Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave and Badlands - Lodging

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to South Dakota in mid-May to visit the National Parks and Memorial. We arrive on Wednesday about noon and depart on Saturday afternoon. I have seen some lodging recommendations in this forum, but would like some advice on timing. We would like to take advantage of any activities at night at Crazy Horse, Mount Rushmore and Badlands. Considering that, does it make sense for us to change hotels each night or book in Rapid City and make trips back and forth? We don't have a good sense of how long it takes to drive from Rapid City to National Parks and Badlands. Or is there another central location that is easy to access these sites that we should consider?

If anyone has recent experience with lodging around Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer Park, Wind Cave National Park, Badlands, we would love to hear your recommendations.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 05:10 PM

We were in South Dakota almost two years ago. We switched hotels but we were there for two weeks. We flew into Rapid City and stayed at the Country Inns and Suites which was well located, clean and very reasonably priced. Badlands National Park was at least 1 1/2 hours from Rapid City. We stayed at the Badlands Inn which was comfortable and clean. You have to decide whether, after a day of touring and whatever evening program you want to see (and there might not be any in mid-May) would you be up for such a long drive back to a hotel in Rapid City. My memory is that Crazy Horse/Mount Rushmore was only about 1 hour from Rapid City so it would be a shorter drive back to a hotel in Rapid City if you decide to stay in just one hotel. We stayed t the K Bar S Lodge in Keystone which was very well located for Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore. We have friends who went to South Dakota and just stayed in the Country Inns and Suites in Rapid City and did everything as day trips from there. It worked well for them but they didn't do any evening activities in the Badlands area.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input. I think we will switch lodging. I am pretty sure that we would rather not drive for 1 1/2 hours after touring all day. We will be traveling light so moving luggage won't be a real issue.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM

I was in SD/WY in summer '08. Flew into Rapid City late and headed for Keystone and spent 1st nt at the Rushmore View Inn. It was an older motel, but clean, and after a disaster of a trip getting there, the souvenir mug and taffy was welcoming! At least someone liked me!

Spent all day at Mt. Rushmore and headed to Sylvan Lake Lodge for 3 nts in Custer State Park. Make sure to drive the scenic roads...the pigtail curves are wonderful between Mt. Rushmore and the park! That was a great central location to return to Mt. Rushmore for the evening program, Crazy Horse during the day and night, day trip to Badlands, time on the Wildlife Loop and Needles in Custer State Park, Wind Cave, and Jewel Cave. I highly recommend all these sights! Several good restaurants in the park and in Custer too.

I would have preferred to stay in the park 1 nt at Badlands NP and to visit the missile site nearby, but I didn't have time...it's a full day of driving, going to visitor's center, and enjoying the NP. I also didn't see Devils' Tower on the way to WY so you might consider that.

Since you are arriving noon on Wed. and leaving Sat., I think you should spend all 3 nights in Custer State Park. Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM

You can find decent lodgings in the towns of Custer, Keystone and Hill City as well. Mid may is somewhat off season by the way.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. RedRock, I did not know that mid-May is off season. We are assuming that everything will be open and that the weather will be OK. Should we be concerned or will we just enjoy the place without great crowds?

It was a spur-of-the-moment decision because of cheap airfare and our schedule and my husband's desire to see Mount Rushmore.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Make sure to take warm clothing if you plan to go to the evening lighting ceremony at Mt Rushmore. We were there a few years ago during Memorial Day weekend and nearly froze at night during the lighting ceremony. While driving to Deadwood we drove through sleet at one point. We had to buy sweatshirts to wear under the light jackets we had packed.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:32 AM

Hill City or Keystone would be your best locations within the Black Hills for easy back & forth sightseeing. I would suggest spending either your first or last evening in Rapid City if you intend to visit the Badlands, which is further East from the Black Hills, easy drive on I-94 both going & returning. But the Black Hills alone has plenty to see in your time span, if you want to save Badlands for a later date.
Wind Cave and Jewel Caves best, Mammoth Hot Springs (prehistoric mammoth dig)very interesting, Mt. Rushmore & Crazy Horse monuments and Custer State Park drives alone will fill most of your time. (First three places are great sites to fill a rainy day!) Weather could be anywhere from sunny & 70 to damp & 50, so bring slacks,layering & good shoes.
Have fun!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM

don't know if you are adventurous, but consider doing the Wild Cave Tour at Jewel Cave or Wind Cave.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:03 AM
LHS

Keep an eye on the weather forecast, it has been a cool, windy spring. Supposed to snow this week, but it will melt quickly if it does.
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone your input. We leave next Wednesday and hope that the weather cooperates. We are really looking forward to visiting this part of the country.