Yellowstone question

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone question

Have 10 days from sept. 16th to sept 26th to visit yellowstone. Many of you say early september is great but how is middle to end of sept.? I don't mind cool weather but is a lot of snow a great possibility? Flying into Jackson and plan 3 nights @ Grand Teton, 4-5 nights in yellowstone and will be leaving from Rapid City, SD. Would you recommend this or should be postpone until next year in early June. Thanks for any help and advise. Gail
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Hi, GailJoe. We are going during almost the exact timeframe. If you click on my screen name, you'll see some threads come up on Yellowstone that'll help answer some of your questions. Or just scroll down on the left and you'll see some other threads that'll have the same kind of info.

Good luck with your planning!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:09 AM

September is the best time to visit Yellowstone. We went twice in September and the weather was wonderful.Paul
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Went there this past September. Arrived Labor Day weekend. It was perfect. No crowds, great weather, but did get snow one day.I say go for it. If you go in June, July, August the crowds will be bad.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Yes, there is the possibility of snow while you're there. We had on the 10th or 11th of September on one of our trips there. Still, in way did it diminished our enjoyment of the trip.
September is indeed a great month to visit that area....the foliages is great, the animal mating season means you'll have many sightings, the crowds are way down. All in all, it far surpassed our summer ventures there.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Some of the lodging facilities will close on September 17 -- the cabins at Old Faithful and at Canyon. Roosevelt closes before then.

Other places will be open until October or even a little later.

September is a good time to be there as indicated. Yes, it can snow, but the crowds are smaller and you can see without all the jostling.

One drawback is that much of the interpretive program will have ended because the seasonal rangers will have gone back to their normal jobs.

Given the trade-offs, I think you would be there at a good time.

Early June has its drawbacks too.
It can be cold!!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:39 PM

September is going to be a great time to be in Yellowstone. I've been there (3 times) anywhere from May to October and it's always a guess at the weather. Just pack smart with layers to take off or add on as it warrants. I've had to wear boots in May and short sleeves during the day in October. Don't put off your trip. Go and Enjoy!!!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Hi Gail - We had to use an ice scraper early AM in August this summer! Gail
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you advise. You have helped us make the decision to go in September and we are leaving in a little while to visit our local AAA to get a little more info. Plan to stay in the park, still have rooms available. Sincere thanks, Gail & Joe.