Reload this Page >

Yosemite Cedar Lodge

Search

Yosemite Cedar Lodge

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2001, 07:39 PM
Ruby

Yosemite Cedar Lodge

Would like to hear from anybody who knows anything about Cedar Lodge in El Portal, Ca. Planning to spend 3 nights there while touring Yosemite NP. How far is it from the park? Any help would be appreciated. Ruby

Old May 3rd, 2001, 03:38 AM
bonnie

Cedar Lodge is a slightly above average motel. It's about a half-hour drive from Yosemite. I'm not sure I'd stay there, though. It's the place where three women tourists were staying in 1999 when they were murdered (in their cabin) by one of the lodge's handymen.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 04:24 AM
Liz

We stayed there for 5 nights 2 summers ago. Acually it was just after the above incident. I see no reason that that past incident should cause you concern. The only drawback for us was that El Portal is not a town, and has no restaurants and such. After a day hiking or biking, we'd go back to the motel to get cleaned up, then have to drive miles to get something to eat, or eat at the 2 motel restaurants in the area.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 10:14 AM
kam

El Portal is actually a gate to Yosemite Park and has two hotels, one of which is the Cedar Lodge (and the kidnapper has been caught and locked up tight, so I don't think you need to fear). Sometimes you will get in traffic at the gate on a summer weekend, but if traffic is moving it should take 30-40 min. to reach the valley floor which is what most folks refer to as "Yosemite". It's a pretty drive into the valley from El Portal. Make sure your car has a full gas tank when leaving the motel since there are no gas stations in the Park. You don't say when you are planning to visit, but the prime accomodations are at the Ahwahnee Hotel. There is also the Yosemite Lodge, the Wawona Hotel and Curry Village (which is tent cabins). All are booked through the NPS and reservations are taken one year ahead for the most popular rooms. You can call (209) 252-4848 for info or to reserve.In evaluating hotels, know that there are four gates to the park, all of which are some distance to the valley floor. El Portal is probably the closest. Then you need to consider how far your hotel is from the nearest gate and factor that in. Sometimes as is the case with staying in El Portal vs. staying at the Wawona, it's actually closer to stay outside the park. Hope this makes sense---it's really confusing. www.yosemite-sierra.org and www.yosemitepark.com

Old May 10th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Lisa Lavelle

The hotel is really quaint and if you play golf, there is a beautiful 9 hole course that is breathtaking. It is not far from the park, the drive is a winding road that will give you some sights and advantages to your journey.

Enjoy the journey, your spirits will enjoy the area and peacefulness.

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Ruby

Thanks to all for your comments. This is our first visit to Cal. and Yosemite.
Also our first experience with this web site. It is great. Lots to learn.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:26 PM
anonymous

If there was a rat in a room at a hotel, travelers would warn each other on this site. At the Cedar Lodge, three people were tortured and murdered over a twelve-hour period by a hotel employee. Nobody noticed. The killer wasn't even caught until he killed yet another person, in another location, long afterward. Wouldn't you consider this a hotel with a security problem? If not, what hotel on earth would qualify as one?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:29 PM
aaa

I've stayed at this place as well. The rooms were large and very comfortable for a motel. But I would try to find accomodations within the valley itself if at all possible. It was quite a twisty drive to get to the lodge.

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:44 AM
ellen g

About 3-4 years ago on one of our western adventures, we stayed at "Yosemite View Lodge". It is about 1/2 mile east of Yosemite NP and I think is managed by the same people as Cedar Lodge.

The location was Perfect! It was almost like staying in the park! The lodge is located on the Merced River - ask for a room with a view. The kids enjoyed the outdoor pool too, while we soaked in the scenery from the patio.

The rooms were quite large, and ours had a kitchenette (altho we had not requested it.)

I would definitely choose this before Cedar Lodge, simply because of its close proximity to the NP.

Enjoy your trip, Yosemite is glorious!

Old May 24th, 2002, 11:07 AM
ellen g

I was curious so i pulled out the ole photo album from 1997 --- the phone number is 800-321-5261 for Yosemite Motels, which includes BOTH Cedar Lodge and Yosemite View. HTH.