Trip Report: San Antonio, Austin and Georgetown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from a visit to San Antonio and the Austin area, spending three days at each. We retired in 2007, and are looking to relocate from Wisconsin where we've both always lived. The main reason for the trip was to investigate the Del Webb communities in those places, but we also wanted to get a sense of what it would be like to live in Texas. I've been there several times, and felt like it would be a good place for us. My wife had only been in Dallas for a few days on business, and wasn't too upbeat about it. We got back last night so it's all fresh in my memory, which means this will probably be a really long report.

We flew into San Antonio, and picked up our rental car. I got a good deal on it from Priceline, and will definitely use Priceline to rent cars in the future. It was a Hyundai Sonata from Avis, a pretty nice car, and it came with XM satellite radio which was cool. We had a heck of a time getting out of the rental car area due to construction and lack of signage. As you'll see, this was a common theme for our first three days. Eventually we found our way onto 410, and we were off.

But not for long... After a couple of miles there was a warning that westbound 410 was completely closed between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM. So we got off the highway, and were on side roads along with everybody else that was on 410 west. It was bumper-to-bumper, with traffic just barely moving, or stopped completely. We have a Garmin GPS, which has served us well all over the country. It took us over 2 hours to get to our hotel - Radisson Hill Country - when it was supposed to take 25 minutes. What a brutal start to our visit! If you have to close the interstate for 12 hours, why not do it overnight?

Anyway, we checked in at the Radisson. We got a huge discount through Del Webb, and only had to pay $35 per night. It's a decent hotel, but it kind of seemed beat up. I suspect it was due for renovation, and now that it's the off season they can refresh the place. But for $35 we weren't complaining! Once we were unpacked we drove to a Rudy's that was just down the road. I know that true barbecue fans turn up their noses at Rudy's, but we had a real good meal. It was Cathy's first time eating at a Texas barbecue joint, and she came away impressed.

The next day we headed to the Sun City community, which was in the Alamo Ranch development. We wanted to hit a Starbucks on the way, and thought we could use our Garmin GPS to find one. The GPS had us driving all over the place, yet we never did find the coffee shop. I don't know what was going on, but our Garmin consistently gave us wrong directions while we were in San Antonio. Part of it is all of the construction, I guess, but it even messed up where there was no construction. Like it would say "turn left onto west 1604," but west 1604 was to the right, and east was to the left. So we'd take our best guess, which was right about 50% of the time. Our Garmin has been real reliable in the past, but it definitely wasn't much help in San Antonio. But we got to Sun City, and viewed some models and the community in general. It was OK, but didn't really grab us.

We went to Luby's for lunch. I wanted to Cathy to try some things that we can't get up north, and cafeterias are one of those things. Afterwards we went to Fatso's, a sports bar on Bandera Rd. We're big Packers fans, and it was time for the NFC championship game. We ate more food, met a lot of friendly guys at the bar, and watched the games. BTW - one of the things I always liked about Texas was how friendly people were, and Cathy now knows what I mean. It was a real good time (sadly, ending in deep depression).

Our last day in S. A. (MLK day) we wanted to check out the Riverwalk. We started by going to Mi Tierra for chilaquiles (another thing that's hard to find here). They were excellent! Then we walked to the Riverwalk and went completely around it. We shopped, had a few drinks, toured the Texas Ranger museum inside the Buckhorn Bar, and went through the Alamo. We had a lot of fun, even though it was in the 50s and rainy the whole day. When we got back to Mi Tierra we had margaritas and some bakery there and headed back to the Radisson. Our Garmin got us downtown and back without a hitch, so maybe it's just the outlying areas' maps that are messed up.

The next morning we checked out and headed to Austin. We made a slight detour and went through Lockhart. The town has three places that are considered to serve hall of fame caliber food. We stopped at Smitty's, because it's the oldest (depending on how you look at it). We ordered up a half pound of brisket, a half pound of prime rib and a sausage ring. They've got a few side dishes, but they didn't look too appealing so we stuck to the meat. The food was unbelievable! The prime rib may have been the single best piece of food I've ever eaten.

We headed to Austin with full bellies, and got to our hotel, which was the downtown Omni. We only needed to stay in Austin for one night so I used Priceline for this too. It was only $75 for the night, a real bargain. We had a large corner room and were very happy with it. We had intended to walk down to Town Lake, but unfortunately the temperature had plummeted and it had gotten very foggy. So we did a little shopping, and then had a couple of drinks at the Driskill, a very nice place.

That night we had planned to go to Matt's El Rancho, as someone told us it was the best Tex-Mex in town. But they are closed Tuesday, so we decided to have sushi instead. Our concierge recommended Uchi on south Lamar. We've eaten sushi all over, and I can confidently say that Uchi was the best place we've ever had it. It had a terrific atmosphere, excellent presentation and delicious food. Two big thumbs up from us on Uchi!

Our last two days we were staying in a house in the Sun City community in Georgetown, so the next morning we checked out of the Omni. Before heading north we stopped at the big Whole Foods store on Lamar. We shop at a Whole Foods in Milwaukee that's only been open for a year, and I thought it was a huge store. But the one in Austin has to be over twice as big! We ate lunch there, bought some groceries and headed out. Before going to Sun City, we stopped in Georgetown itself. It's got a really charming town square, and we stopped at the Visitor's Center there to pick up some brochures and maps, then drove to Sun City.

We toured the models at Del Webb, and found a couple that we really liked. Our agent showed us around the property. Unfortunately, it was still too foggy to see much. We had to take his word that there were hills out there. Then we went to our house, which came with a golf cart. Just for laughs we drove around the property in our cart, but it was too cold to do that for too long.

The next two days we pretended we were residents. Their poker club had a game going, and I sat in for an hour. We hit their exercise facility to work off some of the food we'd pounded down all week. And we socialized with the folks that live there. Everybody was VERY nice, and they all loved the place. The last night Cathy wanted to try a local sushi place, so we went to Hayashi, a Japanese restaurant in the Wolf Ranch mall. We had a real good meal there, too. It wasn't Uchi caliber, but I would definitely eat there again.

We left Del Webb the next morning. Before leaving Georgetown we had lunch at the Monument Cafe in town. The restaurant was mentioned on the Roadfood website, and they usually are good judges of cafes. Monument Cafe uses nearly all organic products, getting them from local providers where possible. But the menu consists of typical diner items, so I had organic chicken-fried steak and Cathy had organic enchiladas. The entrees each came with three sides, and everything we tried was delicious. It's very nice inside (for a diner), and has free Wi-Fi. We give this place big thumbs up too. The drive back to San Antonio's airport was uneventful.

When we talked the trip over on the plane, we were in agreement that San Antonio wasn't right for us. The Del Webb there is part of a big planned community, and that isn't what we were looking for. Plus the construction really wore us out. I suppose this won't be going on forever, but it looks like there's a long way to go on it.

However, we were very taken by Austin and Georgetown. The weather was pretty terrible while we were there - although infinitely better than what was going on in Wisconsin - so we saw the area at its worst. And we still liked it a whole lot. And maybe we got lucky, but traffic in Austin wasn't a problem. We could see ourselves making day trips to Austin.

Our first choice for relocating had been a place west of Phoenix, but we both now seem to prefer Georgetown. We intend to return when the weather's nice, probably in late April. If things go as planned it's quite possible that we'll purchase a place at that time.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM

I had a feeling you would like the Georgetown feel over that of SA. I think the small town feel and proximity to Austin makes it a good fit. April is a great time to experience the nice weather in Austin and Texas. (Just remember from late May till September it's hot and humid!)

I personally don't like Matts and think you definitely made the better decision at Uchi. I probably should give Matts' a second chance...haven't been there in years but it was so bad I never wanted to return. But, i'm in the minority. Most like it, tho it is not the best Mexican food in Austin.

Glad you had a good trip!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM

I think you would definitely be making a great choice if you picked Austin/Georgetown. The people are among the friendliest in the country. Too bad you couldn't have visited this weekend ... we just had 70deg and sunny all day long and it felt like Spring already. I also agree that you didn't miss much with Matt's ... it's overrated in my opinion. And having been in Austin a long time, I consider myself a true BBQ fan. I can honestly say that Rudy's is among the best, especially considering it's a chain. Good luck with your choice!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Meant to add that Smittys was a great choice too.

Paul - whenever people rave about Matt's, I always think about the story "The Emperors' New Clothes"... ;-)
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:42 AM

Jimmy,

Welcome back and thanks for the trip report. I too had a feeling you would love Austin and Georgetown and I'm glad you'll be making a trip back soon.

Totally agree about Matt's - not good at all. I've only heard great things about Uchi and you have now reminded me that I still haven't checked it out, so I've made plans to go this week.

Be sure and tell us how your next trip goes!

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 06:28 AM
OO

Thanks for the detailed trip report Jimmy. It is sad you hit this area on the worst days we've had so far this winter, and left just when it got nice. 71 today and tomorrow, 78 Tuesday.

I haven't been out to the San Antonio Del Webb location, but can empathize with your problems with 410. I absolutely, positively refuse to drive on it now, and my Garmin always wants me to! It is a terrible mess, has been a terrible mess since we moved here 2 years ago, and will probably be a terrible mess for years to come.

Do they have homes already in the SA Del Webb? If so, I must say the Georgetown property did an infinitely better job marketing their product. How perfect to be able to stay in a home and experience the lifestyle and how miserable to be put up in a hotel here that needed work and is far from everything. It's not even comparing apples to apples is it?! Austin is a great town...if I could have chosen between SA and Austin, Austin would probably have been my choice too, I must admit. Unfortunately, the choice was made for us by my DH's company.

Weather here is gorgeous in April, but I really think you should see it in a July/August time frame before deciding. The heat can be something else. We moved here from FL so I'm OK with it and hate these winters, but you might not feel the same at all.

Anyway...thanks for the report and for putting up with the most miserable of weeks weather-wise!! You are very right about the friendliness of people here by the way. It's remarkable, isn't it?
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM

Jimmy,

Sorry about the weather. I know it's much better than Wisconsin weather (I watched the Packer's game so I saw how cold it gets up there - man that is cold), but it was miserable (for us) up until yesterday, which started our nice warming trend.

By the way, our weather starts to get nice much earlier than late April. You could visit in March and it would probably be fantastic too.

I also second the suggestions to visit in August and see if you can bear the heat. Wisconsin doesn't see the heat that we do, so you may not be used to it.

Uchi was a great choice and I'm glad the concierge told you to go there - he/she knows his stuff...

Also, Rudy's is about the best introduction to Texas BBQ that you will get. Good choice!

In my opinion, Austin/Georgetown is far better than San Antonio, and I think you'll find the same consensus on this forum.

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:32 AM
J62

Nice trip report - thanks for sharing.

As for Rudy's, I agree it's a great intro to Texas BBQ. It's actually my favorite.

1/2 lb moist brisket, a couple of links, cole slaw, a stack of Mrs Baird's white bread, and a cold beer.

It doesn't get any better, anywhere. My opinion.

Traffic in both SA and Austin can be a mess. Too bad you got caught in it.

Uchi is also one of my Austin fav's. Not your run of the mill sushi, and definitely not cheap. Great, fun atmosphere.

Can't wait to go back to Austin for a visit.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

OO - I can't say anything bad about the SA Del Webb. They have only been open for a few months, while DW Georgetown has been open 10+ years. So they're just getting started. But they did get us a bargain rate at a nearby hotel.

Being new is an advantage, too. The recreation facilities are state of the art, while DW Georgetown's are 10 years old. And since SA is only 10% occupied, you'll have them to yourself for a long time.

It was a very nice place, we just preferred Georgetown.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM

I love Rudy's! I don't know that much about the Georgetown Del Webb community but I sometimes cycle with their cycle club. Everyone I meet is very frienly. Maybe because they are all 20-30 yrs older than me and faster!!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Jimmy - thanks for the report. We always like to find out if our suggestions were (still) good (!).

I think the Austin/Georgetown area is really hard to beat. It offers so much regardless of your interest.

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM

So glad that you enjoyed our fine state. April is a wonderful time to re-visit and experience the wildflowers. I also agree that you should experience August, but I also suggest that you experience August west of Phoenix. Two completely different climates and both can be miserable - one an oven, the other a sauna. Thank Heavens for A/C!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Jimmy, so glad you liked your Texas visit. I work at the Georgetown Hospital in the rehab dept. and we get many patients from Sun City Georgetown. Everyone has had wonderful things to say about it and as you know, many residents come from other states.

We are a family in our mid 30's and we have lived in Georgetown for about 5 years. We enjoy everything about it, other than the commute into Austin! The area is growing partiularly out toward Sun City, so don't be surprised if traffic gets a little more hectic, relatively speaking. And don't forget we can get pretty hot in the summer- from late May to at least early October you will see lots of 90-97 degree days. Good luck!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:32 AM

How great to read that you enjoyed your trip and think you can live happily in the Austin area! I was hoping you'd let us know. I just got home from San Antonio, myself... talked myself into a road trip while I was posting to you! And I even got stuck in the Rodeo traffic, as well as the abysmal 410. Yuck. Although I have to say, watching 35 longhorns making their way through downtown and past the Alamo was a special treat. I do love Texas. And just wait'll you see it when the bluebonnets are out. Cheers.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM

My daughter attends Southwestern University in Georgetown. We love the town and area! Everyone I have met there has been very friendly and helpful. There are numerous good restaruants to eat at. The weather always seems to have a breeze so even if it gets hot it isn't as bad as Houston!