !
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:00 PM

You are going to want to stay in at least 3 different locations to see the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Scottsdale other wise you will be spending to much time driving.

Grand Canyon to Sedona is 120 miles. From Sedona to Scottsdale is 125 miles. From Grand Canyon to Scottsdale is 235 miles...so no one place is going to do the trick.

I would recommend trying to get lodging at the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon or in the little town of Tusayan just outside the entrance to the park.

Utahtea
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:50 AM

There are also a few hotels in Williams, south of the South Rim. Stayed there a few years back, and it was alright.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:13 AM

Realize the distances are vast in this part of the country - you can't really do day trip explorations of the GC and Scottsdale from the same base unless you plan on driving for most of the day. To visit the Canyon, you really should stay there (or right outside the entrance) - ditto for Sedona and Scottsdale.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 05:57 PM
jtp

We stayed at the Best Western in Tusayan- it is winter many places in the park were already booked or closed. THe accomodations were by far more modern then anything in the park, staff professional, and the location was ideal for day trips to Sedona, Lake Powell (we flew into Flagstaff)
I would not recommend staying in Williams (though do go for the fun of route 66) and eat pie at the Pine Country Restaurant! The town itself has a sad - run down feel...