Old Faithful Inn, Yellowstone NP

Mar 18th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Old Faithful Inn, Yellowstone NP

Planning a trip to YNP summer, 2016. Want to stay in the Old Inn. Are there any two (2) bedroom suites there? Do any of those 2 bedroom suites have nice views of the OF Geyser? Need some info about the various room types available in the Old Inn area, seems pretty scant. I understand to stay there might require reserving a year or more in advance.
Mar 18th, 2015, 12:43 PM

I don't see any two-bedroom suites listed on their website, but there is a toll-free number you can call for more information.
http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...-faithful-inn/

Lee Ann
Mar 18th, 2015, 06:13 PM

Just my opinion. There is no need for a Old Faithful Geyser View from your room. Of course, see it. Heck, see it several times. But, there are other geysers even better, IMOP. Castle and Riverside are 2 that are not to be missed.
Nice that you are planning a year in advance. The best way to do it and it insures that you get the room that you want.
There is a book out that gives detailed info about the rooms in every national park.
Mar 18th, 2015, 07:41 PM

I've stayed there twice and had a geyser view both times and IMO it's DEFINTELY "worth it". There's nothing like watching and hearing that geyser go off just outside your window. We'd sit on the bed and have a private viewing. One of my favorite travel memories ever and I'd still get a geyser view if/when I return. There are no 2 bedroom suites that I'm aware of, but we got adjacent rooms. The geyser view rooms are not the historic rooms but very nice rooms with private baths. The historic rooms have shared baths.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND and yes, book the room ASAP. In fact, plan your trip around when you can get a room at the OFI.
Mar 19th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Starrs, Thankx. Guide book I read, Moon YNP & G. Tetons, mentioned specific room nos. 2024 and 3024 as having best views and mentioned six-person suites, nos. 2002, 2014, 3002, 3014. I called booking site but not too helpful. Any info about those?
Mar 19th, 2015, 02:38 AM

No.
I would be surprised if you're going to get the concessionaire to book specific rooms (#2024 or 3024) other than "geyser view". I just tried to find a map and didn't, but found this listing and they don't mention suites for OFI (they do for other hotels in the park)-
http://www.secretyellowstone.com/tou...n-park-lodging
But if #24 is the best location for the view (per that book) then how can #2 and #14 have great views?

To be honest, you're going to be lucky to get a geyser view room for your specific dates or date range.
"I called booking site but not too helpful"
They are the ones to ask. Since you are calling a central reservation number, they have the info before them. You may want to call the inn itself to ask for more specific info - but they won't be open for months. Maybe someone else will know more. As I remember we were about 3 rooms down on the left from the viewing room that connects the old part to the new part (walking from the lobby). The first time there was a Trex like decking between the inn and the geyser (first time I'd ever saw the composite decking that lasts "forever") and the next time (4 years ago) the decking was gone. You are looking at the geyser through a window screen so for good photos, it's better to go outside, but it's a rush (pun not intended) to see the geyser erupt just yards from your window throughout the afternoon/night of your stay. One last thought - if that books lists specific rooms, there's going to be a lot of people asking for those rooms.
Mar 19th, 2015, 03:02 AM

I uploaded a photo from the last trip. It's a picture of the reflection in the glass of the print in the room, with the window and the view of the geyser outside the room. (The geyser is not erupting in this photo). The pine trees had really grown up since I was there last (and are still growing). There was one tree in the line of sight of the geyser from our room but a perfectly clear line of sight from the adjacent room (others in our party stayed there). Because of the tree(s), I think I'd choose the higher floor option. I don't know if any of that helps. I just don't think you'll be able to specify specific rooms but I'd book a geyser view room and ask for the best view possible. Also, make reservations at the dining room for dinner. We ate most of our meals other than that one at Hamilton's next door to the inn (to the right as you look at the inn from the front).
Mar 19th, 2015, 05:28 AM

My geyser view room had a tree in front of the window so there was little view. But as starrs mentioned it was a nice room with a private bath. There is a little balcony on the 2nd Floor (I think) that has a small seating area and a fantastic view. I enjoyed that area more than my room for geyser watching, so while I'd still book a newer room I wouldn't pay extra for the view unless it was guaranteed.
Mar 19th, 2015, 06:27 AM
cd

As we were leaving Ole Faithful Inn we saw a family room that housekeeping was cleaning, it had two rooms but not a view, and I don't remember the room #. As wtm003 states we enjoyed the deck on the 2nd floor a lot! They had benches for sitting and a few tables with chairs. We would take a bottle of wine and get a table! Fun!
Mar 19th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thankx all. I've been told by employees that it is not possible to book any certain room, but when the rooms seem so particularized by the peculiar architecture of the Inn, it begs the question of who gets those particular rooms. Anyone know?
Mar 19th, 2015, 06:48 AM

What?
The room descriptions are clear.
You can stay in the front original historic rooms. Shared baths.
You cab stay in the new modern rooms with private baths.
The ones facing the geyser are geyser view.

Our rooms were the third and fourth from the 2nd floor viewing room they describe.
(I think. Maybe the 2nd and 3rd)
Mar 20th, 2015, 12:33 PM

Will they let you book a certain type?
They seem to have more than of each type.
Mar 20th, 2015, 01:02 PM

I always feel lucky to snag a room at Old Faithful Inn at all--it is so popular for good reason. We were content with rooms on the second floor of the main building that had bathrooms down the hall, in fact. They were very historic and just really cool.