Reload this Page >

Trip report - Napa Sonoma wine country, Copia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Tony

Just returned from 3 wonderful days in the wine country. Weather was perfect, wild flowers were in bloom, and surprisingly, although we were there on weekdays, there were no crowds. Our first day started at Copia, the American Center for Wine, Food and the Arts. Its currently open from 10-5, Thurs-Monday, adult admission $12.50. The tours and exhibitions are quite interesting. The highlight was a late lunch at the dining room, Julia's Kitchen (As with all fine dining in the Napa Valley, reservations are a must if you want to eat where and when you want). The food was fantastic, a real experience of unique flavors. I understand they will start serving dinners in about a week.

Having spent the day at Copia, we then checked into the Villagio Inn in Yountville for our 3 nite stay. We really like the Villagio for several reasons. The rooms are beautifully furnished with all the amenities. There is a pool and full service spa, and the champange breakfast included in the price is excellent. By Napa Valley standards, the cost is quite reasonable. There are also several very good restaurants within walking distance and Yountville is a central location for touring.

For dinner the first night, we ate at Bistro Jeanty's located directly accross the street from the Villagio. It is probably the most authentic French bistro you will find in the Napa Valley. The food is very good.

Our next day took us over to Sonoma. After window shopping and stocking up at the basque bakery on the town square for picnic supplies, we went wine tasting at Buena Vista, Ravenswood and Chateau St. Jean wineries. After that we took a leisurely drive up to Windsor and Healdsburg. Returning to Sonoma, we had dinner at Cafe La Haye, a small restaurant offering fine dining at quite reasonable prices.

On day three, we headed north to St. Helena, stopping at V. Sattui for picnic supplies. We stopped for wine tasting at Coppola, Markham and Sterling wineries. We then took a leisurely drive up to the Alexander Valley where we stopped at the Hannah winery. For dinner that night, we went to new Martini House restaurant in St. Helena. It fully lived up to all the excellent reviews written about it. If you really like fine dining, you will enjoy Martini House.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Lindsey

Tony:

Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good time. My wife and I will be spending two-and-ahalf days there next month. A couple of questions if I may.

1. Were you there for the weekend or during the week? How crowded?

2. How much time did you spend at Copia? What were the highlights, other than the meal?

3. What is the cost of the Villagio?

4. What was the name of the Basque bakery?

5. Of the wineries you visited, if asked to pick one winery to visit which one would you choose?

Thanks for the feedback.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Dayle

Hi Tony! Very nice report, thank you! Did you try Ravenwood's Cabernet? It's one of my favorites.
Glad you had a good time!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:37 PM
kam

Tony, Thanks for reporting on one of our favorite areas. Glad you enjoyed it and yes, the weather was spectacular (sadly we're back to bigtime fog today) I think you need to remember that you were there on Easter weekend and just following Passover. That tends to be a nice quiet weekend as does the one following Memorial Day and the 4th of July. I spent the weekend in my kitchen, wishing I could be in the wine country. BTW, friend reports that Monterey was also quite nice on Easter Sunday. You hit a home run!!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Tony

Lindsey
1. We were there Mon. thru this morning (Thursday). There were no crowds anywhere. Perhaps because it is early in the tourist season.
2. We spent several hours at Copia. We got there around 10:30 and left about 4:00. We took a tour of the facilities, a tour of the garden, an exhibition (class) on why different wines taste the way they do and the type of foods they should be served with. We went to another demonstration (additional cost) on cooking with chocolate. There is also a kind of fun art exhibition on the second floor, along with an exhibition about food that is both interesting and entertaining.
3. Re Villagio, I have never paid the same amount the three times we have stayed there. It seems to vary according to how busy they are and what specials they are running. This time it was $198 per nite. You can check out their web site for specials.
4. I wish I could remember the name of the bakery. We found it when we were walking around. It is right on the main square in downtown Sonoma next door to the old movie theater.
5. It would really be hard to pick a single winery as we enjoy wines from many different wineries. My wife enjoyed Chateau St. Jean (she likes their Chardonnay), while I particularly liked Ravenswood. Coppola had very good wines and an interesting art collection. We also had a particularly fun time at the Hannah winery. We almost didn't stop. Since there was no one else there at the time, the saleswoman didn't charge us to taste the reserve wines. Her salesmanship worked as we bought several bottles.

Dayle:
At Ravenswood (motto - no wimpy wines) we bought a couple of bottles of their Monte Rosso Vineyard Zinfandel. Outstanding. You should try it.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Sandy

Tony,
Great trip report. Thanks for all the great info. I'll be sure to check out Villagio on my next trip to Napa.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Denise

I am enjoying reading these message boards in preparation for a trip to Wine Country in June. However, I am starting to laugh and say "uh huh" everytime someone raves about the lodging. Inevitably, as with the Villagio, "reasonable" in Napa Valley must translate out to quite a few people as "oh, $200 a night? No problem!" Please, are there any regular ordinary people out there besides ourselves who visit Napa Valley and hope to stay in a decent place for $150 or under??????

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Sheli

Denise:

That would be me!

I was a bit disappointed in the prices of lodging in Napa/Sonoma when I learned that I would have to spend in excess of my preconceived $$ amount. I figured I could get a nice B&B for around $100/night. My max was $175/night (and I figured there would be no chance of having to spend that much, hoping to find more reasonable rates) Alas, it is not to be had in the B&B/spa/guesthouse realm. I suppose I could stay in a HolidayInn or Quality Inn for around $100...but then I want the cozy feeling that a B&B or guesthouse provides.

So, I found what looks like a nice B&B in Sonoma (the city) and called it up. To my surprise, the owner offered me $20 less a night since we are staying for 3 nights and booking 2 rooms (2 couples are going) So, I'm in at $120/night. I think this is a great deal considering I would have had to spend $160 at Hilltop House in Calistoga (my other choice)

So, we leave in 19 days and we shall see if my B&B was the right pick at a good price.

Sheli

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Bill

It all depends on what is important to you. For me, a central location and a place with all the amenities is easily worth an extra $50 or more a night, especially since I only take a trip once or twice a year. Its a splurge for me, but I enjoy it. For others, a place with a less central location and/or minimal amenities but that saves them $50 a night is what is most important. Whether the extra cost or savings is "worth it" is a very individual thing.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 02:11 PM

ttt

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Denise

Thank you - Sheli, may I ask where you are staying in Sonoma? And Bill, do you consider Calistoga to be centrally located for seeing the Napa valley? Or would Sonoma do just as well?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Bill

Denise
The actual Napa Valley runs from the city of Napa on the south to St. Helena on the north. Calistoga is somewhat north of St. Helena, so it is not "centrally located" to see the Napa Valley. However, I would not see any problem if someone wanted to base themselves in Calistoga to tour the Napa Valley, it will just involve slightly more driving. On the other hand, there are some great wineries in the Calistoga area itself. The city of Sonoma is located in the Sonoma Valley. It is separated from the Napa Valley by a mountain range. It takes approximately 30-45 minutes to drive from Sonoma to Napa, so if you are planning to tour the Napa Valley, you need to add that time to the trip. The Sonoma Valley itself also has a lot of great wineries that you could tour without ever going to the Napa Valley. Hope that answers your question.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Shadow

Denise-I'm with you! It better be a very, very special occasion for us to spend $200 a night for a room to sleep in! We are spoiled after Paris-one of the most beautiful cities in the WORLD,
lovely hotel, view from our room of the Eiffel Tower-$85 a night. We are ordinary people I guess.
Shadow

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Susan

Sheli, my sister stayed at the Hilltop House and said it was a dive! Actually, she and her boyfriend left after they checked in, foregoing any type of refund, it was that bad. Good thing you found another place in Sonoma to stay.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Tony

While Bill's description of the Napa and Sonoma valleys is accurate, the distances are still not that great. You can drive all the way from Napa up through the Napa Valley to St. Helena and Calistoga and continue on to Geyserville and Healdsburg and then head back down to Sonoma and return to Napa in a single day including stops at a couple of wineries and for lunch. It would be long day but it certainly could be done. It would be best to do a trip like that on a weekday outside of the normal tourist season. Otherwise the crowds on the roads and at all the wineries will really slow you down. Obviously, if you have more time it makes much more sense to tour the Napa valley for a day or two and then the Sonoma valley for on another day or two.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Carol

Tony great trip report.Thanks!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Judy

Denise and Sheli, I had the same trouble trying to find reasonable lodging in the Sonoma/Napa. I kept on trying differant sites times, I eventually came across the Napa River Inn(gorgeous, new hotel in Napa Square, for 143 a night. FYI, Judy

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:30 PM
xxx

If I stay in St Helena am I in a good location and close to Napa.How far is it to the Sonoma Valley.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Dan

Depending primarily on the traffic, you can generally drive from St. Helena to Napa in about 1/2 hour, and to Sonoma in about an hour.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:23 PM
kal

You can take the beautiful ride from St Helena to Sonoma over the Oakville Grade Rd which turns into Dry Creek then into Trinity Rd. and stops at Hwy12 coming into Sonoma from the north. Beautiful drive but make sure your car has a good set of brakes!
Kal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -