yellowstone trip help

Search

yellowstone trip help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yellowstone trip help

I need some help with weighing a couple of options. We will leave Yellowstone on our June trip by taking Beartooth Pass. We need to overnight somewhere on our way to Devils Tower/Custer/Rushmore. We have thought Billings would be the right way but then saw some info on Sheridan and it looks like a more interesting spot. If we leave the park in late afternoon, what are we looking at time wise? Do we have to miss Little Big Horn if we go the Sherian route? Can someone please give me the pros and cons of each route? What would be the latest we could stay in Yellowstone and still see most of the scenery of the area before it gets dark. Do I need four hours to get over Beartooth? Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM

ttt
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM

On your last day when you leave YS and go over the Beartooth you will not make it much past Red Lodge. If you would like to go over the Big Horns, which I would suggest you do, that can be done. Take 308 out of Red lodge to Belfry, north on 72 and then south on US-310 and overnight in Lovell, this can be done if you get an early start out of the park. The next day you may want to stop at Medicine Mtn and take the mile hike to the Medicine Wheel. This route (US-14A) is the least traveled road in and out of YS.

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/beartooth/

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.cle...ures/00303.htm
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Here is some information that may give you an idea of a time line for a great driving trip from YSNP, over the Beartooth Hwy and to Mount Rushmore.

We were staying in Grant Village. departed Grant Village at 6:00 a.m on the way to Mammoth Hot Springs (stopped twice for bison) and had breakfast in Mammoth Hot Srings (visited with the Elk herd lounging in the town square), departed along the road to the North East Entrance. Stopped several times on the way over the Beartooth Hwy (Great scenary)and had lunch at the Bridge Creek Back County Grill in Red Lodge (Great grilled burger), exited Red Lodge East on State Hwy 308 over to Belfry and took Hwy 72/120 south to Cody. Arrived in Cody at aprox., 4:00 p.m.
Stayed overnight in Cody to see the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum (Well worth the layover and visit). Visited the Museum at 9:00 a.m., after breakfast and departed at approx., 11:00 on Hwy 14 through part of the Big Horn National Forest (great drive through "open range county), to Grey Bull, Burgess Junction, and Interstate 90 to Mooncroft and then Hwy 14 to the Devils Tower. Arrived at the Tower at approx., 3:00 p.m. Departed the Towers at approx., 5:30 for Rapid City and our cabin the Custer State.
We had a great drive up to this point HOWEVER, in Rapid City, I took the first exit I saw pointing to the Custer State Park (big mistake, should have taken the second exit). We arrived in Keystone at approx., 7:30, it was dark, and raining. Take my word for it, you do not....want to drive across the "Needles Highway" between Keystone and Custer State Park in the rain and darkness looking for State Park cabins. By the time I thought we would be approaching the Canadian border, we turned around and headed back to Keystone. At the top of the mountain we say a sign (finally) pointing the in direction we had just gone, saying Custer State Park 7 miles. So we turned around and finally entered the state park, crossed the Canadian border and still no cabins or park site in sight. (PS, it was still dark and raining and alful lonesome by this time.....LOL.) So needless to say, I gave up and returned to Keystone and got a great deal at the Holiday Inn Express (I must have looked shell shocked and stunned and they felt sorry for me and gave me suite for the price of a regular room.) Called the State park and while we had to pay for the night, I cancelled our 2nd and 3rd nights there and stayed in the suite at the Holiday Inn (highly recommended). So the moral of this story is, don't try to find this park site in the dark......Stay in Keystone and drive the Needles Highway in the daytime...
Hope this gives you a better idea of a possible time line for your trip.

Have a great vacation.
Lee
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:20 AM

I liked your "Dark and Stormy Night" story, the weather can get nasty in the Black Hills. Even more fun if you are camping.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:16 AM

I agree with the above post in that lodging near/in Red Lodge would be the best choice. We stayed at a bed and breakfast there, but there are alot of options. I would also give the Beartooth pass at least 4 hours. Magnificent drive, but not fast! We also had dinner near Red Lodge at The Bear Creek Salon, a steak house that has pig races! It sounds pretty crazy, but the place is packed (made advance reservations for dinner!), and was so fun!