Reload this Page >

When to go to Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:18 AM
David

We've decided to take a trip to Yellowstone and we're looking for suggestions on the best time of year. We won't be doing a lot of hiking.

Our primarily concern is avoiding crowds and snow so June and September sound like the more appropriate times. What are the pros and cons to these times of the year?

Thanks,
David

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Frank

David: I will be visiting Yellowstone in mid/late September. My research has confirmed that September offers less crowds, elk rut/bugling, fall colors/golden aspen, cooler, more comfortable temperatures, animals more active and visible (down from higher elevations, animals at their prime ("fattened up";mature antlers, etc); easy loop driving, etc. The downside of September includes many ranger-led tours end on Labor Day, boat rides and horseback tours are over by early September, chance of light snow, and shorter daylight cuts into evening wildlife viewing.
I cannot compare this to a June trip, but feel that both months are probably ideal, offer the usual highly changeable weather, and provide the benefits that a spring or fall landscape can offer. I opted for September based on my personal schedule and the advise of several Yellowstone regulars. Enjoy your trip...and check of the website: www.yellowstone-natl-park.com.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:45 AM
KB

I have been to Yellowstone in Sept also hoping to avoid the crowds. I've never been in the summer so I have nothing to compare it to but it was still very crowded with buses, etc. Also, I have found that the Natl Parks wait the fall to perform maintenance and construction on the roads in the park. This usually involves ONE open lane, while the other lane sits and waits for Pa Kettle to get that last Airstream over the hill so they can pass. Can be frustrating. Best advice is to get out of the car and hike away from it all.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Utahtea

We've never been to Yellowstone in September, but we've been the first week of June and loved it because the crowds hadn't started to come yet. We've been during the summer rush so we know how bad it can get.

Traffic is the worst part of the summer.

Utahtea

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Jill

About two years ago I went to Yellowstone the last week of September. I was amazed at the number of people at Old Faithful (it was sold one at least one of the two nights I was there). It had snowed 3 days before I got there (just a couple of inches in places) so the second story balcony was closed due to icing. And there were some icy patches on the from Canyone Village up to Tower-Roosevelt but there is where we saw a grizzly bear. However, away from Old Faithful area, it was pretty deserted. I thought it was a great time to be there. The days were perfect to be outside although the evenings were quite chilly. Didn't see any fall colors.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:09 PM
mjh

We went last September right after Labor Day. It was fantastic -- no crowds. Our first few days were pretty mild, but one morning we did get a few snow flurries and that day it was chilly. The roads had no snow on them. I'd rather wear a sweater and jacket than fight the crowds. One section had been closed for construction but no construction held us up anywhere else. They publicize the construction schedule. Aren't insects a problem in June?

It was true that some of the ranger programs ended on Labor Day.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Kathy

We went last summer for four nights, mid to late 20's of August because our kids don't start school until the Wednesday after Labor Day. Not crowded but everything still open. I thought it was a great time of the year to go.