Search

Berekley Nigt Life

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:57 AM
Pop

Berekley Nigt Life

What is there to do in Berkeley on a Saturday night? Looking for a good, fun place to dine and listen to music for a small group of people in their 30's. Interested in Jazz or Blues music and great ambience. Appreciate your tips on Berkeley's Hot Spots!!

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:05 AM
alex

Think it is about 15 miles away from Berkeley, but the town of Walnut Creek has numerous restaurants and several bars.

While visiting that area recently, we had a nice dinner at Prima on North Main St.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:22 AM
Susan

Pop, I don't know why Alex is recommending you drive to Walnut Creek for nightlife when you are in Berkeley ....

The best jazz club in the bay area is Yoshi's at Jack London Square in Oakland, right next to Berkeley. It's also a great Japanese restaurant if you are interested in dining there. Check out their website, www.yoshis.com. There are other nice clubs for jazz in Berkeley, but I'll let a Berkeley local answer your questions there. Have fun!

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:00 AM
Pop

Funny you should mention Yoshi's. That was our first choice! Although I appreciate the Walnut Creek suggestion, we did want to stick to something closer to Berkeley.
What type of crowd does Yoshi's cater to and how would you describe the atmoshpere?

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:08 PM
gail

Yoshi's is one of our favorites too. The Bento box is wonderful if you like Sushi. Check out the web site for the shows.Big names will require reservations. It is trendy,sleek wood and a clean, Japanese environment.Lots of people wearing black! We just went to Verbena too. It is very good (Oakland) People w/ reservations are not seated by windows at Yoshi"s from what I have noticed.They have a great martinin bar selection.If you like jazz go no further!
Berkley is great too! We went to O'Chame for lunch. This area is next to the railroad tracks. It was wonderful. That whole street has trendy shops like Crate and Barrel and Builders/Architect Bookstore.Patio stores etc...Making a decision for lunch or dinner is difficult with all those competing smells.If you are in Berkley you really should experience Chez Panisse. we tried without reservations (no luck).Have fun!