Search

Help me plan 3 days in NYC with 2 teens

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me plan 3 days in NYC with 2 teens

Hi there

We are planning a family trip to USA in july/Aug 2008 which will include 3 days in New York. Our kids will be aged 17 and 15 and none of us have been to New York before. We all love exploring new places, eating, sports. Kids are not too keen (sadly)on the more highbrow cultural sightseeing. I would love some ideas for 'cool' things to do and see whilst we are there. Thanks everyone.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 02:39 AM

Go to a Yankees or a Mets game if they are sports fans
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 03:59 AM

We've been to NYC 3 times for a week each time. I just asked my 16 year old son what I should reply and he said...

Well, "obviously" they will want to go shopping for cool clothes and they will like the Empire State Bldg. Ride the Staten Island ferry to see the Statue of Liberty but don't go to the island - it's boring. See any show!!! and walk around Central Park.

There you have it- the advice from a teenager!

You will all have a great time just walking around and taking the subway and "finding" NYC without much of a plan.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:21 AM
mp

Teens will probably love cruising the East and West Village neighborhoods - and the lower East side. Do a preliminary search here with the phrase "teens and New York City" and you will find many threads.

In July and August, a morning spent along the Hudson River can be great fun for sports minded kids. At Chelsea Piers there is a great indoor skating rink, a fast speedboat that goes up and down the Hudson River (The Chelsea Screamer) a golf driving range and batting cages, skateboard and roller blade rentals, kayaking, sailing and tennis courts. Along the Hudson River is a wonderful bike path, too. Check out http://www.hudsonriverpark.org
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:35 AM

The NYwatertaxi.com has a hop on/off ticket at that time of year. It's a great way to see the city. You'll also get to see the Statue of Liberty. Get on in midtown, either on the east side at 34 st. or the west side at 44 st. and you'll head south and be able to explore the village, Battery Park, South STreet Seaport, even Brooklyn etc. It's fun to go to Brooklyn on the taxi, get out and explore and then walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. Stop for pizza at Grimaldi's and ice cream or chocolate while you're in Brooklyn. The only downside to it is there's only 1 boat every hour from a given dock and they don't wait around!

If you go to a baseball game, nywaterway.com also has a ferry service to get to Yankee stadium and the water taxi has service to Shea Stadium.

There are some cool walking tours. If they like eating, foodsofny.com has some popular eating tours of the village and Chelsea where you get to taste small portions you couldn't do on your own. There's a pizza tour of Brooklyn that will also get you a look at Coney Island.
http://www.bknypizza.com/pizza.html

I think you've now got more than you can see in 3 days!
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM

Top of the Rock (observation tower at Rockefeller Center) is a lot nicer than ESB if you only have time for one.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Empire State Building, a Broadway show, Times Square, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, walking up fifth ave. to Central Park, Central Park, Greenwich Village, a Yankee game, pizza (Lombardi's, John's, Grimaldi's to name a few), walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn (maybe after a stop at Grimaldi's). Don't be afraid to force a little culture on them. They might like the Museum of Natural History (which has an IMAX and planetarium). If they like MTV, the studios are in Times Square, and they could try to get into TRL. You could also try for David Letterman tickets.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM

At that time of year, I highly recommend the 1.5 hour Circle Line sightseeing boat tour that departs from the Hudson river side (just south of the Air and Sea museum) and covers the lower half of Manhattan. You get a lovely view of the Statue of Liberty without the terrible security hassle of the boat ride to the island.

Our teens found Ellis Island very boring, unfortunately. So with only 3 days, that's the best way to really get an appreciation of Manhattan as an island, plus great photo ops for the Statue.

Agree that top of Rockefeller Center is much better viewing than ESB. Plus, you'll want to see that area anyway. St. Patricks Cathedral is nearby and quite beautiful.

I also think it is nice to visit the Wall St. and Battery Park area.

If they can tolerate only one museum, then I'd make it the Metropolitan Museum of Art (you don't have to see it all, but the ancient temples are great). Plus it is a nice walk south from there, through Central Park down to the Plaza Hotel, 5th Avenue, the Apple Store, FAO Schwartz, etc. You could do lunch at Tavern on the Green and catch a hansom cab (horse drawn) cab ride through the park.

Our kids (teens) also loved Bryant Park which is just behind the NY Public Library. Last summer they were showing outdoor movies in the evening where you can picnic on the grass and watch the movie on a warm summer night. Or just grab a Starbucks coffee from the corner across from the park and sit and people watch. It's fascinating.

There are street fairs every Sunday (from Spring through Fall)where they close off certain streets for several blocks. Lots of fun and funky shopping plus
varied street foods and people watching. You can find schedules online.

Lastly - definitabely see at least one Broadyway show.

Note: I'm guessing you might be British from the use of the term "whilst." I'm from California but spent last weekend in NYC and all I heard were English accents - especially Christmas shopping at Macy's! My goodness, the pound is strong vs. the dollar right now.

Unfortunately, I'll be going the other direction (to London) in the spring...
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Teens that age usually love the Broadway show Rent.

The village area would probably be considered very 'cool' to them. It is kind of a college town with NYU right there. Washington Square Park and Union Sqare Park are always loaded with young people, also St. Marks Place. There are also tons of restaurants in this area so it would be a good destination around meal times just to explore and grab a bit.

If they like to shop, the Soho/Village/Nolita/Lower East SIde area have an interesting variety. ALso in the summer there are always street fairs on the weekends with vendors selling all kinds of things.

I think a baseball game is also a great idea if they are sports fans. Either team's stadium is easily reached by subway. If you are in NY at the end of AUgust, the qualifying matches for the US Open are in progress and certain days you can go for free and watch the matches. You can also rent bikes or rollerblades and ride along the west side, the path runs almost the entire length of the island.

For food, the E. Village has a great variety of restaurants of every imaginable type of cuisine (Indian, Polish, Thai, Vegan, etc) and many very reasonable.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 07:31 AM
dmlove

If they like MTV, the studios are in Times Square, and they could try to get into TRL. You could also try for David Letterman tickets.

If they do want to try to get into TRL, they have to line up hours and hours before the show. As for Letterman, you have to be 18 (they might (but might not) waive that for your 17 year old, but not for the 15 year old).

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM

My kids (one 12, the other younger) really like the USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. Near it is one of the departure points for several of the cruises around Manhattan Island. The one my kids chose was "The Beast," a half-hour (or so) ride on a speedboat that goes out past the Statue of Liberty and back. Very teen-oriented; the "guide" jokes with the kids, and has a water gun, and they play music during the ride. (I admit, I enjoyed it too.)

My son, who was taken to Ellis Island by his grandparents when he was 10, also thought it was rather boring.

Times Square at night. Even though they're teens, they'll probably like the Worlds Biggest Toys R Us. And there's an M&M store around there somewhere.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
dmlove

Times Square at night. Even though they're teens, they'll probably like the Worlds Biggest Toys R Us. And there's an M&M store around there somewhere.

Even better - the giant Virgin Records.

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 06:03 PM
mp

The Intrepid has been towed to dry dock for renovation - it will be back in another year or so.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Just returned from NYC with two teens. they loved Top of the Rock(called all their friends from there), but partly because they went by themselves while I went to a play.
Their favorite day was one spent in Central Park people watching. We did the New York Party Shuttle 5 hour tour. No partying involved-just a convenient way to hit all the "must" sights including riding the Staten Island ferry, getting dropped off with the guide at a number of places. The guide was a very hip musician type that they bonded with. We aren't tour type people, but it was a great history of the city and way to see a lot. Then you can go back to places you want more time in. The others on the tour were fairly young and from all over the world.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM

DEFINITELY Check out the "Taste of Brooklyn" pizza tour that someone else mentioned. What do teens love more than Pizza? Check out www.bknypizza.com
Its a little pricey ($75pp) but its a good couple of hours long and includes good old fashioned NY pizza. A lot of people come to the city and dont realize how amazing Brooklyn actually is. Youll stop at 2 pizza places and also have a tour of brooklyn which includes the sites of some famous movies and Coney Island and great photo opportunities with the bridge in the backdrop.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM

My teen LOVES NYC. I have yet to meet a teen who doesn't love NYC. And I bet your kids will also really enjoy a broadway show. I suggest you get tickets now for Wicked.

I also agree on not getting off the ferry to go to the Statue of Liberty. Just see it from the water. Find a sidewalk cafe in the village and sit outside and eat. I also hear that the TOp of the Rock has become more popular than the Empire State Building. Walk down Fifth Avenue and check out Central Park.

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 05:23 AM

You got some really great advice. My kids are much smaller than yours, but something that works great is to get them the audio tours in the museums. It keeps them busy and entertained and make them feel important. They might even have learnt something. And take them to the Met, the variety there is amazing, and it is not only paintings. They could see an egyptian temple, a mummy, a Samurai outfit, Greek statues - something there should interest them. The American Museum of Natural History has an amazing planetarium show. I would try that, even if you skip the rest of the museum.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM

Ditto to responses about the Statue...Top of the Rock...also just walking around Times Square...The Virgin Records store is 3 levels, and my son loves that. We just went to the Top of the Rock and it was awesome; I only regret that we went around 10PM and all the shops...coffee, snack, anything was closed. I have heard the Rainbow Room is nice, but haven't been...we tried but no sneakers (tennis shoes)allowed. The Ice Skating there at Rockfeller Center is nice...Also Central Park for sure...I always like to visit the John Lennon Memorial there...
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM

I just asked my 17 and 18 year old what they liked best in NYC....
Empire State Bldg
China town
Museum of Natural History (split decision with Metropolitan Museum of Art
Baseball game (again split decision between Shea & Yankes Stadium)
Walking around Times Square, Battery Park - Street vendors & hot dogs from Street carts