Please Help Me Decide Where to Stay in the Black Hills

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting the Black Hills with my three sons (18, 15, and 9) in late June of 2007 on our way to Yellowstone. I am debating whether to stay in Hill City or Custer State Park. The park has motel rooms available at the State Game Lodge and lodge rooms and cabins at Sylvan Lake Lodge.

I like the idea of being in a quieter, more beautiful area, but the reservationist at the State Park said it may take 45 mins. to an hour to reach Mount Rushmore and that area depending on traffic. I don't want to eat up our two days in the area sitting in traffic.

While in the area, we are planning to see Mount Rushmore in the daytime and at the lighting ceremony in the evening, see Crazy Horse, do a little hiking in the Needles, visit Jewel Cave if there is time, and do a little shlock like the alpine slide. Given that itinerary, which location would be better?

Does anyone have experience with traffic in the area at that time of year? Also, the Sylvan Lake cabins are not air conditioned. The reservationist said it is at a high enough elevation that no A/C is not a problem. Is this true?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I was in the Black Hills in August & it was very hot. I don't think elevation is a factor there to cool it off.

We stayed in 2 different locations for convenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the opportunity to stay in State Parks or National Parks, but this decision is purely financial.

So we stayed in regular motels in Custer & Keystone.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:35 AM
TAW

We were there in early June this year and the weather was great. No A/C needed. We stayed in Custer which was very convenient to Mt Rushmore, Chief Crazyhorse, etc. As we drove through Custer State Park on various routes and saw the places you are considering my thought was that, while very nice locations, it would take longer to get to the various attractions because of the roads. I wouldn't want to do that extra driving every day. This is just my opinion. We went into the park nearly every day anyway and drove the various routes thru it. Custer is a beautiful park! Another thought is if you stay in one of the towns you will have more selections for restaurants which would be good since you have children. Either way you will have a great time. Are you planning to go to the Badlands also? Try to stop at Devils Monument on way to Yellowstone.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Laurie--actually, the prices in Custer State Park are less than the motels I checked in Keystone. I think you are right about needing A/C. TAW--how far is it from Custer to the State Park? I thought they were close to each other. We do plan to visit the Badlands and Devil's Tower.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:34 AM

We stayed at the State Game Lodge a year ago in June. The weather was great and the park very nice. We arrived in the afternoon and were able to do some venturing before dark. We got up early to find the buffalo herd (ask if you don't see it), traveled more around the park and then headed off to Mt. Rushmore (it was really, really, hot that day). And then on to Deadwood for the evening. While I would agree that's a lot of travel time if you stay in the park, I think it would be well worth it. It was kinda cool staying in the same place that Presidents have stayed. Lots to do out there. I wish I could go back. Have a great time.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Minnie--Did you stay in the Lodge or in the motel units there? The only thing available for our stay are the motel units. I like the looks of the State Game Lodge better than Sylvan Lake, but I have read that the motel at the State Game Lodge is not much.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM
TAW

Custer is right outside of one of the entrances to the State park...about a mile or so if I remember correctly.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:10 PM

I was in Black Hills this summer on our way to Yellowstone. We were there in July and it was hot so air conditioning could be needed. We stayed in Keystone at the Best Western Presidents View Inn. The rooms were very nice clean and very close to Mount Rushmore it was about 10 minutes up the road. We visited Custer State Park and stopped at the State Game Lodge.I didn't see the rooms so can't comment on those. Mt.Rushmore is a ride but I didn't think the traffic was bad anywhere in that area. One thing to keep in mind is if you plan to do the lighting ceremony at Rushmore the roads going back to Custer Park are dark and winding. Custer State Park is wonderful it is a must see. Don't miss driving the needles highway it's great. I wish I was going back. Any other questions I would be glad to help.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM

We stayed at the Sylvan lake lodge in August for 4 days. We did Mt Rushmore both during the day and the evening lighting ceremony and we hiked needles and did Crazy horse. I thought it was a perfect location.It was not hot, the food was great. We did you trip in reverse we came from Yellowstone. I did an amazing amount of research and would be happy to help you.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Hard decision. We stayed in Hill City which worked out well. We entered the area from the south and did a late afternoon visit to Wind Cave before heading to Hill City. The next morning we visited Mount Rushmore and then headed to Custer State Park and the Needles Highway. We saw Jewel Cave the next morning before heading home.

Hill City was a good location for us since we did a loop tour of the area. But Sylvan Lake is beautiful and I would consider staying there on a future visit. I would be a little concerned about the lack of AC at the end of June, though. Even at 6000 - 7000 ft (I'm estimating the altitude) it can be hot.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies! Mcmars--did you stay in the lodge or the cabins? If the lodge, was it noisy? Was it okay driving back after the lighting ceremony? Mmouse52 raises something that had concerned me--dark, winding roads. Wtm--where did you stay in Hill City?

Right now, I am considering staying in Hill City for one night so that we can easily see Mt. Rushmore in the early morning and at night, and then Custer State Park for one night to do that area.

Does anyone have any feedback on whether you would stay in the motel at the State Game Lodge or in Sylvan Lake Lodge? Thanks so much!!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Digbydog, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Hill City. When we stayed there 3 years ago it was the newest hotel in the area, had an OK (nothing special) continental breakfast and a pool that your 9 year should enjoy.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks WTM!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:03 PM

I took a trip in Sept and stayed at the lodge at Sylvan Lake in the park. I'll confess the roads up the main Needles Highway were very windy and narrow and I wouldn't drive them at night. There was a less windy route from Custer to Sylan Lake Lodge (as compared to the more northern entrance, but I didn't realize it until the second or third day) The lodge itself and the common areas was very nice, but the rooms were nothing special. Pretty basic and seemed like a second tier motel in terms of furnishing (not second rate, but more of a modest motel). However the staff was amazing and so nice! I didn't go into the cabins, but they seemed like basic ski type cabins, nothing too luxorious. Plus it was very nice to be somewhere that seemed like a destination in itself. It was great to come back and take a stroll around the lake. I didn't feel like my days activities were over when I got back to the lodge.

If the room is really more of a place to sleep while you drive to other locations, then you might do better in Hill City, especially if you want quick access to more fast food options. Hill City might be more practical, but the lodges seem a little more "special" even though the facility itself isn't too fancy.

The only "traffic" issues I had was when my car got stuck behind a herd of buffalo on the move and I had to wait for them to finish crossing the road.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:44 AM

We stayed in Keystone and had a look of M.Rushmore from our doorstep.It's very well located for all the interesting sites.Custer park is great too.Dont forget to bring some apples for the donkeys in the park. The only animals you can feed. Paul
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:30 AM
cd

Didbydog
We had reservations at the State Game Lodge and found their dining room to be very good. However, the room we had did not have AC. It was on the third floor and it was very hot outside. We asked to be transfered to the motel which is clean but think motel 6. It was cool but I would take Sylvan Lake Lodge if we went back. We had breakfast there one morning and thought the Lodge was really nice and breakfast on the patio surrounded by trees was very nice.

We found staying in the park to be a treat. I don't remember the drive to Mt Rushmore or Crazy Horse being a problem and I don't remember a lot of traffic.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:33 AM

We stayed on the 3rd floor of the State Game Lodge. The room had a sitting area with lots of windows. The evening cooled off a bit and it was very comfortable. I would agree that the motels rooms looked very ordinary. We didn't get to Sylvan Lake so I can't comment on them. I would keep checking back in case there are cancellations.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:59 AM

June is a good time to visit the Black Hills, fewer people. We have been there dozens of times, over the years and either camp or stay in Custer. The last two years we have stayed at the Dakota Cowboy Motel there. I would not worry about getting stuck in traffic or the time driving, it moves rather well considering the scenic area you will not get board. Do drive the Iron Mountain Road, The Needles Highway and the Wildlife Loop Road. Then there is the 1880 Train...Jewel Cave, Wind Cave etc etc.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:59 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Hill City this summer and I thought it was a good choice. It was cheaper than staying in Keystone. You are going to be doing a lot of driving no matter where you choose to stay. We visited Mt. Rushmore in the late afternoon and then just stayed through the lighting ceremony. My boys enjoyed swimming in Sylvan Lake. If you want more of a camping feel to the trip, stay in Custer State Park. I don't think there is any need for you to switch hotels.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help! I have finally decided to stay in Hill City both nights, rather than deal with moving from one place to another. Plus, it will be nice to have more restaurant choices.