Search

yosemite

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yosemite

Please help me. I've made reservations at a small inn 2 miles from the west gate (Oak flat) of Yosemite. When I spoke to a park employee, they told me it would take 2 hours from the cabin to get to the valley center. They also said that if I stayed at the Wawona Hotel, it would only take 45 min. to get to the valley center. In looking at the Yosemite map, I've become confused. Anyone out there who can make some sense of this. We are going in July. Thanks
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:34 AM

Those time estimates are probably right. If you want to stay closer, try the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal, just outside the park and about a 20 minute ride to the valley. It's actually closer to the valley than most of the accommodations within the park.
The Yosemite Lodge within the park would be the best location, but it's probably all sold out for July (but you can try).
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:39 AM

Yosemite is huge, larger than the state of Rhode Island. 45 minutes is about right from Wawona to the valley center. Your best bet is to stay in the valley at least 2 nights. Spring for the Ahwanee if possible.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 05:16 AM
ww

July is a very busy time for Yosemite. Staying within the park would be ideal.
Check their accommodation website to see what's available during the time you plan to go. People do cancel at the last minutes. Good luck.
www.yosemitepark.com/html/accommodation.html
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 08:30 AM
cd

We are visiting Yosemite also and this is the information I have received. If I received incorrect information, please someone let me know. If you can afford Ahwanee (over $300.00 per night) it is the best place to be. The other facilities in the Park are not that great. We have chosen the Apple Tree Inn in Fish Camp. It was built in "97" , clean and comfortable. Two min from an entrance to the park and 4 miles from Mariposa Grove (Redwoods) a place we want to go. It is 45min to the Valley Floor but a beautiful drive thru the park. If you are interested they have a web site and phone is 888-683-5111.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 08:43 AM

If at all possible, stay in the park, on the Valley floor. I have stayed at the Yosemite Lodge many times and there are a range of accommodations from tent cabins to cabins without baths to cabins with baths to hotel like rooms. They are very basic. No TV but every room I've stayed in has a view of Yosemite Falls from the window! It's wonderful to walk outside and be in the Valley.

I think the Ahwanee is way over rated. It's a fabulous building. That said, any visitor to the park can walk through the public areas, sit in the lounges, eat in the dining room, wander around in the "gardens" outside.

The glory of Yosemite is in nature, not the rooms.

Also, there are multiple entrances to the park. Oak Flat is probably the longer route and can be difficult in winter (one of my scariest ice and slide experiences was there). The route from Mariposa is probably and easier drive and the hotels outside the entrance there would be closer to the Valley Floor.

The Wawona is actually in the park but not in the valley. The drive in to the valley from there (I would say 45 minutes was a very long estimate) has some wonderful views.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:59 AM

Chelsea,

I don't think that the 2 hour answer is accurate. I drive into Yosemite about 4 times a year on Highway 120. It has never taken me 2 hours from the gate. Not even when I was stuck behind a slow moving RV that wouldn't use pull outs.

I don't know why the park employee would tell you that unless a) that person had a personal beef with the place where you have a reservation or b) they were trying to ramp up in the park accomodations sales.

Even if there was a huge traffic back up, which could happen in July, (something I think that would hit all the gates equally) I don't understand how it could take 2 hours unless you piled out at every possible pullout on the way in.

My experience is that it generally takes 45 minutes to get from the Big Oak Flat gate to the valley.

I think it's better to stay *in* the park, but I've never stayed at Wawona, only at Tuolomne Meadows and various campgrounds in the valley. If you could get valley lodging, that would truly be the best bet. Howard is sort of correct. Wawona is farther from the valley than El Portal is. So is Foresta. Everything else that doesn't involve camping is in the valley.

Also... lots of folks on this board like to come into Yosemite either from the lower west entrance on Highway 140 or at the south entrance on Highway 41.

I'm always coming in from SF area. I hate, hate, hate the central valley, it's hot, flat and smells like *uhm* fertilizer. Taking those other routes is a longer drive.

Hope this info helps.

Also, if you DO choose to stay by big oak flat, I hope you post a follow up, I'd love to know what that place is like, I've never stayed there.

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:52 PM

I am not sure of the highway you will be taking but I stayed in a small village called Groveland. It was approx 30 mins drive from the entrance to Yosemite.

There was hotel accom as well as The Groveland Motel campground ( where we stayed) with cabin, trailer and teepee accom.
It cost us $46 for a trailer.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:26 PM

I'd love more info about staying in Fish Camp and the Apple Tree Inn. We have reservations there later this month and I think we'll spend one day in the valley and the others in the Wawona area. Appreciate any feedback on the hotel or the location, dining tips, etc. Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:17 PM

OK, I'm going to weigh in here one more time, though I fear my welcome is wearing thin. It is my humble opinion as a frequent Yosemite visitor, that it is virtually a must to stay in the Valley if you are to truly enjoy the grandeur of the Park. The Lodge, while not cheap, is a happy medium between the spartan tent cabins,and the upper end Ahwanee. I've stayed in all of them over 40 years now, and I cannot conceive of not staying in the Valley. It is late at night, and early in the morning, before the crowds, and cars, and buses, when the Park shows it's splendor. A dawn hike in the mist of a crisp morning is unbelievalbly peaceful and serene.
OK, I know some cannot afford park prices, or are concerned about room quality. But you are cheating yourself of a tremendous nature experience by in effect becoming a day-tripper to the park.
Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it Please try hard, keep trying the web site and the phone #. They have cancellations all the time.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:26 PM

So BillJ, how are the rooms at the lodge? Are the restaurants there any good?
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:45 PM

I agree 100% BillJ. Our first trip to Yosemite we weren't too organized and couldn't get a place in the park so stayed at a wonderful place in Fishcamp. But we even canceled dinner reservations at the Ahwanee because there was no way we were driving that road back at night after drinks and wine. And we spent much of our time in the traffic lines coming and going to the valley.
More recently we stayed at the Ahwanee and the difference in the total experience was incredible. There was a full moon and the walk at night was both eerie and magical -- and you're right also about the early mornings.
We are traveling with two friends this summer and fortunately have booked the Ahwanee again for a couple of nights. It may be the most overpriced hotel in the country -- but is still worth it for the total experience, and I wouldn't trade the location for an "out of the park" place for anything.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:15 AM

In terms of what you pay vs. what you get Everything in Yosemite Valley is expensive.

The rooms at the Ahwahnee are not like any other room you'd pay $300 for. I'd compare it to a smaller version of the Wyndham Gardens in Costa Mesa I stayed in not too long ago.

The rooms at the lodge remind me of your basic near the highway motel. Same amenties as say, an Easy 8.

For food, I think the Mountain Room near the Lodge is probably the best bang for the buck. For folks not coming from big cities it's probably expensive, for folks from dense urban areas, I'd call it moderate. There is also the Ahwahnee, where I've only had special presentation dinners. I suspect the food is maybe a notch up over the Mountain room, the price tag is several notches up. I prefer to have breakfast there, if for no other reason than being able to see the granite walls out the windows.

There are other places to eat as well, pizza and stuff, I'd liken it to strip mall food.

I'm with Grasshopper, Bill & Patrick, if there is any way for you to stay IN the valley (esp in July!) do so, it will make a world of difference in how your trip goes.

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 03:18 PM

I agree, to experience Yosemite best, one should stay in the valley itself.

I've been to Yosemite many times and the times as a child when we went camping are the fondest in my memory. It is a national park best experienced as close to nature as possible.

This next trip for us is more about the convenience of reaching Fish Camp, the lower cost, and the fact that at this point all lodging in the valley is very booked. Well, except for unheated tent cabins in Curry Village but that's not an option for me in the winter! So, I'm still interested in any feedback about Fish Camp and the Apple Tree Inn. Also, it looks as though there are sleigh rides and winter trail horseback rides in the area. Anyone done? Thanks.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:48 AM

Not to beat this point to death, but I have an acquaintance who works at the agency handling Yosemite reservations. She informs me that the online reservation system is real time, and her advise to all who ask her is to check it two or three times a day. You are likely to catch a vacancy. Just thought I'd pass this on.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 10:51 PM
mtm

Thanks for that tip, Bill. I always used to use the phones & agree, that w/ enough persistence, one usually can secure a room in the Valley itself...it may only be a week before, but it's worth it. Yes, for the style of rooms of each place, one pays more than one ever would outside the park. But, like you (& to our original poster), there is NO comparison to staying in the Park to reap the benefits of extra time there in the evenings & mornings, when it's esp. quiet. Applies to all of our national parks, in my opinion...why waste time going in & out of parks, if you can avoid it. This is esp. true too for Yellowstone which is so huge!
It's great to hear the Yosemite waterfalls at night...& if a moon's out, wonderful! I even got married at Yosemite almost 10 years ago, so I had a *lot* of experience, trying to get rooms for everyone. It's doable! So, Chelsea, I'd go for that, if at all possible. I don't believe all rooms at Yosemite Lodge can see the Falls, but it's easy to see from the Parking Lot & grounds. It's only a 5 minute walk to the base of the Falls from the Lodge. And, it is a 'compromise' place...basically a clean motel...boring, but a way to stay in the Park, without paying as much as for the Ahwahnee. If you'd like to splurge, though, the Ahwahnee is delightful! Don't miss it for some meal. Most economical is lunch...and the dining room is spectacular at any time!