Help with planning NYC visit

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with planning NYC visit

My husband and I are taking our daughters, ages 21 and 23, to NYC in a few weeks for their first visit. We have 2 1/2 days, and I want to squeeze in as much as possible. Would appreciate some logistics advice. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis on Times Square and will arrive around 1230pm on a Monday.
Which direction should we head for 1/2 day to take advantage of our time?
Should we do a Grayline Tour on one of the full days? The only thing we have booked is 'Wicked' on Wednesday evening, our last night. We want them to see the highlights, including The Village, Soho area, Central Park, Ground Zero, etc. Thanks for any suggestions/itinerary advice regarding specific routes. I've been several times, but have never done the whirlwind tour. Thanks much!
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM

While I'm not a "tour" person, I'd strongly suggest that you spend that first afternoon (if the weather is nice) on an open top bus tour that will give you a good orientation of the highlights of the city.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:02 AM
GoTravel

I agree. Plus it is such a wonderful ride.

Book the All Loop. It is the best deal for your money and good for two days.

Do the Uptown, Downtown, Midtown, and Brooklyn tours. It should only take you a half day if you start early enough plus you can go back and see what peaked your interest.

Old May 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

EXCELLENT idea! Thanks so much!
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Ground Zero is not much to see. It is basically an excuvation site with a little bit of building going on. If you were not there before it is hard it visualize the five towers that had been there. With so little time, I would suggest Ellis Island or a Circle Line tour to see the city from the water. Central Park and at least an hour in the Metropolitan Museum, walk down Fifth Ave. thru the park and further south to Saint Pats, Rockafeller Center. Since you are in Times Square eat in Becco. I don't know where you live but Chinatown is really like being in China, good to combine with SoHo. It will be hot and there is lots of walking. The Village is kinda not too nice anymore. No dangerous but I do not find it very interesting, just my opinion. Get a good map!!
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:08 PM

I respectfully disagree. Walking around the Village is one of my favorite activities in NYC. I live in Dallas, but was actually there last night for work and enjoyed the beautiful weather sitting on a patio at Bleecker/7th watching the people go by. I second the Circle Line Harbor tour.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM

I'd spend a day (or at least an afternoon) wandering around SOHO and the village - start in one end and wander to the other for dinner. Soho you can walk down West Broadway and veer off into Prince and Spring streets - lots of good restaurants, shops (expensive ones on west broadway, more reasonable on broadway but street isn't as interesting) outdoor cafes - great vibe if it's sunny. In the village you can wander by Washington Square park - can stop at Otto for lunch or dinner (one of Mario Batali's more casual restaurants - pizza and pasta and probably a fun vibe for your girls), then head into the west village which is great - some of my favorite streets there (you can walk down west fourth and bleecker west of seventh, area around Jane and Waverly, and further west to Hudson - basically the whole area west of seventh avenue is great - brownstone streets, some boutiques, restaurants, etc).

Then spend another day uptown - fifth avenue, central park, go to the boathouse in the park for a drink, you can grab lunch or dinner on columbus avenue. The Met is definitely worth a visit, as is the Moma if you want to hit some museums.
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM

the top of the met has a cute bar which overlooks central park. with a 21 and 23 yr old soho and the village are a must.... walking down west broadway between houston and canal and up broadway (stores stores and more stores) is quinteseential for NYC even if its crowded!!! chinatown is not worth it in my opinion. there are no good fakes anymore (if that was your idea anyhow) and its crowded, smelly and hot. HOWEVER, there is a lot of great chinese food depending what your motives are.

ground zero isnt spectacular to see esp if you didnt see the towers in person but i understnad wanting to go there. circleline has a 4 hr manhattan tour which i went on w my mom and loved (and i live in manhattan and have for 5 yrs now). my brother did the on off open aired bus and saw a ton.... i wouldnt make it to brooklyn if i were you- quie frankly you dont have time.

enjoy!
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM

One great place that has become very popular to view the city is from the Top of The Rock, which is the observation deck at Rockefeller Center. However, For appox. the same price as they charge to take the elevator up, instead to for a drink at the Rainbow Grill (no cover or min.) on the floor below. Same great views, and you can relax in a comfortable chair and enjoy the city.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM
GoTravel

Elainee, I must disagree about the World Trade Center site. I still find it very moving and I've seen it about 100 times since the towers fell.

Old May 17th, 2007, 08:30 AM

I agree with GoTravel about the WTC site. We were there a few weeks ago and it was very moving. I would recommend going early in the morning - it was less crowded and more of a sense of respect than later in the day when the buses of tourists had arrived. It's worth going into the Path station to look at some of the info about the subway stations and there's also some info about the plans for the site.

We had breakfast at Liberty Plaza sitting on the granite blocks the one morning and it was incredibly moving to think that there had been people in that spot who had heard the plane crash, and been there at about the same time we were there. I would definitely go!
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:50 AM

I'd say don't forget the Empire State Building. Sure, it's touristy, but what a view! It's great at night too. You can get tickets online ahead of time, and save yourself standing in one of the two lines.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:43 AM

By all means take a bus ride on Grayline which I think is the vendor for the big red sightseeing bus. Its a great way to spend a rainy day, Fabulous way to tour, hop on and off. WTC is a must see for any American. Early morning TV shows like GMA and Today are interesting to visit
Rockefeller Center and NBC tour is interesing but you have to buy tickets in the morning for a tour later in the day. St Patricks Cathedral is nearby. If you have a couple hours to kill duck into a musuem, MOMA, Metropolitan Museum of art on 5th ave, etc . Your daughters will love shopping in Soho
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:50 AM

welcome to NYC-- one of the things that no one has emphasized yet is that New York City is one of the great cultutal capitals of the world. If you can only see 1 museum, without any doubt, spend it at least a few hours at the Metropolitan Musuem of Art. Not seeing it at is like going to Paris and not seeing the Louvre. It is enormous, so devote your time to what you like most. It practically has everything. www.metmuseum.org. A fun route would be to walk thorugh the park starting at columbus circle up to the museum or to walk on fifth avenue.
Also, the ballet season has begun and the New York City Ballet has amazing performances. wwww.lincolncenter.org

Enjoy!
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Maybe someone could recommend a good restaurant in the Times Square Area for dinner that has great atmosphere, is fun, good food, and under $20.00 an entree.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:05 AM

For good, relatively inexpensive food in the Times Square area, check out Virgil's BBQ. http://www.virgilsbbq.com/
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

The Grayline tour website mentioned a night tour leaving from Times Square between 6pm and 830pm. Has anyone done that one? Any thoughts?
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:12 AM

cliquot1,

If you buy the All Loops 48 hour pass on the Grayline then that's good for the night-time tour as well.

Jim
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jim. Is there an advantage to starting the tour at a certain time? I assume the last tour bus leaves at 830pm for a 2 - 3 hour tour.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:09 AM

carmines is great-- at 44th Stret near Bway

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -