Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yikes- Did I make a mistake booking Denver Doubletree on Quebec Street?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night I booked the Doubletree on Quebec Street in Denver. I had looked at many reviews before doing so and it sounded ok. Today as I was looking at some stuff on Denver online, I stumbled upon murder stats and it appears my hotel is in a bad area, something I hadn't seen mentioned on travel reviews. I'm bringing my extended family, which includes some kids. I prepaid and now I'm quite alarmed that everybody is going to be freaked out when they see the neighborhood. Can anybody give me a good idea of what to expect as far as personal safety in this area? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 08:44 AM

This hotel is in the old Stapleton airport area, which has been redeveloped into retail/residential neighborhood. It's not a slum by any means. If you walk across Quebec (which you can), you'll find yourself in a nice shopping/dining area which I think you'll find perfectly acceptable for your family. Crime statistics can be misleading. I've not heard of anything news-worthy happening in that area in a long time! Check out: http://www.stapletondenver.com/
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 09:32 AM

tekwriter is correct. That Doubletree is perfectly nice. The neighborhood behind it can be a bit iffy, though, but more so in the past.

Now that Stapleton has been re-developed, the area across Quebec from the Doubletree is nice, with new residential neighborhoods, schools, shops and restaurants. 29th street in Stapleton, at Quebec, has a few food choices. We like Udi's: http://udisfood.com/cafes/Udi-s-Bread-Cafe-at-Stapleton.

Will you have a car? Because the Doubletree is not close to many visitor sites. Probably free parking at the Doubletree, though.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the responses. I will have a car.

One of the things I read about was a murder a block or two away from the hotel in January of this year, along with plenty of other murders in the last 5 years.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 10:53 AM

The residential neighborhood west of Quebec has been iffy, going back for several years. Because of the airplane noise directly across Quebec when Stapleton was Denvers airport. It is still not an area that is improving much. It does not have much to offer right now, except for its proximity to the successful Stapleton re-development. Used to be gangs running that area, so you will see murder statistics in that zip code.

There are better locations, to be sure, but just act as you would in a more urban setting and stay safe. It is too bad, but I would not suggest walking west of Quebec.

Auto break-in in the parking lot is probably your biggest threat. Like anywhere else, don't leave valuables in the car.

To get to a nice neighborhood driving from there, go south on Quebec. The Lowry AFB re-development is at Second street. At 6th, turn right and drive that pretty parkway. At Colorado Blvd, turn left and go to Third Street. This will take you into the upscale outdoor shops of Cherry Creek North. Lots of restaurants there. The Cherry Creek mall is across the street.

If you only come and go driving on I-70 to the hotel, you will not be taking a 'scenic route'.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM

PS Turn right at Third street
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Peace.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:00 PM

What are you planning to do in Denver? Need ideas?
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

My time there is so short, just three nights, with two days to actually do anything. One day we will go to Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak. The other day is up in the air. Any suggestions for hikes in the Denver area? I would also be interested in Boulder. I'll be meeting up with a large number of extended family members, so I won't necessarily have much control over itinerary (contrary to my normal mode of travel as I love to plan, plan, plan and control everything). Anything good to do in Denver in the evening, from about 6 pm onward that is family friendly? Ages in the party range from 3 to 70!!
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Regarding hikes, there are lots to do in Denver. But since you are interested in Boulder, I suggest you go there to hike Chautauqua Park. You could catch dinner at their very nice restaurant. Dining on their porch in the evening is one of our all-time favorite things to do.

It is an easy 35 minute drive from your hotel: take Quebec north to I-270 W toward Westminster/Boulder/I-76/I-25. Follow signs to Boulder, which takes you onto the 'Boulder turnpike'. Get off on Baseline, and drive up the hill. Chautauqua Park will be on your left. Or continue up the hill to the Flagstaff overlook, which gives you a good view of the Continental Divide.

There is tons to do in the evenings in Denver. Take a look at this site:
http://www.denver.org/events/kids-families