Yipee!!!! NYC here I come!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this past June I have been lurking around and reading all the past NYC threads I could find and fine-tuning my itineary. Those threads have been a goldmine; I have spent many a late night reading and re-reading those wonderful threads. I want to say a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to everyone on this board. All of the threads have proven to be invaluable.

This will be my first trip to NYC; I am just too excited!! My flight leaves next Sat. (8-14) and will stay thru Friday,8-20. I will have a FULL six (6) days to explore this wonderful city. I will be staying in the Lower East End. My flight gets into LGA around 10:00pm so most likely will not arrive at hostel until quite late. My plan for Sunday is to sleep in, have breakfast, and then wander around China Town. I already have a reservation for Lower East End Tenement tour for 3:30. This way I will have time to re-group from my flight and get my bearings together.

Once again, thank you. I will post a trip report when I return.

Kaye

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:51 PM
gyppielou

Have a blst Kaye!!!!

I spent 3 working weeks in Manhattan this past Spring. Do look for the Yellow water taxis. They were adding to their fleet and doing a $15 on/off for 2 days. A really great way to see the city, head to Brooklyne to explore and eat pizza at Grimaldi's and then a walk over the bridge.....it's a great way to tour different areas.

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Love your enthusiasm!
One little tip: It's the Lower East Side, not Lower East End. (Just want spare you some strange looks from New Yorkers when you ask where the Lower East End is!)
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

To Howard: Thank you! My guidebook says Lower Eastside but for some odd reason I want to keep saying "lower east end". Go figure! Maybe I will have calmed down enough to be able to think straight.

Gyppielou, the yellow water taxis sound great. It was my plan to visit the Battery Park area after my tour at Tenement Museum. I will definately try to locate the water taxis and check them out. It was my plan to poke around in Brooklyn, have a pizza at Grimaldis and walk back across the bridge either Monday or Tuesday. On about Thursday or Friday I wanted to ride the subway to Coney Island/Brighton Beach. I have always wanted to visit Brighton Beach after watching the movie "memoirs of Brighton Beach". So much more is packed inbetween on my itineary!

Kaye
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Have a wonderful time
Which hostel are you staying in?
Let's have a trip report when you get back~
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

To Scarlett: I am staying at the Bowery Whitehouse Hostel. I am a "senior" on a very fixed income but one who has always loved to travel. I use hostels to obtain my goal and be able to stay more than 2 or 3 days to be able to have some flexible time to explore.

WOW! The weekend has come and gone and Sat. Aug. 14th is LOOMING on horizon!!! I will definately give a trip report when I return.

Scarlett, I remember reading some of your previous NYC threads when researching my trip. They were so helpful. Many thanks.

Kaye
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Kaye, please come back with a trip report; your enthusiasm is quite endearing. We are especially interested in your review of the hostel, since there are so many posters looking for economical accomodations, especially in the Greenwich Village area.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:21 AM

ttt
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM
gyppielou

nywatertaxi.com I think... Have a blast!!! One day Grimaldi's and BBridge, another all the way up to visit the museums........good luck and HAVE A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Kaye - You will absolutely love NYC. I'm glad you will be able to spend a week there. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Kaye1947

You are in for a treat - all the best for a lovely week in NYC. Looking forward to reading your trip report. Please share where you are from.

Regards.
Sandy
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

I have had so many loose ends to tie together before Sat. that my being online has been rather sporadic.

Sandy asked where I was from: I was born and raised in NW Arkansas. I moved to the Houston area in early 70s after being recruited by an oil company. I lived in that area over 25 years. Recently moved back home to help my sister with our parents. I sure do miss Houston! But I manage to get in visits there and try to have at least one big annual trip. It is more difficult now...timewise AND moneywise. It seems that my retirement is not worth what it should have been. My sister helps me with parents prescriptions and those expenses are enormous! Oh dear, I am rambling again about things are of absolutely no interest to this forum. *sigh* Sorry about that.

WOOOHOOO!!!! Saturday is almost here!!!!

Kaye