Yellowstone Old Faithful Inn room recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Time is getting near to make my park reservation at Old Faithful for next August and I wanted to see if anyone had any words of advice regarding rooms in the Old House. My husband and 2 young daughters aren't picky and don't need fancy...we'd prefer our own bathroom but can do without. We don't mind no A/C but we don't want to be too sweaty at bedtime. Would love a view of the geyser but maybe not (too noisy at night?). Any experiences you can pass along would be helpful!

Thanks!

Christina
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Only the (very old) original rooms are rustic and share a bath. Most of the rooms are modern. Mine had a view of the geyser (just steps away from the window) and was wonderful! It was a very nice room with a bathroom AND teddy bear soaps too!
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Starrs, were you in the Old House? I'd also be interested to know what time of year you went, what floor you were on and how hot the room was at night if you don't mind me asking...
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 11:53 AM

I was there in October. A room on the first floor facing the geyser. It was not hot. It was a modern room just down the hall from the more rustic rooms.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM

You need to be careful at Old Faithful Inn. I have had good rooms and atrocious rooms.

One was in the old wing. It was hotter than the hinges of below, poor bed, and very small. It had a private bath but the shower was so tight that I had trouble turning around. At 6 - 1, 180 I am not exactly Two Ton Toney.

When I turned the shower curtain bar came down and hit me in the head.

When I checked out two days early in disgust, I complained about the @#%$ shower curtain rod or bar.

The clerk was more concerned about my being with it enough to sign the bill than she was about the bump on my head!

My recommendation is get a room in the Snow Lodge. It is usually better.

Old Faithful may have the atmosphere, but ...
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 01:13 PM

My room was gorgeous. I don't know why mine was so much better than the one just described but it was a very nice room with a wonderful bathroom. I'd call and ask the lodge for specifics as to which room type to ask for and which to avoid.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Believe me, I'd love to call the OFI and get the scoop on the best mid-range rooms, but I can't seem to locate a phone number aside from the Xanterra reservations line. I'm hoping that when I call to reserve, I'll get someone with some knowledge of the rooms...if we get there and for some reason it's not what we'd expected, then we'll try to switch rooms.

Bob, I agree that the rooms seem to be "hit or miss," and while your experience sounds like less than a happy one, I have to say that most reviews of the OFI are better so I've got my fingers crossed (I had my heart set on staying there for this first visit)! Oh, and the mid-range rooms in the old house have a tub only - no shower - so my 6'1" husband won't have to worry about any shower curtain attacks (although I think he might be too tall to sit in the tub without scrunching his knees)!

Thanks to you both for sharing!