Reload this Page >

Yes, I've done my homework, but...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:30 AM
Paul

I've checked this site. I've checked the web in general. Could someone please tell me how long it takes to drive from Napa to downtown San Francisco? Times for peak and non-peak traffic would be appreciated.

Also, we have a timeshare resort in Napa for a week but our main interest is San Francisco (we've never been to either). Should we spend the money for 2 nights in SF, or should we drive back and forth?

Thanks!

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:35 AM
Paul Isaloser

No, Paul, you haven't done your homework. Figure out your travel times, then go stand in the corner.

mapquest.com

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:38 AM
Paul

Mr Isaloser,

Your negativity withstanding, if you've used mapquest before, you'll know that the estimates are very general, and often way off. So, may I suggest you fester in your own critical world, whilst others who want to be helpful will reply.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:42 AM
KL

Actually "Paul Isaloser", YOU'RE the loser.
Anyone who knows anything about both the Bay area and Mapquest knows that the Mapquest info can be TOTALLY unreliable, since all you're going to get is an average.
Drive times will vary by over 300% from peak rush to lull periods.
Makes YOU look pretty foolish for spewing such a stupid retort.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:43 AM
linda

Paul, be nice. The traffic in Napa can be bad. You pretty much have one road and you'll share that with semis.It will take you at LEAST an hour and a half to get to SF. That's not at rush hour either. Do you have RCI timeshare? Nob Hill Inn in SF is on that, can you use the "point system' to split your week? Really, it will be half a day for you driving back and forth, and then you have to find parking in the city, which isn't easy. I would suggest doing Napa during the week, drive over to Sonoma your last day, then take HWy 101 into SF for the weekend. You won't have the commuter/work traffic that way.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:51 AM
Paul

Thank you KL for the rebuttal.

Thank you Linda for the information.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:07 AM
Tom

A few years back we took a ferry from Vallejo to downtown SF and back. Probably not any faster, but it relieves the traffic and parking woes, and the ride is interesting in itself. Even if you decide to spend a night or two in SF you might consider it. A car in the city is a burden.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:13 AM
Paul

Tom,

Were you able to leave your car in Vallejo? I'll have to check a map and see where Vallejo is. I'd assume that's the closest ferry to Napa?

Also, I'd imagine that the cost of the ferry + keeping the rental car in Vellejo is cheaper than $20 per day for parking in SF.

Paul

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:20 AM
xxx

I am a native Californian and have lived in N CA for the past 20 years. I am constantly amazed at what a lame job the map services do at calculating not only the best route but the amount of time they calculate the trip will take. So give Paul a break for not using them.

Paul,
Giving a time for Napa to SF is a challenge because even during non peak times the traffic can be a bummer. Like today for instance, they had to get these big cranes uder the bay bridge so to take the weight off the bridge during this time they stopped traffice over the bridge while the cranes went under so that the bridge could arch up. Now if you had planned to drive over the bridge after the commute hours today you would have been stuck in that! I like the idea of doing Napa and then doing Sonoma and driving into the city from there. Sonoma to the City is shorter and is a nicer drive.

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:34 AM
kalifornia creamin

I gotta side with Mr. Isaloser on this one. Paul is free-riding the boards!

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:50 AM
xxxx

So coming to a travel board to ask a question that wasn't answered by a legitimate search is considered "free riding"?
Yeah, right.
Obviously "kalifornia..." is "Paul Isaloser". Pretty lame comeback, buddy.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:18 PM
Renee

I would definately make time to stay in San Francisco

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:23 PM
Susan

I like Tom's idea of leaving the car in Vallejo and taking the ferry into SF. One of the best things for visitors to do is get out on the water, so you will accomplish that and leave your parking woes behind at the same time. It might not save you time but it will be better for your blood pressure!

Paul, people are getting great deals on priceline on SF hotels. Give biddingfortravel.com a look and see what hotels people are getting and what they've paid. I definitely recommend spending one or two nights in the city during your stay. Have fun!